Why not in USA? Australian Style Folding Camper Trailers - Front, Rear, Side folding - Hard floor, Soft Floor

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I'm interested in a variety of folding trailer campers and considering building something for myself. I'm curious about others' experiences with folding campers. I really like the quick setup/breakdown of things like the Flip-Pac or AT Habitat toppers, and I love how they flip 180 degrees so that you have a bed space AND standing space, unlike the wedge styles which give you a bed OR standing space. I'm really confused as to why the wedges seem more popular than the 180 flips.

Personally though, i'd prefer a trailer rather than a vehicle-mounted camper. So i'd love something as quick to setup as an AT Habitat, but substantially longer and wider, with more storage and trailer-based. There seem to be many Australian campers that might fit the bill, but i've found very little discussion of them here. Anybody have experience with them? There is also the Kamparoo, sold in North America which is great but tiny. I want an XL version of a kamparoo that is 6' wide 8-10' long and has at least 22" of storage depth under the bed. I suppose i might have to try to find some australian discussions, fortunately i am conversationally fluent in Australian ;-)

Here are some examples of the types of trailers i mean:

Hard Floor Rear Fold:
Example Albany Z
Australia-Off-Road-Hard-Floor-Rear-Folding.jpg

albanyztent3_1_2.jpg

Hard Floor Front Fold:
stirling-z-camper-trailer-7.jpg

BluetongueLite-26-1078x516.jpg

Soft Floor Side Folder:
$_20.JPG

These trailers can all be sourced from China, how desirable that is, i leave up to the discussion. It looks like Crux is one American company who has started to import some of these from China. I was able to look one over in person at a dealer in Denver and they aren't perfect but seem pretty good. I really like a lot about the Opus also. Do you all think we'll be seeing more and more of these in the US?

Apologies if this has already been covered. I would have thought that it has been discussed ad nauseum but I've searched and searched and been able to find very little. If it's here and i've just missed it, i'd love links!

Last edited:

suburbanjo

Adventurer
I am in the manufacturing business and develop new products for a living. I'm also a huge adventure camping enthusiast. I also have a wife and 4 children. I also am a minimalist. So... I completely agree with you and have contemplated the same. There is no other system other than this style of hybrid that I can image being more compact and lightweight and easy to set up. While trailers have disadvantages they are also great being a separate and detachable platform. Hook on and go then unhook and go.

The big question is market like you said. It seems like no one wants to put anything too valuable under the protection of a canvas. Most all of the hybrids maintain a partial or full hard top. Or is it just that they haven't caught on? Or is it climate? What is it?

If enough people were interested I'd probably manufacture a model. I want one for myself anyway.

suburbanjo

Adventurer
Yes bears. I think a lot of people prefer the safety of a hard side. What if the tub was high enough? And what would be high enough for people to feel comfortable?

DCGibbs

Observer
certainly won't keep bears out

Having seen the damage done by bears, If a bear wants in, Short of a Bank Vault - the hungry bear will get. Bears don't care about Barking Dogs, or humans pounding pots & pans to make noise. I have watched a Female bear peel a doorframe of a FJ40, to get to the Coleman Cooler that was left in it. I have photos of metal Cooler with it's locked top, peeled in half. Bear's can climb, so your aren't secured in a RTT. No matter how well you plan and prepare, if a bear wants in, it's going to find a way. As Boy Scouts at Philmont Ranch can tell you, don't put a sneakers candy bar in your tent.
Gibbs

jwiereng

I wonder if climate in North America plays a role in why we don’t see many Aussie style fabric campers.

In the temperate climes of eastern North America where me and most people live, rain is common.

A fabric based shelter is not enjoyable to stow during or shortly after a rain event. Packing when wet also requires you to unpack when you return home to dry out the fabric.

billiebob

I wonder if climate in North America plays a role in why we don’t see many Aussie style fabric campers.
Does it snow in Australia?

Cheap shot but we do camp in the summer.... like yer winter.

I find those Aussie expo trailers incredibly capable off road, incredibly well engineered and complicated.... maybe in a great way if you like over engineering but me...... I like set the brake, open the door, sleep or cook or....... I think North America is more mobile. One night in one spot is plenty. The RTT concept is far too complex to pack & go every day, tents are awful when wet, they tend to be more of a base camp concept. North America is more Cadillac, Airstream at heart.

Last edited:

TBKCO

I ended up going with the Flagstaff 176SE here in the US. Decent ground clearance and weighs in at 1800 pounds or so. Paid a little over 9k brand new with warranty. Has a stove, awning, fridge and heater for small trips. Does 95% of the back roads I need. Anything more than that and I’ll use a RTT and no trailer.

Also love that it has an integrated roof rack for extra storage or bikes and kayaks.

For a family of four the teardrop trailers were too small, and they are trendy now so super expensive. But it’s small, enough to fit in my garage when collapsed.

From a form factor it’s not too far off these Australia folding rigs when closed.

66a86a924ef5ee017c3ec3b832d687cd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billiebob

I ended up going with the Flagstaff 176SE here in the US. Decent ground clearance and weighs in at 1800 pounds or so. Paid a little over 9k brand new with warranty. Has a stove, awning, fridge and heater for small trips. Does 95% of the back roads I need. Anything more than that and I’ll use a RTT and no trailer.

Also love that it has an integrated roof rack for extra storage or bikes and kayaks.

For a family of four the teardrop trailers were too small, and they are trendy now so super expensive. But it’s small, enough to fit in my garage when collapsed.

From a form factor it’s not too far off these Australia folding rigs when closed.

66a86a924ef5ee017c3ec3b832d687cd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On the money, we've been doing these since the 1960s. Tried and proven. Back when camping was a family of 5. And everything was affordable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78