What's the Trick to getting Good Shots?

Overdrive

Adventurer
Wow, talk about telling a story with your photos! McCurry's "Child Soldiers" portfolio was amazing! Thanks for the links.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
First try?

Here's my two girlfriends :wings:

4154595845_58934f1e74.jpg

4154594855_74e0e1fb6d.jpg

4155359758_6a2b9b80b1.jpg

4154597837_61e4902f60.jpg

4154596651_163b7f6360.jpg

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Margaret & I don't have any fancy gear, but like to tell and share our travel stories with friends and family via slide shows that have just a few words, but try to describe what we saw and what we felt.
It is often very difficult, but we enjoy trying.
In this context, sometimes a very ordinary pic is sometimes included to complete a "sentence".
This is a recent example that also fits into your December "slot".
Slide show.....

Taking "nice" pictures is fine, but who are you taking them for?
To share?
For your own satisfaction?
For sale?
I think these questions need answering too?

Cheers,
Peter

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I must be doing something wrong. I'm on campus right now trying to get some pictures of people and I just can't. The ones I've asked have denied me and I've been politely yelled at twice and once cussed at. The best part is that I wasn't even shooting the guy who chewed me out.

Photog

Explorer
I must be doing something wrong. I'm on campus right now trying to get some pictures of people and I just can't. The ones I've asked have denied me and I've been politely yelled at twice and once cussed at. The best part is that I wasn't even shooting the guy who chewed me out.

Yea, the folks on campus will tell everyone that they are tolerant; but they actually turn out to be the least tolerant (the most PC). The one that cussed at you, was probably doing it on someone else's behalf. Their version of saving the whales.

Many folks are just paranoid of the final use of the photos. In public, it has always been considered "fair game", to shoot what you want. But that does not mean it will be easy, unless you like pictures of angry faces.

The best folks to shoot, are those that you know. And a longer lens will be your friend. Search for a used one, 80mm or larger.

matt s

Explorer

In these situations I put the camera on my shoulder and just mingle for a while. I talk to people, say hi, let them know I am no creep. Pretty soon someone will ask about the giant camera you are lugging around. That's your in, use it.

I do this even when working professionally at an event. I will walk up to a group of people, shake some hands, introduce myself and then ask to shoot. Granted in the capacity of the event photog no one really gives you a hard time and generally hams it up. I do this early on, then later on people are comfortable with you and have seen you shooting all night. At this point I am able to get candid shots with out people getting upset (or paying any attention to me at all) when they discover me.

justfred

Adventurer
I plan to start carrying a decent-sized picture (painting) frame as a "conversation starter" - and to let people make their decisions about what I get to take a picture of.

BTW, in case y'all missed the other thread, I created an "Expedition Portal" group on Flickr, you're welcome to post there (or just look!). I seeded it with a pile of Pinzgauer pictures. http://www.flickr.com/groups/1264977@N24/

Stan the Man

Adventurer
In these situations I put the camera on my shoulder and just mingle for a while. I talk to people, say hi, let them know I am no creep. Pretty soon someone will ask about the giant camera you are lugging around. That's your in, use it.

I do this even when working professionally at an event. I will walk up to a group of people, shake some hands, introduce myself and then ask to shoot. Granted in the capacity of the event photog no one really gives you a hard time and generally hams it up. I do this early on, then later on people are comfortable with you and have seen you shooting all night. At this point I am able to get candid shots with out people getting upset (or paying any attention to me at all) when they discover me.

Sounds good. I've been taking my camera when I hang out with my buddies. They keep giving me a hard time about it :elkgrin:

This photo is from the other week:

4157541824_c5b26086e4.jpg

And this one is of my friend Alex last weekend. If I've ever met a hippie, this would be it.

4165814720_dfbb54943f.jpg

Besides that I haven't had a chance to make many photos. I'm slightly slacking on my quantity and quality of shots eh? I've been busy with finals for the past two weeks, but come Thursday I'll have all the time in the world!

Photog

Explorer
Stay focused on your schooling. You have a lot more invested (time & $$$$$$) in that. Work on your photography, when you can let your mind relax a bit.

Good luck on your finals.:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179