when is it time to move on.

Rand24

i have a heavily modified lr4 - aux gas tank, fridge in middle seat traxide, light bars compmotives etc etc.....its an awesome vehicle and i have no desire to replace it - bet i've put 15k in it over last 3 years though....easily.

I wonder when you all think of whats the replacement - what do you come up with? finding a v8 lr4 that has the timing chain done and less than 100k is getting hard.....though prices are pretty good.

i have seen the first few diesel land cruisers imported under the 25 year exemption (i think).....i really like diesel - have a diesel Toureg too.....those are easier to find and I may end up going that route
but wonder what you all mull over when you think "whats next" - i do off-roading with my wife and dog.....and i do a lot of highway miles - i'm not against another LR4.....

disco 5?(whatever the new one is) is occasionally around in a diesel.......its plenty capable enough offroad for me - i hear the engine is super iffy.

gabrielef

Skip the TDV6 D5, expensive emissions issues are popping up. Warranty may or may not cover them ($15K+)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJLI

Adventurer
I have a while (only 87k miles on my LR4) but if I was looking?

New 2024 (25?) Land Cruiser or gx550
Grenadier
Used L405

gabrielef

I have a while (only 87k miles on my LR4) but if I was looking?

New 2024 (25?) Land Cruiser or gx550
Grenadier
Used L405

I just got a Grenadier, it’s amazing. Not as comfortable per se as my 3 L319’s but is amazing as an off-road platform. Easier to adapt and modify than L319’s, that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Howski

I’m in a bit of the same boat with my LR3. I’m over 170k miles but only drive 7,500 or so miles per year. Have a several more years to even get to 200k which is now commonplace for this platform. I’ve considered a lower mile LR4 (timing chain unknown scares me a bit). Not sure it’s worth it versus picking up a D5. The D5 is lacking in looks but is super capable with updated tech. The SCV6 is the same from the later gen LR4’s. Guess part of this depends on your needs and whether this vehicle will serve as a DD too. With such low carrying costs, I’m leaning toward keeping the LR3 as a camping vehicle and adding a D5 to the fleet at some point. If I end up not using the LR3 much then sell it and lightly mod the D5.

gabrielef

I’d consider a used new Defender before a D5. The load capacity of a D5 is barely 1200 lbs, where as the Defender is about 1900. The Defender is the true successor to the LR4 in every way except the badging.

JackW

Explorer
I went from an LR3 to a D5 diesel to a 2020 Defender 110 P300 with the 4 cylinder. It's a great truck and I couldn't be happier. It's my twentieth Land Rover - I still have a D90 with the 300 TDI and two old Series IIA's. The Defender 110 is our daily driver and it's been phenomenal.

The D5 was a great truck, comfortable, very capable off road, more room inside than the new Defender, and had a 600+ mile range on the highway. The new Defender is even more capable off road and it makes me very happy - it just plain works.

I was hoping Land Rover would bring in the six cylinder diesel Defender. The 110 is a worthy successor to the long line of Land Rovers I've owned over the last 52 years.

_X0I3943.jpg

Talladega 1.jpg

Last edited:

PhyrraM

Adventurer
I, personally, would be looking at Defenders once they hit the used market at reasonable prices. I, again personally, prefer IFS/IRS or solid/solid trucks and not IFS/solid combos. That pretty much leaves Land Rovers, Wranglers (which don't interest me), other European trucks (which rarely hold up to the Land Rovers off-road), and the new (unproven so far) Grenadier.

I've settled for a (well used, but solid) 5.0V8 supercharged L494 Range Rover Sport until Defenders come down in price. That being said, I land somewhere between a weekend warrior and 3 weeks across Africa in cargo requirements, so the size is fine for me.

Howski

I do like the 2nd gen RRS but you will find out it has considerably less interior volume (for people and cargo) than an LR4. Should be a fun platform to build from

Rand24

guess im thinking disco v diesel and roll those dice....or a 110 4 cylinder - about 50k now for
a 40k miles example and scale from there.... just bought a 1600 pound teardrop too....all 3 of these vehicles fine for that. the toureg too....

the LR4 has been awesome and im still thinking of dumping 8k in her for a timing belt job and all the associated bits....might be worth another 30k miles before its well and truly over.

wish there was a slam dunk - maybe its the 110 p300

JackW

Explorer
My D5 diesel would tow a 3500 lb trailer at 70+ mph without even breathing hard - and get over 20 mpg doing it. It was a great tow vehicle.

Discovery&Escape17.jpg

It also was pressed into service to tow a friends wooden sailboat to Beaufort, SC

Boat in tow.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
My D5 diesel would tow a 3500 lb trailer at 70+ mph without even breathing hard - and get over 20 mpg doing it. It was a great tow vehicle.

View attachment 817856

It also was pressed into service to tow a friends wooden sailboat to Beaufort, SC

View attachment 817855
Those stats are impressive, the problem is you’ll never break even when you factor in diesel repairs, if they happen- and they seem to happen at a greater frequency then gas motors.

JackW

Explorer
I traded the D5 in on the new 110 when it was introduced - but it never gave me any issues during the 3 years and 24,000 miles I owned it. I rarely took the D5 on any of the trails I happily traverse in the new Defender but the few times I did it proved to be very capable.
I did get almost 640 miles on one tank of fuel on a trip to visit my wife's family in upstate New York - Atlanta to central Pennsylvania on one tank of fuel (but I should have stopped in northern Virginia to top up as Pennsylvania has the highest fuel tax in the continental US.)

The main thing I didn't like about the D5 was the rear hatch - I would have much preferred a lift gate/tail gate like LR3/LR4. I saw an artist rendering of a D5 with a more squared off tail with that configuration and it looked much better. One good thing about the D5 was the cavernous interior and really usable 3rd row seats. I didn't use them often but they were very comfortable for full size adults and you still had some usable luggage space behind them.

Two of my other Land Rovers are diesels - the 1966 109" has well over 300K miles on it - the D90 has about 160K - the 110 and the 1967 88" are 4 cylinder gasoline. I think the new Land Cruisers look pretty intriguing but I'm way too committed to Land Rovers to switch now - better the devil I know. All of the Rovers I own now are 4 cylinders - at my age they have plenty of power and the relative simplicity of a 4 cylinder motor has a lot of appeal.
I do have one swoopy sports car to balance out the boxy transportation appliances but it has a 4 cylinder as well - I highly recommend the Miata.

trade in day.jpg

109 - AC1.jpg

IMG_20220202_111208078.jpg

67PU-1.jpg

C12P8862-X4.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior