Wifi connection

TeriAnn

Explorer
I will admit to not knowing enough yet to be labeled a neophyte

I've never had a cell phone. My latest phone upgrade was from rotary phone to a push button phone and I have no interest in obtaining or using a cell phone.

That said, I recently picked up a used G4 Powerbook with airport card to take along on trips and connect to the internet at wifi hot spots.

It appears as though I need some kind of service to make this happen.

What is the cheapest way I can stop by at an internet coffee shop or wherever, open up my new to me Powerbook and get an internet connection???

I have absolutely no interest in a cell phone thigamajigle. I just want the cheapest internet connection I can get on trips.

What do I need? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Robthebrit

Explorer
It depends. Lots of places have free wifi and in that case you just connect and are good to go. Other places you need a subscritpion. I think starbucks use t-mobile, so you have to subscribe to them but then you can use any t-mobile hotspot. All the phones companies and a few others provide subscription services if you want one you have to look at who covers the places you are likely to be.

I personally would never subscribe to a private wifi system as there are plenty of free places.

Edit: Here are t-mobiles rates and they are not cheap http://hotspot.t-mobile.com/services_plans.htm, you can get cell based internet connection for not much more.

Rob

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Hi Teri Ann,

That's the same computers we have. There are lots of free places to use your computer at cafes that offer free WiFi - before you head to a place, you can use Google to find "free wifi xxxxCity, state" and you should find lots of websites that index free WiFi all over the place.

At airports, just open your computer and make sure the Airport icon is turned on (upper right of the top bar on the main window). Then open your browser and it automatically will give you the options for getting online at the airport. Some are free - little podunk Tucson Airport offers free WiFi - and some have services from various providers, usually you can get 24 hours for about $8. If you travel a lot, you can get monthly access but the kicker is not all airports use the same service, so I tend to just go day to day.

For a while I was really lucky because for some reason when I got a Boingo 24-hour access once in London it messed up the account and for 6 months I had free Boingo anywhere I could get that service. But then they fixed it - dang!

One thing to be REALLY careful about in Europe and Africa, there are tons of fake services you can accidentally sign on to and give your credit card information to without knowing it's a scam - then they use your card to make purchases. Always use a known international service provider. And I always designate one credit card with really low limit only for stuff like that - so if it gets stolen, I can take care of it easily.

Have fun - it makes traveling easier!

TeriAnn

Explorer
DesertRose said:
Hi Teri Ann,

That's the same computers we have. There are lots of free places to use your computer at cafes that offer free WiFi

Am I to understand that I could just walk in, sit down open the powerbook, hit airport and *bing* it just happens?

I can handle that.

I'll need to find a local place, evidently not starbucks, and see what happens.

T-mobile doesn't have a cheapo plan for sometimes wifi internet connections. OK.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
TeriAnn said:
Am I to understand that I could just walk in, sit down open the powerbook, hit airport and *bing* it just happens?

You have to choose the network on your airport pull down menu at the top right of the computer screen. Looks like this..
airport-logo.jpg

But yes, if it's not protected under password then you're good to go.

Here at home we must have 8 wireless networks in our condo complex that we can hit. Most of them are protected.. and here in CA it's illegal to use someones connection. It's called "piggybacking". I don't know if anyone enforces it yet though.

Last edited:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
TeriAnn,

I just found that www.superpages.com has one of the best ways to find WiFi hotspots - when you go to a city location, right on the landing page is a very accurate list of hotspots. Excellent resource I'll be sure to use when planning a trip as well.

Roseann

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Also to add - when traveling if I feel the need. I park anywhere close in town - I usually open up the powerbook and see if I can find any open WIFI (not password protected) This can sometimes set you up with a fast connection to download emails and check on things. And figure out where you can go (if you haven't pre located the wifi spot)

(For instance up Bishop, CA on 395 there's a nice coffee spot with free WIFI)

I have a T mobile account as well, which I use at Starbucks for uploading larger files and working - it can get pricey but always there for you when you need it.

But more and more you can find free wifi

Welcome to the Apple family :)

7wt

Expedition Leader
This is a new world to me too. I didn't think it was possible to walik into a mall of Starbucks or something and get a connection but you can. I was at Panera yesterday to do some work and it was totally free but it was slow. The signal kept fading. Later I went to Barnes and Noble and paid $3 to get an AT&T day pass and it was blazing fast. I was able to download all the updates for my new MacBook Pro in about an hour. There were 18 of them so I sat and played on Expo and Photobucket as my computer worked away. After I move I think I will get a landline and a wireless modom for the house unless I can pick up a signal. By the way, so far the Mac is a blast but it is a little frustrating not knowing how to work 99% of it!

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
My company set us all up with a company called "Ipassconnect." It is pretty cool... you can go in anywhere that has WiFi, free or charged (tmobile etc.) and just logon and go. I have no idea the cost, but the service is awesome. I never have to worry about whether I can find access or not.

Kyle

TeriAnn

Explorer
Desertdude said:
Welcome to the Apple family :)

Thanks but I just new to wifi.

I purchased my first Macintosh back in 1984, founded a Macintosh users group at HP and was employed at Apple as a Mac evangelist between early 1990 and the beginning of 1998. Unfortunately since then I lost my access to the latest and newest macs and all the tech info that used to cross my desk.

They didn't have modern wifi back then so I'm just now catching up on the technology and using cheap older Macs.

TeriAnn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears