where are the Porsche cayenne expo builds?

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
PDCC was added to the 957 in 2008. Gotta watch for the magic silver barrel selector. They also had a nearly equivalent sway bar disconnect system on the 955. Never ever seen one on the used market though. Look for the magic tippy car logo on the barrel switch.

I don't know why I made that gaff, I do remember the 957 TTS and some TT having PDCC and the rare GTS having it. Anyways. I do wonder about retofitting a locker in the rear. Curious about putting PTV+ into mine after the fact. Might be more of a headache than worth it.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
To add to this thread, I found several pictures of 958s utilizing RTT setups. I have been looking at the new GFC superlite which seems interesting and the Ikamper skycamp mini. We all know that roof load ratings are to be taken seriously. The OEM Porsche Roof rails are stated at 100kg or 220 pounds DYNAMIC load range so we should be able to multiply that by 2.5 times or 3x times for static load rating. Regardless I am looking for a RTT under 140 pounds as I do believe the less weight up there the better!

Attachments

• Popular-Roof-Top-Tent-Folding-Tent-for-Camping-Outdoor-Tent.jpg
    Popular-Roof-Top-Tent-Folding-Tent-for-Camping-Outdoor-Tent.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 56
  • He0465695de6242e4bf96294a83cdf0d4r.jpg_q90.jpg
    He0465695de6242e4bf96294a83cdf0d4r.jpg_q90.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 55

Cayenne-958-TDI

To add to this thread, I found several pictures of 958s utilizing RTT setups.
Everyone's needs and what they do are different.
We do not like RTTs as even light ones add weight, raise the CG, decrease fuel range, reduce overhead clearance on trail and in town parking garages, require tear down every time you go exploring, and the biggest issue is climbing up/down the ladder especially at night.
We have been driving trail and tent camping for over 35 years, hoping for many more.
Of the RTTs we have seen, believe the Autohome Maggiolina and Go Fast Camper are well built and thought out.

Last edited:
Good to know! I bet if you found one without the locker it might be able to be retrofitted. I am about to ask the dealer tomorrow if that is possible in mine for PTV+ I know somethings would be hard to add after the fact but I do think that could be a possible add for the GTS.

I originally asked the dealer if they can do it who said it was not possible, it would be possible for them to fit the diff, fit a wiring patch and activate the software already loaded in the cars. You can buy a diff with the locking mechanism new or second hand there are a couple of options for making it work, one of which activates the factory software.

You need to match the gear ratio and the axles can be different between models, they should just swap over (I don't know if all will swap). There is a three letter code stamped on the diff housings that can be looked up to give you this information.

It looks promising for front locking diffs coming soon and available through a mass production company.

marcantoine77

Observer
I looked for this type of caravan but it was too expensive.
dd3fce461fdeb0510c6263593cce6333.jpg
1ce59ccf725c3708a7318e937abc92c0.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-N986B en utilisant Tapatalk

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I originally asked the dealer if they can do it who said it was not possible, it would be possible for them to fit the diff, fit a wiring patch and activate the software already loaded in the cars. You can buy a diff with the locking mechanism new or second hand there are a couple of options for making it work, one of which activates the factory software.

You need to match the gear ratio and the axles can be different between models, they should just swap over (I don't know if all will swap). There is a three letter code stamped on the diff housings that can be looked up to give you this information.

It looks promising for front locking diffs coming soon and available through a mass production company.

Front locking diffs from a mass production co? Wow, surprising. There are FAR more people outfitting Sprinter vans than Cayenne's in the USA, and yet still no Sprinter locking rear diff or even an LSD. I'd love to see the bean counter math on how a front locker for Cayenne's will result in ROI. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for them, it just seems the volume for Cayenne's is so small comparatively.

Lovetheworld

Looks great! Do you have any specs on the cars?

I would be interested to know what tire sizes they are running and if they needed to delete the bumpers because of the wheels.

I see no full size spare wheels? Are they mostly in the back?

The one below seems to have lots of space behind the rear axle, thought the gas tank would be there?

Heres me and my friends Porsche / VW builds

Eurowise

Looks great! Do you have any specs on the cars?

I would be interested to know what tire sizes they are running and if they needed to delete the bumpers because of the wheels.

I see no full size spare wheels? Are they mostly in the back?

The one below seems to have lots of space behind the rear axle, thought the gas tank would be there?

Eurowise built one of them a lot of the products are online at shop.eurowise.com other ones are home built. OE blow up style spare wheel goes in back under the floor. the white one is running 34's with some frame clearance behind front wheel. The Blue one has 33's and clears and tucks tire no issues

Lovetheworld

Ok nice. Nice products for the Cayenne.
I live in Europe, I'm always a bit jealous of the whole tail hitch receiver thing. We just have the tail hitch, not the square receiver. And the receiver is very versatile, it is so easy to buy a wheel carrier for it and stuff like that. Hardly any need to fabricate a custom complete bumper.

Another question I have is about the transmission. They come by in manual sometimes, although most are automatic.
I am wondering what advantages and disadvantages are.
If I'm going to buy an old 955 for example with at least 100.000 miles or more, which one will give the least amount of issues?
And while offroading, I am wondering if it really matters. Having more control over the engine is great, but having a torque converter in there also helps, especially if I end up choosing the VR6 which is less powerfull.
Then again, you already get low gearing to help you with the torque, so might be beneficial to get more control through the manual.
I don't think it will make much of a difference really. Even in sand dunes.
The 4x4 camper we have now has a small diesel engine that produces even less torque and weighs more, and the thing goes through everything, also sand dunes. (but of course it doesn't fly up the sand dunes)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Wow Eurowise, thanks for all the drool-worthy 955/957 and Treg pics. Who knew there was such fandom in the SE?
No 958's yet--I guess no one wants to take a saw to one. ;)
Your skid plate and such; site doesn't state which generations it fits. I assume 955/957.

Ok nice. Nice products for the Cayenne.
I live in Europe, I'm always a bit jealous of the whole tail hitch receiver thing. We just have the tail hitch, not the square receiver. And the receiver is very versatile, it is so easy to buy a wheel carrier for it and stuff like that. Hardly any need to fabricate a custom complete bumper.

Another question I have is about the transmission. They come by in manual sometimes, although most are automatic.
I am wondering what advantages and disadvantages are.
If I'm going to buy an old 955 for example with at least 100.000 miles or more, which one will give the least amount of issues?
And while offroading, I am wondering if it really matters. Having more control over the engine is great, but having a torque converter in there also helps, especially if I end up choosing the VR6 which is less powerfull.
Then again, you already get low gearing to help you with the torque, so might be beneficial to get more control through the manual.
I don't think it will make much of a difference really. Even in sand dunes.
The 4x4 camper we have now has a small diesel engine that produces even less torque and weighs more, and the thing goes through everything, also sand dunes. (but of course it doesn't fly up the sand dunes)

One disadvantage to buying a manual is if the previous owner rode the clutch and it's at the end of its life. Could an auto be abused too? Yes, but much less likely.
I see advantages to diesel and manual, but VR6 gas and manual? Unique (few here in the USA) but I'm not sure if the gearing is where you'd want it...all depends on the level of offroad you're taking it. Personally I love my 958 CTT with auto and Sport steering wheel(paddle shifters). Point and go, focus on the trail more than my footwork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears