where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

Magoo

I've been looking into the Cayenne for a few years now, so I have enough info to keep this thread going for awhile if there are those that are interested. Data has been collected, but it isn't all put together yet. Maybe we can work together to figure it out.

For the tire carrier - 1st thing to understand is that you can only take the Porsche parts so far because the factory tire holder wraps around and will be too small for bigger tires.

The mounting holes can be seen in the pic of someone installing an aftermarket hitch. The hitch is mounted where the stock bumper reinforcement was mounted. If they didn't remove the reinforcement, you would have a threaded hole on each side that you insert stock toe hooks into, and this it how Porsche mounted their removable winch for the Trans Rally. Look back in the thread to see the winch on a bar.

The 4 holes just to the left of the hitch is where the bottom left side of the carrier mounts - a little plastic will need to be cut. There's lots of data/links either in my CPU or other forums. I also have a whole binder of Porsche part #s and diagrams, so it will be something I'll have to chip away at to get it here.

Attachments

• Curt hitch 2.jpg
    Curt hitch 2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 1c8e28ac40_640.jpg
    1c8e28ac40_640.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 300
  • gy3GP_640480.jpg
    gy3GP_640480.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 307

Magoo

I have 2 PDF docs for you all that contain all part#s for the Cayenne - can't get them anymore. They are for the first generation only MY03-10. I don't know how to shrink them to upload here - one is over 7MBs. If someone knows how I can email them the docs and then they can upload or make a link.

Magoo

Second battery as option from factory in rear cargo area.

2 tons airborne

Attachments

• 2nd battery.jpg
    2nd battery.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 274
  • image-fotoshowImage-dee7e7c8-300743.jpg
    image-fotoshowImage-dee7e7c8-300743.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 299

Magoo

Hey Magoo...

where's the site with the spare tire carrier fab info?

We were going to fab a new rear bumper with a dual tire carrier on it - but if porsche already has one it would save me from hacking up a very pretty rear bumper!

Thanks,
Mark

The doc is at RennTech.org, but you have to join (free) but contribute (min. $25) to view Porsche Technical Service Bulletins. I did contribute and have access to it, but they won't let you copy it.

If you took the time to re-write it you would have it, otherwise you have to download everytime you want to look at it.

I have a rear bumper reinforcement from a MY05 and could measure all eight mounting locations if that would help you. Go back a couple of posts to see the pic of the aftermarket hitch. I believe there a two part #s for this for the 1st gen, so I'm not sure if this is the same as yours - I'd have to check the parts PDF.

My thought was to use this layout and fab a bumper from here rather than use the complicated factory carrier. Plan was to have the new carrier mount to body, come straight out through the plastic bumper cover, and then extend left and right to get the pivot and locking points past the path of the rear door. At that point, a carrier can be built from scratch or maybe a current aftermarket tire carrier can be adapted to fit.

Other forums that are very useful besides RennTech:

Rennlist, 6speedonline, cayenneforums.

Parts - some have great links to diagrams and part #s:

Paragon-products, Autoalanta, Automotion, Autohauseusaaccessories.

Anyone know why the extra lines in my messages get deleted when I "submit reply"?

jluck

Adventurer
An old Land Rover beat it off road...imagine my surprise!!!!:Wow1:

Yea, l knew this was coming
With a hail storm and 30 mph cross wind I know witch one I'd be in. Porsche has never claimed to be a 40 year old land rover either.

Last edited:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Yea, l knew this was coming
With a hail storm and 30 mph cross wind I know witch one I'd be in. Porsche has never claimed to be a 40 year old land rover either.
I know which one your insurance agent would prefer you in. specially w/ the hail!:coffeedrink:

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
In the driveway...

Here's the one that I've got my eye on...

http://www.suncoastporschesarasota.com/Used/2004_PORSCHE_Cayenne_Turbo__One_Owner_Low_miles/Sarasota_FL/LISTING-16087001/VehicleDetails.aspx

I have to wait until mid December before my trust fund (ok, my wife) allocates the funds.

The plan is for a custom rear bumper with a hinged "swing down" dual spare tire carrier. Plus, a 2" receiver / winch mount, and another pair of 2" receivers for a gear tray. Spare battery in the old underfloor spare tire space. Then an RTT on custom mounts on top, and various camping stuff in the boot, and we're all set.

We've got a shakedown cruise to the 'glades and the Keys scheduled for February and then it's back to Labrador next summer!!

jluck

Adventurer
Here's the one that I've got my eye on...

http://www.suncoastporschesarasota.com/Used/2004_PORSCHE_Cayenne_Turbo__One_Owner_Low_miles/Sarasota_FL/LISTING-16087001/VehicleDetails.aspx

I have to wait until mid December before my trust fund (ok, my wife) allocates the funds.

The plan is for a custom rear bumper with a hinged "swing down" dual spare tire carrier. Plus, a 2" receiver / winch mount, and another pair of 2" receivers for a gear tray. Spare battery in the old underfloor spare tire space. Then an RTT on custom mounts on top, and various camping stuff in the boot, and we're all set.

We've got a shakedown cruise to the 'glades and the Keys scheduled for February and then it's back to Labrador next summer!!

Keep in mind it don't have the off road package.(I1Y1). =no locker or electronic disconnect anti sway bar,armour etc.
Best of luck, jluck.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Yeah - I like yours better - Atlanta isn't too far away for me.

Hope it will be around in 4 weeks!

That tire carrier is UGLY! :Wow1: But I bet it works really well.

The offroad package is worth a lot - fabing up skidplates alone would cost a small fortune.

I live in hope,
Mark

jluck

Adventurer
:victory:
Yeah - I like yours better - Atlanta isn't too far away for me.

Hope it will be around in 4 weeks!

That tire carrier is UGLY! :Wow1: But I bet it works really well.

The offroad package is worth a lot - fabing up skidplates alone would cost a small fortune.

I live in hope,
Mark

put a deposit on it! thats super rare! yea the tire carrier is fugly but worth all the other goodies.
like I said if I was ready I would be driving it home right now!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior