Why not in USA? Australian Style Folding Camper Trailers - Front, Rear, Side folding - Hard floor, Soft Floor

D

Deleted member 9101

Well... for me and my family it comes down to this:

We camp in central/south Florida, thus we need A/C.

It rains almost every time we camp, canvas would be at a severe disadvantage (been through that before, never again).

Canvas offers zero insulation against noise or heat.

Being that is rains while we camp, we need somewhere for the entire family to stay dry and cook, with out being cramped.

waveone

This speaks volumes to Australia vs USA gun laws.
Security in the USA demands solid walls.
Even if neither stops bullets.

Nothing like a foreigner taking advantage of an opportunity to impugn our Country, laws and something they have no concept of, or ability to understand.

That stated, irrational political commentary aside, Australia and SA both are far more unincorporated than the US with greater distances between civilized locales. So it stands to reason to have a rolling shelter to protect from the elements.
It is also seems that the US is far more domesticated and become less adventurous than our friends down under which bears negatively on those if us who wish to get away and off the beaten path

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
There are many thousands of full-timing nomads in US back country, plenty adventurous.

They don't tend to have money to spend on luxury gear though.

Aussies go holidaying in caravans much more than USians can, and have more money to spend.

USians who can afford luxe rigs don't tend to spend their 2 weeks a year camping.

Younger #van-life grammers not tied to full-time work are driving lots of demand for higher end off road gear, likely subsidized by their elders.

suburbanjo

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback so far.

"I think there's no debating that hard sides feel more secure and comfortable in many ways, but it's just not possible to have a small traveling rig and a large camp setup with hard sides"

Hi Troy,

Sounds like a challenge... What's small and what is large? I'm looking to build a compact hardside that doubles in size.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Well... for me and my family it comes down to this:

We camp in central/south Florida, thus we need A/C.

It rains almost every time we camp, canvas would be at a severe disadvantage (been through that before, never again).

Canvas offers zero insulation against noise or heat.

Being that is rains while we camp, we need somewhere for the entire family to stay dry and cook, with out being cramped.

Interesting feedback. I'm very used to camping during the summer in the northwest and it hardly ever rains, not for long anyway, and we don't need AC. Tent trailers (american style) are quite common here, but i see why they wouldn't be ideal in your region.

Suburbanjo: Ok, perhaps it's doable with a lot of origami work, but i think it's mostly impractical or at the very least would be more complicated than i'd personally like to deal with. Although i will readily admit that there is a part of me that loves to over-complicate and likes things like this (Rapido)

I see now that Crux campers looks to be importing a couple of forward folding models. I'd like to see those in person. I wonder if the economics will dictate that importing chinese built trailers like that will be the way to go, or if domestic production can be feasible? I'm guessing that they could co-exist by targeting different market segments.

I have it in my mind that this kind of folding trailer could be much faster to setup and break down than the american style pop ups, as well as being lighter and more durable. I'm not certain that those things are true though. To be fair, my experience with an american style pop-up is a bit of a poor point for comparison because my tattered old Palomino Pony has a much worse mechanism than the nicer trailers.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Interesting feedback. I'm very used to camping during the summer in the northwest and it hardly ever rains, not for long anyway, and we don't need AC. Tent trailers (american style) are quite common here, but i see why they wouldn't be ideal in your region.

Suburbanjo: Ok, perhaps it's doable with a lot of origami work, but i think it's mostly impractical or at the very least would be more complicated than i'd personally like to deal with. Although i will readily admit that there is a part of me that loves to over-complicate and likes things like this (Rapido)
View attachment 523914

I see now that Crux campers looks to be importing a couple of forward folding models. I'd like to see those in person. I wonder if the economics will dictate that importing chinese built trailers like that will be the way to go, or if domestic production can be feasible? I'm guessing that they could co-exist by targeting different market segments.
View attachment 523915

I have it in my mind that this kind of folding trailer could be much faster to setup and break down than the american style pop ups, as well as being lighter and more durable. I'm not certain that those things are true though. To be fair, my experience with an american style pop-up is a bit of a poor point for comparison because my tattered old Palomino Pony has a much worse mechanism than the nicer trailers.
That's a sturdy trailer but I do wonder about the flap factor in high winds?

bomar

Adventurer
I have a hard floor Kimberley Kamper and I love it for our family and it has gone and will go anywhere I will drive my 100 series.

I see zero issues with a hard floor. There has been alot of camper manufacturers go out of business due to cheap import trailers.

Having an ensuite and heater was great for the 10 day trip to CO.

mmrocek

Observer
Purely ego.

There is not a single performance reason to do it. Unsprung weight / Sprung weight. That ratio is what determines how smooth anything with a suspension rides. I run the factory 205/75R15 trailer tires. They follow my TJR everywhere. Some guys like to just carry 1 spare, but a 205/75R15 fits anywhere. Which means you have 2 spares.

35s on a 6' trailer let you be part of the club.

I will disagree with this. I have gotten into a few situations with my trailer where the sidewall of the tire rubbed against a side of the mountain, tree, rock, etc. so sidewall strength is the most important to me. Secondly, it's the added clearance on the trailer to help get over the said rocks - lower center of gravity. And last, being able to use the trailer tires as spares is just an added benefit when you're way out in the desert on rocky terrain, crawling on rocks that could slice your tire up. Also, just like a vehicle, running lower pressure on the trailer tires in snow and sand does help with flotation and not make the trailer "slice" through sand as you tow it. Just my 2 cents.

On another note, keeping it closer to the OP topic... Does anyone from the tent manufacturers make a trailer tent that would open up like the AUS ones? I'm thinking a tent that can be added to any offroad trailer like the standard RTT's are, but opens up much bigger dropping all the way to the ground.

billiebob

I will disagree with this. I have gotten into a few situations with my trailer where the sidewall of the tire rubbed against a side of the mountain, tree, rock, etc. so sidewall strength is the most important to me. Secondly, it's the added clearance on the trailer to help get over the said rocks - lower center of gravity. And last, being able to use the trailer tires as spares is just an added benefit when you're way out in the desert on rocky terrain, crawling on rocks that could slice your tire up. Also, just like a vehicle, running lower pressure on the trailer tires in snow and sand does help with flotation and not make the trailer "slice" through sand as you tow it. Just my 2 cents.

On another note, keeping it closer to the OP topic... Does anyone from the tent manufacturers make a trailer tent that would open up like the AUS ones? I'm thinking a tent that can be added to any offroad trailer like the standard RTT's are, but opens up much bigger dropping all the way to the ground.

I'll agree, for the few that actually need that security. But there is no doubt the trailer runs smoother on appropriate sized tires. And no doubt very few of us "need" that kind of performance. As to flotation, My TJ weighs 4400#, my trailer weighs 1200#. I get all the flotation I need with tires half the size of the Jeep. But I've never "needed" more clearance. This trailer follows my Jeep where ever I want to go. And I've never damaged a sidewall. I've also driven truck for guys who would fire you if you damaged a sidewall. All a matter of being professional vs being rednecked.

Must admit, I'm not interested in the extremes. I'd bet 80% of those running 35s on a tiny trailer are either.

mmrocek

Observer
Yeah, we "drag" the trailers through everything. And when we go to Mexico and spend 4-5 days on the beach away from any civilization, we bring all the food (usually about 6-8 people,) fuel, water, booze, etc. so we're loaded and heavy. So any extra flotation is good. Same trailer, different jeep in all photos. Sorry for the kidnap, OP.

Attachments

• 47107533_10218916892339834_7456345259178459136_n.jpg
    47107533_10218916892339834_7456345259178459136_n.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 81

slindn

I've also been looking for something in the USA that is similar to the Australian camper trailers. It looks like there is a Kimberley camper trailer for sale on the Expo forum (search for "Kimberley" and it comes up").

One other that I've been seriously thinking about is this model from Zone RV in Australia (https://www.zonerv.com.au/expedition-series/). I've spoken to them about it, and they are very close to being ready to sell it here in the USA, probably at the beginning of next year.

1564602418444.png

It has a queen bed inside and then another full size bed above it in the pop-top roof. Fairly light weight (~3400 lbs) with good off-road suspension. This is too long for rock crawling, but I bet it would go to most off-road destinations.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I am in the manufacturing business and develop new products for a living. I'm also a huge adventure camping enthusiast. I also have a wife and 4 children. I also am a minimalist. So... I completely agree with you and have contemplated the same. There is no other system other than this style of hybrid that I can image being more compact and lightweight and easy to set up. While trailers have disadvantages they are also great being a separate and detachable platform. Hook on and go then unhook and go.

The big question is market like you said. It seems like no one wants to put anything too valuable under the protection of a canvas. Most all of the hybrids maintain a partial or full hard top. Or is it just that they haven't caught on? Or is it climate? What is it?

If enough people were interested I'd probably manufacture a model. I want one for myself anyway.
Family of 4 active family we sail, bike hike etc. Last 8 yrs we have used the original Lifetime tent trailer. Its basically a 4x6 utility trailer that has two 60x75 inch beds on each side of the 4x6 box with a heavy tent over it.

Negatives are time for setup and tear down. Wind! And Grizzly NP country ie restricted areas tent campers are not allowed, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier NP etc. Monsoon weather in Moab? Yeah tent no bueno.

Year around utility trailer use!!! Its not just a RV.

I have come to the conclusion that a low roof, box trailer with the 4wheel truck camper style pop top with Intech style slide out front kitchen gives me the bunking options for two up high two down low. High bunks can be left in place with top down. Low bunk flipped up against a side wall, bikes, gear, boats get loaded and rear doors closed.

Key things to improve setup / take down. Bedding stays in place no need to stuff sleeping bags in stuff bags. Clothing duffels stay in trailer, minimal need for assembly or disassembly etc.

Road mode, low ish roof for improved highway performance, can fit through a 7-8ft garage door or sit behind a 8 ft fence etc.

Can be snuck into tent sites 12-13ft long, expanded foot print isn’t beyond 12x12.

Crux

Family of 4 active family we sail, bike hike etc. Last 8 yrs we have used the original Lifetime tent trailer. Its basically a 4x6 utility trailer that has two 60x75 inch beds on each side of the 4x6 box with a heavy tent over it.

Negatives are time for setup and tear down. Wind! And Grizzly NP country ie restricted areas tent campers are not allowed, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier NP etc. Monsoon weather in Moab? Yeah tent no bueno.

Year around utility trailer use!!! Its not just a RV.

I have come to the conclusion that a low roof, box trailer with the 4wheel truck camper style pop top with Intech style slide out front kitchen gives me the bunking options for two up high two down low. High bunks can be left in place with top down. Low bunk flipped up against a side wall, bikes, gear, boats get loaded and rear doors closed.

Key things to improve setup / take down. Bedding stays in place no need to stuff sleeping bags in stuff bags. Clothing duffels stay in trailer, minimal need for assembly or disassembly etc.

Road mode, low ish roof for improved highway performance, can fit through a 7-8ft garage door or sit behind a 8 ft fence etc.

Can be snuck into tent sites 12-13ft long, expanded foot print isn’t beyond 12x12.

Maybe this one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78