Why so many negative YouTube videos about RTTs?

All about convenience for me. Kids and wife live it 1000x more than on the floor. Only way they will camp. Hell I set it up in my front yard and the kids can play in it all day. Hard shell only though. Soft ones look like a nightmare

alia176

Explorer
Why so many negative reviews on RTTs?

Interesting question, wonder if the reviewers' expectations didn't align with reality? Covid brought newbies out of their homes and away from their keyboards into the great outdoors. Unfortunately, they were shocked to find out camping ain't as easy as the other YTubers make it appear and you really CAN'T fit your entire famdamily + the German Shepherd in a RTT. Shocking, I know!

F800

The RTT I was using was fine, but very tight for 2 adults. It’s really a pain to climb down in the middle of the night to take a p, not to mention, if for some reason you need to get out of the tent ASAP, you’re vulnerable to what might be out there. (Person? bear?)

I sold the RTT and went with a large ground tent. I still sometimes lust after RTT’s, but it just doesn’t make sense for the amount of camping I do currently. Not to mention, the RTT wouldn’t fit in my underground parking.

Happy with my current set up. it’s great for now!

2711FCC3-18BA-47D8-B218-4AF7786B4F2B.jpeg
B8F199F6-FDA3-4684-A61C-D0C1778EB108.jpeg

Lownomore

The RTT I was using was fine, but very tight for 2 adults. It’s really a pain to climb down in the middle of the night to take a p, not to mention, if for some reason you need to get out of the tent ASAP, you’re vulnerable to what might be out there. (Person? bear?)

I sold the RTT and went with a large ground tent. I still sometimes lust after RTT’s, but it just doesn’t make sense for the amount of camping I do currently. Not to mention, the RTT wouldn’t fit in my underground parking.

Happy with my current set up. it’s great for now!

Not sure what the bolded has to do with anything. I mean, if you're in a cabin and need to get to your car in a rush wouldn't the same apply?

RTTs are a funny topic. Some people the very thought offends them, some people get extremely upset about what other people spend their money on, some people are more than willing to condemn them without ever spending a night in one.

I have an Alu-Cab 3.0. It sleeps my wife and I comfortably, sets up and breaks down very quickly, and stays clean inside because we aren't tracking stuff into it like always happens with a ground tent.

We seldom stay in the same place for more than one night so the lack of portability, which with this tent is almost nonexistent anyway isn't a drawback for us.

The only time I've slept as comfortably in a ground tent as in my RTT was on a cot, and that's just another piece of equipment I would have to load.

It's one of those pieces of equipment that certainly isn't for everybody or every situation, but they also don't deserve the ridiculous criticisms about them people often make. Recent discussion someone said that if you were in the desert and there was a flash flood you would be screwed with an RTT. I could literally be moving as quickly as I could pull the ladder and throw it in the car, get in the car and get it started. With most of the wedge style tents as long as there weren't any low trees you could drive off without even closing it.

F800

Not sure what the bolded has to do with anything. I mean, if you're in a cabin and need to get to your car in a rush wouldn't the same apply?

RTTs are a funny topic. Some people the very thought offends them, some people get extremely upset about what other people spend their money on, some people are more than willing to condemn them without ever spending a night in one.

I have an Alu-Cab 3.0. It sleeps my wife and I comfortably, sets up and breaks down very quickly, and stays clean inside because we aren't tracking stuff into it like always happens with a ground tent.

We seldom stay in the same place for more than one night so the lack of portability, which with this tent is almost nonexistent anyway isn't a drawback for us.

The only time I've slept as comfortably in a ground tent as in my RTT was on a cot, and that's just another piece of equipment I would have to load.

It's one of those pieces of equipment that certainly isn't for everybody or every situation, but they also don't deserve the ridiculous criticisms about them people often make. Recent discussion someone said that if you were in the desert and there was a flash flood you would be screwed with an RTT. I could literally be moving as quickly as I could pull the ladder and throw it in the car, get in the car and get it started. With most of the wedge style tents as long as there weren't any low trees you could drive off without even closing it.

yeah great question. It was just a personal observation I had when using my RTT over a period. Ground tent, cabin etc, you have full visibility. Maybe it’s just the tent I had which was on the smaller side, but when you’re getting out you go feet first, backwards down the ladder, so you can’t see what’s out there.

chances of something bad being out there are slim, but ?‍♂️

OllieChristopher

My problem with anything that has to do with camping is weight and bulk and time needed for getting setup/torn down. It is getting out of control and ridiculous. RTT's, spare fuel, awnings, roof racks loaded down, and a whole bunch of useless junk to complicate an easy setup and teardown.

Small camp box, cooler, tent, pad, sleeping bag, enough water for the trip (5 gallons for 2 people 2 days), and basic food.

This is my setup. Very comfortable and compact. No tent needed. Setup in less than 5 minutes. Teardown and ready to roll (except camp box) by the time my coffee comes to a boil.

C41A8036-4410-4D58-94F8-9EC84A17A111.jpeg99BEF69A-1DBF-4AD5-BC63-373C24D68706.jpeg

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Thanks everyone for the good discussion. I wasn't looking for advice, but rather information. You guys really came thru with information and well considered opinion. Thank You! I'm looking for a one or two year solution, so unless I get a killer deal on a RTT I'll probably get my old tent out and find a nice cot. That will get me through.

Thanks again!
Just noticed this thread today, so it's been a couple months and if you haven't had any luck, yet keep an eye on the classified here on EP. That's where I found my squareback off road trailer (thread in my sig). Also, most of the negative comments about RTT's seem to come from the softshell folding type, but there's some negatives that can apply to all - such as the inconvenience of night time bathroom urges. But really, hardshells are the best - except if more than 2 full sized adults or teen age kids with parents are sleeping. I was blessed to own a CVT Mt. Baker for about 8 yrs or so. It served me well.

I agree the bathroom thing is kind of a pain but man the hard shell RTT are the way to go IMO.
They stay cleaner inside than ground tents, pack up easier, and are way more comfortable.

MOAK

Adventurer
I read a very negative review recently on the Toyota 4Runner. The reviewer was very disappointed in ride, creature comforts, interior design, and fuel mileage. Hmmm. Obviously the person did zero research before the purchase. The same is true of anyone purchasing anything because of the popularity of said item. Would you spend $5,000 on a stereo amplifier? Some would, because they think it’s cool or popular, not because they have a discerning musical taste and a large collection of Direct to Disc LPs. Those folks would be deeply disappointed that the McIntosh stereo amp did not improve the quality of “compressed” digital recordings. Hence, they’d give their purchase a very bad review. This holds true with the RTT craze as well.

Over the past 25 years, we have made a few major improvements. Sold the short wheelbase jeep and bought a 112” wb Landcruiser, built an expo trailer, bought a fridge freezer, and, you guessed it, mounted a canvas RTT to the top of the trailer. We love the thing and will never go back to sleeping on the ground.

Roger M.

Adventurer
A roof-top tent on an expo type trailer is a completely different experience than a roof top tent high up on a roof … a far better one IMO.
As a long time owner of a CVT Mt. Jefferson, I just think potential buyers have a somewhat skewed skewed vision of how “easy” roof-top tents up high actually are … which is to say, not that easy.

plh

Explorer
I read a very negative review recently on the Toyota 4Runner. The reviewer was very disappointed in ride, creature comforts, interior design, and fuel mileage.

I wasn't planning to buy one, but had the opportunity to drive one for a bit and came to these same conclusions. He missed that the interior is quite small as well.

1000arms

I agree the bathroom thing is kind of a pain but man the hard shell RTT are the way to go IMO. ...
For part of the "bathroom thing", you might find the following useful:

Nalgene Wide Mouth Rectangular Bottle (64-Ounce)

Plus, if needed, (or something similar):

Lady J

MOAK

Adventurer
I wasn't planning to buy one, but had the opportunity to drive one for a bit and came to these same conclusions. He missed that the interior is quite small as well.
Yes, I neglected to mention that the review was made by the person after they purchased the 4Runner.

Reactions: plh

beef tits

I think the bar for entry to sharing ones opinion on internet platforms like youtube is a tad too low.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle