where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I would love to see a cayenne out in the dirt. People don't question a subaru but a cayenne build and people freak out. If you have the means, why not go for it? A lot of the the travels on here can easily be done in a stock subaru...

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
We searched for a long time before succumbing to our reasonable side and picking the Lexus GX 470. 7 seater, toyota reliability, parts interchange with V8 4runners for the most part. Super comfy, my wife likes it and drives it daily as well. We paid under 20k for it with 80k on the clock. Put another couple thousand in it with OME suspension and a special order ARB (Prado 120) bumper and a winch.

It does everything we need daily, and allows for everything we do on the weekends. Not that I don't still want a D90, G500, Cayenne, or V10 Touareg. But this splits the difference, and appeals to our sensible side. Granted a lot of it came with how my wife liked being in it, and the tow capacity (and built in brake controller port). But really, whatever suits your type of travel and activities. The Touareg and Pepper didn't suit us because of the skid plate sourcing issues due to the rally sweep usage. and the D90 isn't really much of a 'famiy' hauler. then the G500 was just impossible to find, and much more $$.

But we are happy:
252002_2213368784458_1554706779_2315784_2069644_n.jpg

Last edited:

SRN

Adventurer
The thing that's so interesting about this forum, is the number of people that come here with a 'serious offroad' background. There's not a lot of rock crawling going on here folks. It's all (or almost all) on roads of some sort. They might be bad roads, with hundreds of miles of washboard or with foot deep ruts from commercial trucks passing through in the rainy season - but they're still roads.

Every post that I read that someone says, "You'd never get that up the Porcupine Corkscrew!" reminds me how few people actually understand the concept of 'overlanding'. I think it was Scott that said in one of his posts (to paraphrase) '... in reality, almost everything we do could be done with a Westfalia, and everywhere we go we find a clapped out Corolla has been there before us ...".

A Cayenne is a near perfect platform for overlanding. It had power to spare. It has an absolutely rigid superstructure. The lower control arms are high strength steel to withstand tons of abuse, while the uppers are lightweight aluminum to save weight. It has a great awd system. It has a phenomenal suspension that delivers fantastic on road performance coupled with fantastic 'off road' performance. If you've seen anything of the Trans Siberia, you've seen how fantastic they are.

What's the issue?

Nobody blinks an eye when you tell them you're taking your Rover to the ends of the earth, and nobody blinks an eye when you tell them that the damned Rover broke down on the way to the supermarket - again! But tell them that you're taking your Cayenne down a fire road and they all 'helpfully' tell you how it's going to break down in the middle of nowhere and 'what will you do then?'

The primary definition of 'expedition' states that it is a 'journey'. Getting up the Porcupine Corkscrew on a Saturday afternoon is not a 'journey'. The secondary definition of 'expedition' is 'promptness in acting - dispatch'. In a Cayenne, arguably, you can undertake a 'journey' with more 'dispatch' than you can with any other vehicle in the world.

Try to keep up. :victory:

I don’t think anyone has suggested that a Cayenne could make it up this “Porcupine Corkscrew” that you mention. I think most of the questions have been due in large part to the cost of entry for this type of vehicle. In this particular sub forum of Expedition Portal, $50k (about the cheapest I can find a Cayenne) is real money! Many of us have serious reservations about someone wanting to take a luxury vehicle out on the trails that we frequent. As I mentioned, the pin stripping I’ve received this year from forest roads and desert brush would probably amount to a whole new paint job on a Cayenne, and I can imagine that’s not cheap. Now if you have the money to pick up a vehicle for $50,000 and treat it like many of us do a $2,000 one, more power to you! I wish I had that kind of money just laying around, at that point I might consider a Cayenne too.

I also don’t think anyone has questioned the reliability of a Cayenne either. I’ve driven and worked on Porsches, I know the quality. But even the highest quality vehicle can have an incident. My main concern would be how to rectify that incident. No one bats an eye at a Rover because they’ve been there, done that. They have the pedigree for harsh, long distance travel. Porsche, despite their success in Dakar back in the 80’s and recently in the Trans-Siberian Rally, do not yet. And the vehicles in those events were race prepped, not off the dealer floor. Also, outside of the US, you can find Rover parts pretty regularly. Additionally on most Rovers you see out there on the trail, you can put them back together with spit and glue. I’d seriously question my ability to find Cayenne parts anywhere outside of the dealer and the level of technology in it would prohibit most trail repairs. Again, not questioning the general reliability, just what could happen when you ********** your oil pan on a rock at 50mph.

Journey: Noun: An act of traveling from one place to another. Verb: To travel somewhere.

So technically, heading up “Porcupine Corkscrew” on a Saturday is a journey, and to some, even an expedition. So while you’re questioning peoples understanding of ‘overlanding’, lets not belittle others idea of a journey, expedition or adventure. I don’t think anyone has questioned the ability of a Cayenne to be taken on an expedition, I think most question why when there are many other, arguably more logical choices. But as the OP suggests, he wants something different. A Cayenne would certainly be different; if you can afford it.

As for the Cayenne being the perfect platform for ‘overlanding’, you’re probably right. Most people I see ‘overlanding’ roll their Rovers out of the mansion garage once a year for a guided tour, pull out their titanium mess kits, leather handled “fire forks”, mahogany and brass campaign chairs, and $1,000 “expo” outfit and sit around the campfire while sipping cocktails.

The rest of us, yeah, we go camping. ;)

jluck

Adventurer
One point that I keep seeing arise is the cost. The one and only reason these rigs are even on my radar is the cost. around the pacific NW a "s" model with fairly low miles can be had for around 20k (some less) and I have found turbo models for as low as 26K. thats about what many low mile luxury suv's are priced so I feel this is a moot point.

jluck

Adventurer
Sure is a lot of hate on if someone can spend more than $20 on their overland truck. Good thing I only spent $11k on my first Unimog. Let me know how the Cayenne build turns out.Good thing nobody ever saw me overlanding our old Windstar (oh yeah, the guy on the KTM was suprised as hell). My advise is not to take anyone's advise (including mine).:coffee:

Yea its funny the bias nature of humans.Did I mention I currently drive a 20 year old Suzuki sidekick that I paid under two grand for? (no one bat's a eye) then proceed to put 14K in to motor swaps and other goodies for it.(still its all good in the eyes of the masses). BUT....spend the same on a automobile that carries a stigma and poof!! insults and fancy booze and pastry jokes ensue.but end up with a much better driving/handling factory engineered vehicle. seems like a easy choice.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
again , zero contribution. but I guess that's humor of some kind. Maybe I would get it after a bottle of MD 20/20.(no thanks). I do admire the guy in the corolla too though. thats how I started.

modern land rovers not frilly?.....:confused:
Yes there is a certain aspect of humor and it doesn't take MD to find it. Funny about LR's, I never see new ones in my mind when someone mentions them.....just imagine the nice tuff boxy models w/o frills.

When I imagine a off road Porsche I see a firebird body on a ford truck frame, just more money and heated mirrors :sombrero:

crews8r

Jluck, With your patience, attention to detail and mechanical abilities I think you should show us how it's done! I would love to watch your build!!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Yea its funny the bias nature of humans.Did I mention I currently drive a 20 year old Suzuki sidekick that I paid under two grand for? (no one bat's a eye) then proceed to put 14K in to motor swaps and other goodies for it.(still its all good in the eyes of the masses). BUT....spend the same on a automobile that carries a stigma and poof!! insults and fancy booze and pastry jokes ensue.but end up with a much better driving/handling factory engineered vehicle. seems like a easy choice.
I do not take that fancy booze comment lightly.......well! I never.....humprrrrh.:coffeedrink:

SRN

Adventurer
One point that I keep seeing arise is the cost. The one and only reason these rigs are even on my radar is the cost. around the pacific NW a "s" model with fairly low miles can be had for around 20k (some less) and I have found turbo models for as low as 26K. thats about what many low mile luxury suv's are priced so I feel this is a moot point.

If you can find a Cayenne in good running order for around $20k, I would be impressed. My cursory searches have found me none in running order for less than $56k.

So heres the deal. What you did with the Sidekick took ingenuity and skill. I'm sure many gaffed at the price tag, but the effort you put in made people respect it. Because in America, we appreciate someone who is willing to put hard work in to get a desired result. Personally, I would have taken that $16,000 dollars and bought a vehicle with much better factory engineering and drivability. But thats me.

You are wanting to buy a vehicle that carries a stigma. That means you get to deal with that stigma. I can only assume that the Porsche 'overlanding' crowd (if such a thing exists) is, well, a bunch of pompous guys who sip expensive booze, wear sweaters over their shoulders, and pick up pastries while talking on their bluetooth headsets. This is much the same as the stigma that Range Rover guys get, deserved or not. If you want to dispel that, go buy your Cayenne, build it to the hilt, take it on the trails and show us all up. But I guarantee, people will still crack jokes about the high faulting life style you must lead to afford such a fine piece of engineering. Why? Because its a Porsche Cayenne, thats why.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
well put.

I guess my only question now is; WHERE ARE THE PORSCHE CAYENNE EXPO BUILDS?
:luxhello:
Well whats going to be unique here is there are no others.....or at least very few. I'll apologize when the builds come flooding in. How much of a lift do you need to clear a box of donuts? Assuming the butler isn't too fat.
I'm sorry you aren't taking all this w/ a sense of "funny", but I am and I am having a hard time stopping........I can see the card board sign now.....need help w/ lift kit for my PORSCHE CAYENNE EXPO BUILD......anything will help...God Bless. P.S Butler had to walk last to weeks...hurry!........ "Veteran":coffeedrink:

Magoo

Wow!! A Cayenne thread on the EXPO - I guess I've been away for awhile.

I started looking into the Cayenne back in 2008 around the same time I was turned on to "overlanding". One of the first things that was mentioned here was that there was no "perfect" vehicle for what we do. It all comes down to the experience.

The Cayenne has its capabilities, highlights and faults like anything else - so it kinda come down to what you expect to get out of it.

I've heard many complain of electrical issues with Rovers, realized from the 4 Off-Road magazines I get every month that I'll never be satified and will always want something to buy something to add to a Jeep even though it only can tow 3500 lbs and I still can't take my family, the full-size truck won't fit in the garage and if I leave it outside it will be gone in the morning - it just keeps going.

I look at it this way, if it makes me happy to get out on a trail and have a great time then its the right vehicle.

Cayennes are pretty advanced machines, and as time goes by and the 120K vehicle that was kept pristine in the hands of the person who could afford it will be passed down to the next generation that could afford it and enjoy it.

Couple of notes:

1. The air suspension can be manipulated to stay in the raised position by links and modules. Over 10" of ground clearance.

2. The Transsyberia pics you see show a removable winch which is connected to the body of the truck by way of a special bracket that hooks onto the tow rings. When not in use, keep it in the trunk.

3. A spare tire holder can be fitted by mounting below the left turn signal - holes are already there in every vehicle. Parts from Porsche are available, and the data to do the work yourself is in another forum just like this one.

4. Up until 2011 - yes, when they dropped the transfer case, the roof rails were in every truck as well. You can buy clips and fab some brackets that run the lengths of the roof to support a real roof rack.

5. Up to a certain point, dual batteries were standard. After around 2006, they deleted them, maybe because they realized they needed a spare tire or a subwolfer. Either way, there is room in the back to have a second battery.

Seems to me like a great platform for an overland vehicle.

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 325
  • rear cargo.jpg
    rear cargo.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Wow!! A Cayenne thread on the EXPO - I guess I've been away for awhile.

I started looking into the Cayenne back in 2008 around the same time I was turned on to "overlanding". One of the first things that was mentioned here was that there was no "perfect" vehicle for what we do. It all comes down to the experience.

The Cayenne has its capabilities, highlights and faults like anything else - so it kinda come down to what you expect to get out of it.

I've heard many complain of electrical issues with Rovers, realized from the 4 Off-Road magazines I get every month that I'll never be satified and will always want something to buy something to add to a Jeep even though it only can tow 3500 lbs and I still can't take my family, the full-size truck won't fit in the garage and if I leave it outside it will be gone in the morning - it just keeps going.

I look at it this way, if it makes me happy to get out on a trail and have a great time then its the right vehicle.

Cayennes are pretty advanced machines, and as time goes by and the 120K vehicle that was kept pristine in the hands of the person who could afford it will be passed down to the next generation that could afford it and enjoy it.

Couple of notes:

1. The air suspension can be manipulated to stay in the raised position by links and modules. Over 10" of ground clearance.

2. The Transsyberia pics you see show a removable winch which is connected to the body of the truck by way of a special bracket that hooks onto the tow rings. When not in use, keep it in the trunk.

3. A spare tire holder can be fitted by mounting below the left turn signal - holes are already there in every vehicle. Parts from Porsche are available, and the data to do the work yourself is in another forum just like this one.

4. Up until 2011 - yes, when they dropped the tranfer case, the roof rails were in every truck as well. You can buy clips and fab some brackets that run the lengths of the roof to support a real roof rack.

5. Up to a certain point, dual batteries were standard. After around 2006, they deleted them, maybe because they realized they needed a spare tire or a subwolfer. Either way, there is room in the back to have a second battery.

Seems to me like a great platform for an overland vehicle.
I understand that
until 2006 there was a pastry warmer in the glovebox but it was deleted so you could put gloves in there....:sombrero: OMG I can't stop.....thank God I'm not drinking then it would be hopeless.....snort sniff cough hack, tears......:coffeedrink

OKAY....for those of you who find this insulting I'm going to make a real effort to stop.....really. :)I've just got to catch my breath.....goodnite.....snort.

Magoo

not sure about the pastry warmer, but you can divert cool air to said glove box to keep your drink cool..

jluck

Adventurer
If you can find a Cayenne in good running order for around $20k, I would be impressed. My cursory searches have found me none in running order for less than $56k.

So heres the deal. What you did with the Sidekick took ingenuity and skill. I'm sure many gaffed at the price tag, but the effort you put in made people respect it. Because in America, we appreciate someone who is willing to put hard work in to get a desired result. Personally, I would have taken that $16,000 dollars and bought a vehicle with much better factory engineering and drivability. But thats me.

You are wanting to buy a vehicle that carries a stigma. That means you get to deal with that stigma. I can only assume that the Porsche 'overlanding' crowd (if such a thing exists) is, well, a bunch of pompous guys who sip expensive booze, wear sweaters over their shoulders, and pick up pastries while talking on their bluetooth headsets. This is much the same as the stigma that Range Rover guys get, deserved or not. If you want to dispel that, go buy your Cayenne, build it to the hilt, take it on the trails and show us all up. But I guarantee, people will still crack jokes about the high faulting life style you must lead to afford such a fine piece of engineering. Why? Because its a Porsche Cayenne, thats why.

heres a few.....(I havent actually looked at these in person though)
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/2681405354.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/2700226387.html
and a turbo
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/2692653823.html

and this was a thread to get people talking about cayennes and its working great. thanks.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Hey Magoo...

where's the site with the spare tire carrier fab info?

We were going to fab a new rear bumper with a dual tire carrier on it - but if porsche already has one it would save me from hacking up a very pretty rear bumper!

Thanks,
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior