Who wants CTIS?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Could you please fill out this simple survey. I would like to forward this to a foreign company that may be able to produce a kit, or maybe someone will see this information and recognize the market.

Who wants a Central Tire Inflation System?

What would you pay?

What kind of vehicle do you have?

Do you already have an on board air system?

What air pressure range would you want at the tire?

What resolution would you want on the air pressure readings?

Any other thoughts and comments are welcome....

Thanks for your time.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
well that is no fun! :)

Why would CTIS be lame? It seemed to really work well on the H1s that we had at the BLM in years back. I always wanted a CTIS system that could corner adjust and have resolution in the low single digits for snow 'wheeling. Some times the difference between 'go' and 'no-go' is only .5 to 1psi. Honestly, I would love to be able to adjust tire pressure on the fly!

I think being able to air up and down rapidly would save a lot of tire! How many times have you pushed the speed a bit when aired down just so you didn't have to get out and adjust the tire pressure. Being able to keep a leaking tire inflated would also be another bonus. Also, being able to have the tire pressure stay constant with heat, cold, and elevation could be another big bonus!

chet

island Explorer
we had a guy in our club with a hummer and it kinda worked. Not well and always had leaks. He put huge solid discs on his wheels to stop it from getting ripped off.

With a non portal axled vehicle I can't see it being done for anything even close to reasonable $$$.

KG6BWS

Explorer
While I think the idea is an awesome one, and would love to be able to adjust my tire pressures on the fly, I'm gonna have to agree with Joaquin on this. I've never heard anything about CTIS other than its constantly leaking, constantly breaking, and is a royal pain in the rear to maintain. I also can think of a lot better things to spend that kind of money on. I already have onboard air, so it only takes me 15mins or so (with my crappy little $50 compressor) to air up. Down takes me about 10. I couldnt justify spending 3 or 4 k just to save myself 20 minutes. I also should mention, that in this case I would also rather keep my money in the US. Since there are already a couple of American companies working on this, I'd send my money to them rather than a foreign company.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but thats just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

HINO SG

Adventurer
Somewhat OT, anyone ever notice a lot of inter-city on-hightway passenger buses in Mexico being equipped with CTIS? maybe it was just the city I was visiting (Reynosa?) but seemed really common on the newer machines.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
It isn't that the idea that is bad, it is the that execution within the pre-existing constraints sucks. If you can come up with a design with fewer leak paths and failure modes then you'd better replace your doormat with something industrial grade.

Heimz

Observer
Semi Trailers use Cat-Eyes Inflation and Equalization systems, they are tapped into the trailers air supply. Couldnt these be a starting point for adaptation?

Tire%20close%20up.jpg

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
It seems like the technology is out there from at least a handful of companies. I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel, but I have had some ideas on the subject over the years.

ntsqd mentioned that having less failure points was a good thing. To me, it seems like the sealing element for the air that allows rotation is the most fragile part of the system. ARB has been able to get around this over the years, but there rotary air seal is in gear oil all the time, and unless installed perfectly you get leakage.

I'm conflicted about the idea. On the one hand I like simple vehicles that are very reliable...kinda of a Tom Sheppard approach. On the other hand, I see the need for a product that fills a void. I know of a lot of people that either don't air down because of the hassle, or don't air up when they should because of the hassle. Both end up loosing in the end because you either break more parts not being aired down properly and generally get stuck much more often or you don't air up soon enough and risk tire damage, blowouts, etc.

For me, when I am in a 'hardcore' expedition/exploration/4wheeling setting I have had times that I generally have to air up and down a few times a day. Once is fine, but when you cover a lot of hard technical ground, I find that I have to go from highway pressure, to trail pressure, to snow pressure, than back to trail pressure, than back to snow pressure, etc.

Some of my bigger journeys with friends tend to combine multiple 'wheeling adventures into a single day.

In the end its only time and comfort that prevent me from changing air pressure. There is a part of me that thinks it would be really nice to be able to push a button on the dash to disconnect the sway bar and push another button to air down the tires. You would be ready to go exploring without having to get out of your nice clothes :)

D

Deleted member 9101

Semi Trailers use Cat-Eyes Inflation and Equalization systems, they are tapped into the trailers air supply. Couldnt these be a starting point for adaptation?

Tire%20close%20up.jpg

I never once had a problem with those.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters

Tire%20close%20up.jpg

That is the most logical solution, running the supply line down the axis thus resulting in an ideal pivot. However it isn't easily achieved on driven axles nor would it be easily adaptable to a various range of axle options ie. Jeep, Ford, Toyota.

I've seen the CTIS systems on the Hummer's. Does anyone have pics of the others systems? Would love to see how they are dealing with the rotation on a driven axle.

corax

Explorer

Tire%20close%20up.jpg

Cat's Eye has nothing to do with controlling inflation - it's just a pressure equalizer / visual indicator for duals . . . . but that's also not a picture of a Cat's Eye

I believe that pic is Dana Spicer's Tire Pressure Control System (TPCS)
. . . . evolved from the old Eaton (now Dana Spicer) Central Tire Inflation System, developed for the military and in use on more than 35,000 of Uncle Sam's trucks and HumVees. TPCS lets a driver adjust inflation for terrain and weather, lowering pressure for low-speed operation on mud, gravel or snow, and raising it again for highway use. TPCS monitors tire pressures and, using air from the truck's air compressor. Depending on how badly a tire is damaged, it may let you maintain air in a punctured tire until you can get to a tire shop. That can save you a road call and the tire, too. TCPS works at all positions: steer, drive and trailer.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Seems like huge potential to have those pipes ripped off. I can't see how it would ever work with the type of stuff I do.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I saw a system once that has the inflation passage for the tire INSIDE the wheel....as in a small hole drilled down one of the spokes of the aluminum wheel! It was slick! I have no idea what you would use to do something like that, maybe an edm machine? I don't know what else could drill a hole that long and straight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior