When is it time to move on? XK with 180K and JKUR with 145K.

wild1

Adventurer
Hello all,

My wife has an awesome Commander, Hemi, Quadra drive 2, OME lift, control arms, 255/75R17 tires on nice rims. It is a ************** Commander. At 180K it is still fairly reliable.
But, it has 180K and it's 13 years old. Little stuff pops up all the time now, like the power windows failing 150 miles from home, or the seat ECU not remembering where the seat was 5 minutes ago.

My JKUR had 145K miles. It's built. Teraflex pre-runner long arms with Fox 2.0 shocks on 35's, bumper, winch, headers, intake, and tons more that would take several paragraphs to describe. But, it's been used for what I built it for. I would venture to say that of the 145K on it, at least 60K was on dirt.
It needs an engine, the manual trans isn't up to a Hemi, so if I went that route I would need a Getrag 238, the front axle housing has a bend to it, the transfer case make noise, the drive shaft have seen better days, it need a better power steering pump, the front seat are shot and hurt my ass after an hour, it has dents and dings all over it. But, I am attached to it and it isn't the easiest thing to part with.

So I am considering selling the Commander, the JK, my Mini Cooper S, my show new looking 1989 Cherokee that I just inherited from the original owner, and my comanchee. When I look up the values and other similar vehicles, it ads up to about the price of a brand new Jeep JT Rubicon. I think I could get over parting with my JK if I could buy one of those.
We would still need to replace the Commander. My wife says if we sell everything, we could also put cash into it and get a more recent Grand Cherokee along with the new JT.

My whole reason for buying my JKUR back in 2008 (bought new) was because I had a built Land Rover Disco 1, a stock Disco 1, a RR Classic mildly built, and a Freelander. Yep, we were Land Rover all the way fore a while and it served us well. But we drove the crap out of the built Disco 1. I bought it with 75K and sold it with 225K because I couldn't keep up with maintenance and repairs. I'm in the same boat now. I want to spend the time traveling, not working on it. My JKUR is great around the small town I live in, it has explored everything interesting with in a few hours of home. But I is too built up as an off roader to fell comfortable traveling 2 or 3 states away via pavement, and then driving home on dirt. That's what we like to do, and I think a nearly stock JT Rubicon would do that just fine.

How do other overland oriented Jeep people feel? I know there is all levels of financial ability her on Expo, some here have to make do with high mileage rig if they want to get out there. I get that, I've been there. My wife and I are lucky that we have had fairly good careers, no debt, no kids and can afford to upgrade. There were many years where $500 dollar beaters were what we could afford and we made them work and took some incredible trips. I am a pro mechanic with 25 years of experience, I can fix anything, and could probably keep either of the Jeeps running for 300K. But why?
How do others think about this? How long do you drive a rig for before it becomes too worn out to really trust. Just because I can fix anything, doesn't mean I find much joy in doing it anymore, 25 years using wrenches does that to you.

David.
Hello all,

My wife has an awesome Commander, Hemi, Quadra drive 2, OME lift, control arms, 255/75R17 tires on nice rims. It is a ************** Commander. At 180K it is still fairly reliable.
But, it has 180K and it's 13 years old. Little stuff pops up all the time now, like the power windows failing 150 miles from home, or the seat ECU not remembering where the seat was 5 minutes ago.

My JKUR had 145K miles. It's built. Teraflex pre-runner long arms with Fox 2.0 shocks on 35's, bumper, winch, headers, intake, and tons more that would take several paragraphs to describe. But, it's been used for what I built it for. I would venture to say that of the 145K on it, at least 60K was on dirt.
It needs an engine, the manual trans isn't up to a Hemi, so if I went that route I would need a Getrag 238, the front axle housing has a bend to it, the transfer case make noise, the drive shaft have seen better days, it need a better power steering pump, the front seat are shot and hurt my ass after an hour, it has dents and dings all over it. But, I am attached to it and it isn't the easiest thing to part with.

So I am considering selling the Commander, the JK, my Mini Cooper S, my show new looking 1989 Cherokee that I just inherited from the original owner, and my comanchee. When I look up the values and other similar vehicles, it ads up to about the price of a brand new Jeep JT Rubicon. I think I could get over parting with my JK if I could buy one of those.
We would still need to replace the Commander. My wife says if we sell everything, we could also put cash into it and get a more recent Grand Cherokee along with the new JT.

My whole reason for buying my JKUR back in 2008 (bought new) was because I had a built Land Rover Disco 1, a stock Disco 1, a RR Classic mildly built, and a Freelander. Yep, we were Land Rover all the way fore a while and it served us well. But we drove the crap out of the built Disco 1. I bought it with 75K and sold it with 225K because I couldn't keep up with maintenance and repairs. I'm in the same boat now. I want to spend the time traveling, not working on it. My JKUR is great around the small town I live in, it has explored everything interesting with in a few hours of home. But I is too built up as an off roader to fell comfortable traveling 2 or 3 states away via pavement, and then driving home on dirt. That's what we like to do, and I think a nearly stock JT Rubicon would do that just fine.

How do other overland oriented Jeep people feel? I know there is all levels of financial ability her on Expo, some here have to make do with high mileage rig if they want to get out there. I get that, I've been there. My wife and I are lucky that we have had fairly good careers, no debt, no kids and can afford to upgrade. There were many years where $500 dollar beaters were what we could afford and we made them work and took some incredible trips. I am a pro mechanic with 25 years of experience, I can fix anything, and could probably keep either of the Jeeps running for 300K. But why?
How do others think about this? How long do you drive a rig for before it becomes too worn out to really trust. Just because I can fix anything, doesn't mean I find much joy in doing it anymore, 25 years using wrenches does that to you.

David.
Went through a similar review of how we want to position ourselves for the last quarter of our lives. We ended up selling all of our neat old stuff and getting a new JLUR, a Ram cab diesel and a new Northern Lite camper. It's so nice to not have to think about what preventive maintenance I need to do or what that new noise is a thousand miles from home. We just got back from a 2000 mile backroad tour to the Alpine Loop in Colorado. The Jeep was perfect for the trip, rolling down the scenic byways at 65 mph or low and locked climbing up the 4x4 routes on the Alpine Loop. We slept in the back on a storage/sleep platform that kept us dry , warm and out of reach of the bears( they did pay us a visit!). Dead stock the JKUR easily walked through everything we threw at it all the while delivering 21 miles to the gallon over the course of the trip. I would highly recommend getting a new ride, it has been a game changer for us.

Attachments

• IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    664.9 KB · Views: 21

DesertJK

Adventurer
Went through a similar review of how we want to position ourselves for the last quarter of our lives. We ended up selling all of our neat old stuff and getting a new JLUR, a Ram cab diesel and a new Northern Lite camper. It's so nice to not have to think about what preventive maintenance I need to do or what that new noise is a thousand miles from home. We just got back from a 2000 mile backroad tour to the Alpine Loop in Colorado. The Jeep was perfect for the trip, rolling down the scenic byways at 65 mph or low and locked climbing up the 4x4 routes on the Alpine Loop. We slept in the back on a storage/sleep platform that kept us dry , warm and out of reach of the bears( they did pay us a visit!). Dead stock the JKUR easily walked through everything we threw at it all the while delivering 21 miles to the gallon over the course of the trip. I would highly recommend getting a new ride, it has been a game changer for us.

I agree on it being a game changer. When I sold my Rover and bought the JKUR we put 6000 miles on it in about 2 months. I am looking forward to that again.
The hard thing is leaving it stock, or deciding how much to add or change. Almost everywhere I go in my JKUR on 35's with all the awesome suspension, I think that a stock Rubicon could have done this no problem. If I am out looking for obstacles, I rarely even find anything that both difficult, ethical, or legal to drive over. I think decent body and under carriage protection (aluminum skids) and a winch mounted to an aluminum front bumper will keep it light and protect it. As far as suspension, I don't want larger tires than the 33's on the Rubicon, but I can see installing slightly stiffer/taller springs once I have the winch, and upgrading shocks and bump stops. My Teraflex bump stops make a HUGE difference if you push to hard and bottom the suspension.

wild1

Adventurer
I agree on it being a game changer. When I sold my Rover and bought the JKUR we put 6000 miles on it in about 2 months. I am looking forward to that again.
The hard thing is leaving it stock, or deciding how much to add or change. Almost everywhere I go in my JKUR on 35's with all the awesome suspension, I think that a stock Rubicon could have done this no problem. If I am out looking for obstacles, I rarely even find anything that both difficult, ethical, or legal to drive over. I think decent body and under carriage protection (aluminum skids) and a winch mounted to an aluminum front bumper will keep it light and protect it. As far as suspension, I don't want larger tires than the 33's on the Rubicon, but I can see installing slightly stiffer/taller springs once I have the winch, and upgrading shocks and bump stops. My Teraflex bump stops make a HUGE difference if you push to hard and bottom the suspension.
I think this is the first vehicle I have ever owned that I am perfectly content with the way it is. I am happy that I got the steel bumpers , led light package and the heavy tow but the base Rubicon is amazingly well balanced. Compared to my old LJ Rubicon this thing is a dream on the road and gives up little if anything when the going gets western.

DesertJK

Adventurer
I think this is the first vehicle I have ever owned that I am perfectly content with the way it is. I am happy that I got the steel bumpers , led light package and the heavy tow but the base Rubicon is amazingly well balanced. Compared to my old LJ Rubicon this thing is a dream on the road and gives up little if anything when the going gets western.

I thought my 2008 Rubicon was better and more capable than the heavily modified Rover it replaced. I don't care if it can't do what my JK can do now, like I said, I built it, and now don't really use it for that much. Road manners and some amount of fuel range along with reliability is what I am after and thats what will get me back out in the woods instead of in my shop endlessly working on the Jeeps.

DesertJK

Adventurer
I have a different take on the old v.s. new thing;
As long as the body and frame are acceptable (paint can be replaced) I tend to re-power the vehicle using modern parts and design technology... It gets rid of most of the poorly done previous owner "improvements" and gives me 200k to 300k good miles..before the next re-build. Unless it rusts away in which case I take a step down to a newer vehicle.. rarely are new vehicle significantly better, IMO.
That said I am getting older now so; if I do it again, after this TJ, I will have some one else do the build.
When reworking the power train I have learned to stay way from super deep transfer case gearing. Hint 4:1 is too deep for me for 98% of uses ESPECIALLY with an automatic transmission (manual transmissions, my preferance for reliability, depending on the gear ratios sometimes work well with 4:1 transfer cases, its very much a driver decision/preference.)...Atlas transfer cases have a number of options.
Axle assemblies are selected for strength and geared to the tire size (limited by the body ) for best (interstate) cruise rpm and torque.

Enjoy!

I used to feel that way. I have done the same thing with aircraft mostly, but they still do not compare to new metal.
As far as building new trucks out of old ones. I was intending to completely repower a Comanche I have. It's straight and rust free, and would be awesome with a new drive train and some paint.
I am volunteer/stipend fire fighter and medic. I went to a 2 car rollover partial head on collision. It was a current Tacoma vs. a 1990's Cherokee. The Cherokee came apart, no airbags, door flew off, roof was 60% lower, occupants partially ejected. It wasn't pretty. The Tacoma was also hammered. Not much left of it to the point it took us a minute to figure out what kind of truck it was. The doors stayed shut, the airbags deployed. Passenger had a nasty head wound from loose stuff in the cab (may have been an ammo box) The drivers injuries were superficial and mostly from the airbag and glass.

Old cars are neat. New cars are just better.

jeeepguy

Adventurer
I have a 98 Grand Limited with 287k on the odo. In the last year I have replaced the engine with a new crate motor, got a new tranny, rebuilt the entire suspension including new axles/gears with a three link/four link se tup and replaced every moving part on the rig. and a ton of other stuff... It will go another 200k easily, go anywhere and has every amenity and feature I will ever want or need. $25k later, I have virtually a new rig with none of the problems associated with newer computerized rigs and can get anything fixed on it for very little and easily. You won't catch me in a new rig, no chance.
Last week I was out on a wheeling trip and gashed thre front pass. fender pretty badly. Went down to a pick and pull, found a color matching perfect condition one for #40 and bolted it up in less than 1/2 a day. Love it! :)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I used to feel that way. I have done the same thing with aircraft mostly, but they still do not compare to new metal.
As far as building new trucks out of old ones. I was intending to completely repower a Comanche I have. It's straight and rust free, and would be awesome with a new drive train and some paint.
I am volunteer/stipend fire fighter and medic. I went to a 2 car rollover partial head on collision. It was a current Tacoma vs. a 1990's Cherokee. The Cherokee came apart, no airbags, door flew off, roof was 60% lower, occupants partially ejected. It wasn't pretty. The Tacoma was also hammered. Not much left of it to the point it took us a minute to figure out what kind of truck it was. The doors stayed shut, the airbags deployed. Passenger had a nasty head wound from loose stuff in the cab (may have been an ammo box) The drivers injuries were superficial and mostly from the airbag and glass.

