when is it time to move on.

Howski

I’d get a nice clean 200 series and leave all those troubles behind.
A 200 will have double the miles and twice the price of most any Rover option mentioned so far. While reliable and well built they’re not completely without issue as everyone makes them to be.

Know several folks with the TD6 who share Jack’s praises. That said, they are not for everyone. If you’re driving habits are mostly in town stop/start as it’ll clog the DPF much quicker.

Rand24

Those stats are impressive, the problem is you’ll never break even when you factor in diesel repairs, if they happen- and they seem to happen at a greater frequency then gas motors.
see original post - im dumping gobs of money into a car that i love - i'm not at all about breaking even - im looking at japanese market diesel landcruisers that come under the 25 year exemption (not really knowing if this is a thing or not). I had a 2003 landcruiser with 101,000 miles that went south so badly. I was unimpressed. If I had been in like with the car I would have fixed it up and kept going but - it was a flavorless bus. I'm not anti-toyota but Im sorta anti that cruiser and gx's.....just me. 4runner? maybe.

i am beginning to notice that the d5 is new and might require a lot of money at some point but be excellent - so for me, that or a 4 cyl. 110. or the timing belt job. Anyway just thoughts.

gmtech

Observer
yes his has slick top also no sunroofs to leak. but it has the 4.0l v6. i watch a bunch of their videos but i wish they would take them on longer trips than just 15 miles up to the same old hill they take everything up. they need to do road trips like the Gears and Gasoline youtube guys . then they would get some views .

XJLI

Adventurer
yes his has slick top also no sunroofs to leak. but it has the 4.0l v6. i watch a bunch of their videos but i wish they would take them on longer trips than just 15 miles up to the same old hill they take everything up. they need to do road trips like the Gears and Gasoline youtube guys . then they would get some views .

Nah, they got their schtick. Changing it up will just hurt the channel overall and won't make them any more money.

DieselRanger

i have a heavily modified lr4 - aux gas tank, fridge in middle seat traxide, light bars compmotives etc etc.....its an awesome vehicle and i have no desire to replace it - bet i've put 15k in it over last 3 years though....easily.

I wonder when you all think of whats the replacement - what do you come up with? finding a v8 lr4 that has the timing chain done and less than 100k is getting hard.....though prices are pretty good.

i have seen the first few diesel land cruisers imported under the 25 year exemption (i think).....i really like diesel - have a diesel Toureg too.....those are easier to find and I may end up going that route
but wonder what you all mull over when you think "whats next" - i do off-roading with my wife and dog.....and i do a lot of highway miles - i'm not against another LR4.....

disco 5?(whatever the new one is) is occasionally around in a diesel.......its plenty capable enough offroad for me - i hear the engine is super iffy.
My 2017 D5 Td6 has been utterly rock solid - I will drive it until the wheels fall off. 18" Compomotive wheels, 70-series tires, and Lucky8 rock sliders and she goes anywhere I point her. Can't beat the torque for offroading above 10,000 feet in Colorado. And 500 mile range on the Interstate ain't bad either.

The Td6 engine was largely well made - it's a Ford /Pugeot joint venture and it was in service for a loooong time before it came to the States. People mostly had issues with the SD4 (early Ingenium) that was sold outside the USA - lots of failed turbo's and balance shaft issues. Ford used a version of the Td6 in the F150 for a bit, albeit with a beefed up cam and piston rings for a 10,000lb tow rating, but nobody wanted a diesel F150 so they stopped selling them after a couple years. The ZF transmissions are bombproof - it's an 8HP and the same one used in 600hp Bentleys and Porsche Cayennes - as equipped it's well under its rated HP and torque specs.

As with any used vehicle, check the service record. Problem vehicles will show up there, and will generally be electrical issues with the head unit. If the service record is clean, the vehicle should be reliable.

DieselRanger

A 200 will have double the miles and twice the price of most any Rover option mentioned so far. While reliable and well built they’re not completely without issue as everyone makes them to be.

Know several folks with the TD6 who share Jack’s praises. That said, they are not for everyone. If you’re driving habits are mostly in town stop/start as it’ll clog the DPF much quicker.
Can't emphasize enough that the key to any diesel engine's longevity is to drive it hard but take it easy. Long highway trips and offroad in low range - the stop-and-go will kill it.

Source a diesel from the Western US except for LA or the Bay Area.

rparker017

I just got a Grenadier, it’s amazing. Not as comfortable per se as my 3 L319’s but is amazing as an off-road platform. Easier to adapt and modify than L319’s, that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been interested in the Grenadier. Got to crawl through one at Overland East. Liked most of what I saw. Interested to hear about your first hand experience.

I’ve been a Toyota guy for a long time. Don’t know much about BMW motors. Wondering how many miles one can expect from the Grenadier drivetrain.

gabrielef

I’ve been interested in the Grenadier. Got to crawl through one at Overland East. Liked most of what I saw. Interested to hear about your first hand experience.

I’ve been a Toyota guy for a long time. Don’t know much about BMW motors. Wondering how many miles one can expect from the Grenadier drivetrain.

Until the Grenadier I didn’t know much about the motor either. It’s the B58 in the US market, a twin-scroll turbo in-line 6, defined to 283HP with 332 lbs of torque. The ROW gets the same petrol motor and the diesel B57 motor. In over a million vehicles, including Supras, X5’s, and 340i’s, it’s actually a great engine. Its variants have been voted the best motor in the world several times.

Mated to the ZF 8-speed transmission and a Tremec two-speed transfer case, its design to last a long time. My LR4 has the same ZF in it.

If you’re coming from classic Toyota’s like 60 Series or 80 Series, you’ll love the Grenadier. Has an OG feel in a modern design. Comfortable but rugged for sure. Not too many complaints yet, mostly small bugs, but no deal breakers. I’d say on their first go, Ineos hit it 90%-95%. Some tweaks will make it even better.

Rand24

Can't emphasize enough that the key to any diesel engine's longevity is to drive it hard but take it easy. Long highway trips and offroad in low range - the stop-and-go will kill it.

Source a diesel from the Western US except for LA or the Bay Area.
im in colorado and the car is planned for long cruises - in comfort with the wife and dog and then a little teardrop trailering.
this is very useful and may tip the ledger. thanks.

a quick look at online inventory show very few diesels with the 2 buttons on the lower left, which i assume indicates traction control 2 and thus probably sufficient for my needs. I think any version as long as it has air suspension would work for me but i'd like to have at least low range - i really don't think i need the rear locker - have it on the current lr4 and have never used it. Thanks all for thoughts. i think I am gonna go this route for better or worse...thinking about keeping the lr4 for more serious off roading - i know i will never find another one with the arb aux tank.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

TR2 and the low range gearbox are essentials IMO, but a locking rear diff isn't unless you plan on towing in deep snow or mud. Low range is good for the steep rocky/loose stuff (think San Juans/Ouray area or Mosca Pass), and the diesel plus Low Range makes it almost effortless.

Red Noland JLR Colorado Springs is a fantastic dealer. Might cost a penny or two more but they might be able to help source one.

The D5 is on the order of 550lb lighter than the LR4 and it's a far stiffer vehicle. I think the center of gravity might be lower, as it has better side slope capabilities, especially when in offroad height, and it has better fording depth as well - there's a sort of built-in snorkel in the hood.

Aux fuel tanks aren't common but you can get them, and there are suspension lifts (not just Johnson Rods, but an actual lift that raises the unibody) in addition to trail armor, winch, etc in aftermarket now.

XJLI

Adventurer
Aux fuel tanks aren't common but you can get them, and there are suspension lifts (not just Johnson Rods, but an actual lift that raises the unibody) in addition to trail armor, winch, etc in aftermarket now.

Those subframe lifts are cool but I wish someone would just start making portals for these trucks. D110 + Portals and 35s on stock suspension? Yes please.

DieselRanger

Those subframe lifts are cool but I wish someone would just start making portals for these trucks. D110 + Portals and 35s on stock suspension? Yes please.
Portals are cool, but with air and independent suspension, do you really need them? They cost a lot in terms of efficiency and maintenance for frankly little gain in ground clearance on the new D7 architecture. The bottoms are flat anyway, no pumpkins, so raising the suspension on subframe lifts gives you more ground clearance for the dollar. The guys at Land Rover Denver got 35's with a 4" subframe lift, dogbone kit, spacers, and re-mount of the intercooler (it sits behind the front bumper in front of the wheel wells on the D110). On both the D5 and the New Defender, relocating the intercooler and fender trimming is required to get 35's on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior