What's new at Coyote RV/Phoenix Pop up?

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Overhead storage cabinets on pop up campers, just say no.

So, I've looked through this several times and don't find any examples of overhead cabinets. Are they even possible with your unique lift system?

Ok, overhead storage cabinets on pop up campers.... gimmick

Here's what I think of overhead cabinets on a pop up camper: Bad Idea.

People buy pop up campers because they are light weight, easy to carry, feel very open inside, and lots of windows all the way around to feel less "boxed in"

Overhead storage cabinets go against all of these great resons for getting a pop up camper.

REAL travelers can pack everything they really need into a couple of saddle bags on their motorcycle or horse and go for weeks at a time, and enjoy themselves thoroughly.

If you can't scale back just a little bit on the amount of JUNK you bring with you on a little camping trip, then you probably need to take a good hard look at how much excessive stuff you FEEL LIKE YOU NEED to get by on.

phird05

I couldn't disagree more. I wouldn't give up my overhead cabinets, nor my under-bed storage for anything. The added space has not compromised my ability to travel over very rough terrain to get to remote locations and has only made things more manageable during travel and once I arrive there. Some of you are clearly, still thinking there are certain pop-up campers out there that are hundreds of pounds lighter than other pop-up campers once they are on our trucks. I won't get into that discussion any more, as it has been beaten to death in several posts over the years. It has always been my opinion get what suits your needs, whether that be added storage, awning or outside shower. I spent 30 years involved in "Mountain Rescue" and yes, it is easy to be a minimalist camper but there is no reason to be a full on minimalist when you have a camper....isn't THAT the reason we have all gone from a bivy sack to a camper ion the first place? It doesn't really matter what you are using to get into the back country...If you're out there, good for you! :)

Good Camping, Paul

docdave

Aspiring overlander
Looks like a trade off to me, no doubt both philosophical and practical.....the Phoenix roof lift system is light and VERY easy to operate, but pretty much pre-empts extra weight on the top, or cabinets. I agree with Rob about the disadvantages of mounting a bunch of stuff on the top, wind resistance, trail limitations and top heavyness, not to mention wear and tear on the top. I expect the Phoenix roof is quite a bit lighter that most others. To compensate for storage "loss" I'm thinking you could use hammock like nets for temp storage while you are camped and maybe a bit higher counter top with more base storage. Also pull out pantries might be a good addition. I use my present overhead storage for light weight boxes and chips over the kitchen, and bedding/pillows for the dinette bed on the other. How are other Phoenix owners getting along without overhead cabinets?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
REAL travelers can pack everything they really need into a couple of saddle bags on their motorcycle or horse and go for weeks at a time, and enjoy themselves thoroughly.

If you can't scale back just a little bit on the amount of JUNK you bring with you on a little camping trip, then you probably need to take a good hard look at how much excessive stuff you FEEL LIKE YOU NEED to get by on.

Wow, bad day at the office? Or are you regretting not going into the saddlebag business?

(Personally I think a "real'' traveler only needs to carry a gun and a knife, and everything else will fall into place.) :elkgrin:

Runt

Adventurer
Easy folks. Rob is one heck of a nice person! He was most likely way to busy making my camper :) It sounded flipent but the truth is not lost. Less gear is a good thing.....but I know what you mean.....really how much do you carry up there? I assume the cabinet weight is the biggest issue? I know I would not want any extra weight up top unless it got me on top of the water and helped me catch fish ;) Off road it adds up quick.....on road....meh....maybe? Idunno.

Last edited:

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Wow, big debate.... funny

Wow, that one really got people talking. Funny to me the things that get people fired up. Don't get me wrong, if someone comes along and says "I want overhead cabinets in my camper" then I will build them... that's why I build custom, so YOU can design your camper your way.

Runt

Adventurer
Can you add add a 60" Plasma TV and surround sound system with power sky lights and 300m3 of storage space....I know you can!......never mind I remember why I wanted a pop up camper to begin with. Just trying to be funny :) ....and a weee bit sarcastic.

Last edited:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Thus the reason I take stuff I read online with a grain of salt.....it may have been better received around a fire while sipp'n a nice mixed beverage....:friday:

How about a keg-a-rater....:wings:

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I guess I started this.....but still, any photos of ovh cabinets? ....and will the work with the manual lift? (now I'm gunna duck) just kidding.....If I didn't think Rob and Coyote RV were innovative and high quality, I wouldn't bother to ask about it.

Last edited:

greg mgm

Explorer
Can you add add a 60" Plasma TV and surround sound system with power sky lights and 300m3 of storage space....I know you can!......never mind I remember why I wanted a pop up camper to begin with. Just trying to be funny :) ....and a weee bit sarcastic.

60" plasma TV in a truck camper....:drool::sombrero:

phird05

I guess I started this.....but still, any photos of ovh cabinets? ....and will the work with the manual lift? (now I'm gunna duck) just kidding.....If I didn't think Rob and Coyote RV were innovative and high quality, I wouldn't bother to ask about it.

My manual lift is different than the FWC/ATC campers, but I would think it would work as my lift system is a crank, lifting the entire roof at the same time and I have no problems with the overheads in use. Sorry, no pictures.

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
overhead storage cabinet picture

Overhead storage cabinets are simple, light weight, storage compartments. Glued and screwed to the ceiling. Strong enough for paper plates, plastic cups, cooking mixes, etc... Just don't put your iron skillet up there, even if it wouldn't rip the bottom off of the cabinet, it might fall out and hit you on the head!

DSC00287.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle