tinker trek

Observer
I moved it to the rear.

2642_1087816604767_1507017403_1746734_2498143_n.jpg

2642_1087816644768_1507017403_1746735_1337776_n.jpg

2642_1087816764771_1507017403_1746737_3493010_n.jpg

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
If you happen to go in a parking garage with it mounted on the rear door, don't assume just because the garage minimum clearance exceeds the top of the jack, that it won't get bent entering or leaving the garage, or on one of the ramps.
Don't ask how I know. ;)

tinker trek

Observer
If you happen to go in a parking garage with it mounted on the rear door, don't assume just because the garage minimum clearance exceeds the top of the jack, that it won't get bent entering or leaving the garage, or on one of the ramps.
Don't ask how I know. ;)

Yes...It will not go in & out of my own garage lol.
I don't plan to have this mounted all the time so daily driving won't be a problem. Just need to be careful with it mounted out on trips.

muskyman: sorry I was being a MMMMM yesterday I think what is said in person
and what is written can come off in two different ways.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Yes...It will not go in & out of my own garage lol.
I don't plan to have this mounted all the time so daily driving won't be a problem. Just need to be careful with it mounted out on trips.
Not that you'd have it mounted daily, but you may have need to use a parking garage coming from or going to off-roading.

no problem at all, I am a bit harsh at times for sure.
Musky, say it isn't so! ;)

tinker trek

Observer
the main thing mine gets used for is a breaker bar. That handle slides over any wrench!:ylsmoke:

That's a handy thing to remember.

"Now before those wing-nuts walk away from vibration, drill a small hole in each wing. Then stretch a spring between the two nearest holes."

I'm going to drill a hole through the bolts & put a little keeper in them.

michaelgroves

Explorer
If it's not hanging low, the front bumper can be an ok choice for keeping your jack, and depending on your particular circumstances, may be the least dreadful option. I kept mine there, and although I occasionally wished it wasn't there, I never wished it was somewhere else! Wrapping the working parts is a good idea, wherever you keep it. I like your latest position for it - apart from the leveraged weight issue, it's pretty much ideal.

I'll post a pic of mine later - there seems to be a problem with the ExPo database right now.

Incidentally, ntsqd's suggestion of drilling the wingnuts is a good one - better than drilling the bolts. If you drill the bolts, it still won't keep the wingnuts tight, even if they can't fall off! (Plus the wings will be less troublesome to drill).

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Incidentally, ntsqd's suggestion of drilling the wingnuts is a good one - better than drilling the bolts. If you drill the bolts, it still won't keep the wingnuts tight, even if they can't fall off! (Plus the wings will be less troublesome to drill).
When I made my rear door mount I put nuts on behind the jack so that when I tightened down the wing nuts, which had lock washers under them, they didn't come loose.
Additionally, I had a hitch pin welded to the bracket that extended through one of the holes in the jack and put a padlock on it. This was done as a theft deterrent, but also served the dual purpose of preventing the jack from falling off even if the wing nuts did came loose.
However, on the setup illustrated, drilling is definitely warranted.

TeriAnn

Explorer
I have three of them sitting in the shop. In 25+ years of wheeling I've used one 3 or four times.

So what do you and Michael use when you find yourselves in too deep a rut or sink down a little too far in the mud or sand and need to self recover?

Depending upon the situation I either jack up the entire end of the Land Rover and tip it over to the side or jack up each corner and fill the rut/hole in. Maybe you guys are just too good of drivers to occasionally find yourselves stuck in places where you need a lift. But I occasionally get stuck. Maybe its because I still drive with tiny LT255/85R16 tyres. Anything taller and it becomes a pain to get into the LR wearing a skirt. So I've self limited my vehicle to that tyre diameter. Maybe its because I'm just not that good of a driver. But I do get stuck on occasion and I've found recovery using my Hi-Lift is easier on my Land Rover's hangy down parts than just yanking my LR out.

I carry a large square of thick plywood on my roof rack to use a a jacking platform in mushy or sandy ground. I don't think the base that Hi-Lift offers is big enough.

I also use my Hi-Lift for changing my rear tyres since I made a modification to my rear frame corners. My Hi-Lift is easier to get to than the 2 bottle jacks I keep in a box on the roof rack.

The civilian Series frame does not go out to the corner of the body and I was worried about landing on a rock with the unprotected rear corner of the body. So I came up with the following modification:

rear_corner_mod.jpeg

To that I added a short section of 'U' channel pointing down as a Hi-Lift Jack point.

jackpoint_right.jpg

It makes for a very stable rear side jack point and protects the Land Rover's rear corners.

twgr.jpeg

This is the only picture I have showing the Hi-Lift at my custom rear jack point.
I was doing show & tell at a Portland All British Field Meet.

tinker trek: Nice rear jack mount. You can use the Hi-Lift jack cover with that simply by punching holes where the mounting bolts go. That's what I did with mine.

muskyman: The reason the picture of the rear of my tuck shows the Hi-Lift without a jack cover is because Hi-Lift had not yet come out with the cover as a product. Back then I had to clean & lube the jack every time I wanted to use it. I still lube it first. She gets a little cranky at 33+ years old.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Here's the pic of my LR with a highlift jack on the front bumper. The foot is facing upwards, and I have a chassis adapter attached to it. (You can see the chassis adapter in use in the other photos).

2005-01-12%2015-02-11357.jpg

There's quite a bit of weight up front, with the jack, bush-bar, winch, vice, etc. but it's mitigated by the short front overhang of the Defender.

Teri-Ann, you're certainly not the only one to get stuck! And when you need a highlift jack, you need one...

2004-01-02%2018-06-52.JPG

2004-01-02%2018-07-18.JPG

2004-01-02%2018-35-18.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998