Thank you for your service! So few are actually out there doing what you do. But....while new vehicles do have great engineering and safety systems, 1 degree either way in an accident can change everything, regardless of the technology. Fate, karma and just wrong place at the wrong time can be a **********.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I think the JTUR's look cool as hell but at $55-60K I think they are grossly overpriced. It wouldn't work for us either since we need an air conditioned space inside the cab for our two large dogs and the back seat of the JTUR is scary cramped. But for your needs and financial status it sounds like the move makes sense. I looked at a JTUR the other day at the local dealer and I'll be honest, in stock form they look like they really only need a winch and a bed rack and you can quite literally go anywhere in the US. We all like lifts and bigger tires but there doesn't appear to be much need with how these are setup from the factory. Maybe slap some 35's on it and be content?!

In closing I'd support liquidating your fleet and moving to two newer Jeeps in your case. Go enjoy going on new adventures and making new memories with little to no fuss from the rigs.

86scotty

Cynic
My .02? Keep the Cherokee around for fun. Trade everything else in on something new be it a Gladiator or not. Personally, for me, I don't see the draw. If you want a truck I think there are better options. Sounds like you have space to keep an extra vehicle around, in fact, sounds like you'd still have lots more with 3 vehicles. Buy her whatever she wants.

I am also currently trying to figure out what to buy my wife. She drives my 16 Rubicon some but doesn't want to drive a manual every day. Options are few.

Just remember what a good problem this is to have! As said above, enjoy that new car smell.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You could always change hobbies and visit the "National Quilting Museum" in Paducah KY.

Cheaper/easier as you don't have to liquidate or buy anything, easy to git to and nice rolling scenery on the way there!

Justincredible

Adventurer
Are you running factory wheels on your JK or have you gone aftermarket?
If the latter, swap the wheels and 35" tires over to the new JTR. No need for a lift. The dealership will even flash it for you to account for the larger tires.
It sounds to me like you already know what you want, but you're understandably hesitant going from several vehicles with no payment to two new vehicles with one payment.

MOguy

Explorer
My 01 TJ has NEVER given me problems other than a few that I created because of how I used it. I have an 04 Caviler that is like magic and even with about 230K has very few problems.

My 2011 Acadia Denali was a constant problem.

My family car is a leased 2019 Camry. In three years it turns into a leased 2022 something else, no problems.

Get what works for you, it is all a roll of the dice. There are ways to increase the odds in you favor but no perfect answer.

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer

Re-powering is, relatively, easy, upgrading old vehicles safety is less so.
All of my rebuild have had enhanced engineered multi point roll cages , for example (If it didn't come from the factory with at least a pretense at a roll cage; are you sure you really want to risk your body in it off road?) and most have had (in the last few decades enhanced 4 wheel disc brakes, 5 point harnesses etc)... Necessary upgrades IMO.

If you are looking for something that cannot be splattered; you are going to be disappointed; especially if the vehicles have been modded by incompetents, using coat hanger welds and similar thinking.
Mod to as near, or better than, appropriate, current tech as possible (but use a vehicle with a frame or at least install an engineered roll cage and unibody frame stiffeners) IMO... the frame is for longevity more than safety; unreinforced unibodies are only good for a few years of Hard off road/extreme trail, abuse, in my experience.

Avoid Takata air bags, unless you want to drive around with something approximating a shotgun pointed at you....

Enjoy!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
.Avoid Takata air bags, unless you want to drive around with something approximating a shotgun pointed at you....

Geeze, that’s one heck of a scary image! You really have a way with words.

Great advice though, as hard as it otherwise might be to avoid these...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
We had both Takata airbags replaced in my wifes 2008 Ram 4WD truck last fall under the Federal Recall Program. I watched the tech spend about 15 minutes each to replace the drivers and passenger side bag. I asked him specifically what was wrong with the airbags to cause the problem that some describe as "Shrapnel" and led to the Federal recall.

He told me and showed me that the soft metal case that encloses the airbag assembly can surface rust and it is those rust particles that accumulate on the metal case that cause the problem when the airbag deploys and those rust particles become small projectiles. The more the rust there is on the airbag case the bigger the potential problem. That's why vehicles in humid or coastal climates were far more susceptible to this problem than those from dryer climates and why vehicles in those humid or coastal areas of the USA received priority when it came to Federal airbag recall replacement plan. He says there are no issues with the form or function of the Takata airbag with no metal at all inside the airbag itself just the issue that the exterior soft metal case into which the airbag itself is enclosed within can surface rust causing the problem of metal rust particles becoming projectiles/shrapnel when the airbag deploys during an accident.

Both airbags from my wife's truck were absolutely perfect with not one spec of rust on the soft metal case of either one. Still both airbags were replaced with new airbag assemblies installed in my wife's truck per the requirements of the Federal Recall Notice.

It all sounded good to me!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger