Wildlife Photography

WininUtah

Adventurer
Kissing Condors - Zion N.P.

A few years ago California Condors were hanging around on the Kolob Terrace area of Zion. The Condor folks have since chased them away from here because of too much interaction with people. This particular morning we watched 20+ birds come in and land, it was like being at an airport, all using the same approach. They never realized how social these birds were and I felt lucky to get these pictures. My album: http://winpics.fototime.com/Zion N.P. - Calif. Condors Kolob Reservoir

I think the one looking on is jealous:
medium800.jpg

WininUtah

Adventurer
They are all numbered and each carries a transmitter. There are Condor trackers that follow the birds on a daily basis, they can tell what bird is flying from miles away. They kept chasing them from that area and we haven't seen them there for a couple of years. There have been one or two hanging out on the Angel's Landing trail, pretty fun to walk right by them.

Angel's Landing:
medium800.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
"Our" wildlife is getting very tolerant of us, at night I can sit amongst up to 9 wallabies (within touching distance) and even hand feed and tickle a couple of the possums behind their ears. But I've never seen a possum during the day, until today that is.

How cute is this, and get the ants on his ear.

possum.jpg

possum1.jpg

photo_i

Explorer
Super cute. :) When we were RVing in Tasmania mama-possum with piggy-back baby tried to ransack our van - she came up to the door, said something to the baby and he jumped inside, using her as a trampoline. Good thing I was sitting right next to that invasion and gave this baby's butt a bit of propelling in the opposite direction. Very soft butt, I gotta add. :)

Possum2.jpg

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
Yeah they don't come much cuter than possums, until they open their mouth, what a horrible noise they make.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
A few from the Galapagos Islands

We had a chance to do a side trip to the Galapagos while we overland through South america. What a place for photography! Not a huge range of critters, but the way they are so calm and relaxed and the young ones actually come up to you.

MERV9877.jpg
Land Iguana - these guys had the better colors.

MERV9608.jpg
Red Footed boobie, not to be confused with is blue footed cousin

MERV9599.jpg
Baby nasca boobie makes close up photography difficult by trying to eat my camera strap!

MERV9291.jpg
Another Land Iguana

MERV8828.jpg
The baby sea lions are really inquisitive!

IMG_8424.jpg
Sally lightfoot crab, named after a certain lady with colorful underclothing! God bless them Sailors! :)

More photos and the story of how to get there easily over on our blog, www.moglander.com

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi,
It's pretty regimented. You CAN just take a flight and wing it from there. It's was to pick up accommodation on each of the 3 islands that are easiest to visit, and then do you own thing. BUT, the better islands for photography can only be reached by boat, and can only be visited with an official Guide. As you probably saw, you do not get any "golden hour" shots, you land after breakfast (all days except 1).

But, it's an enjoyable place for a photographer, that's for sure!

One place I've always wanted to go. I've heard it's too regimented these days though and I'm a wander-round-by-myself-for-days kind of photographer, I could not stand being with a controlled group.

Anyway I'll read your blog.

Edit: Man I love that "Mountain Gorilla Portrait" photo (http://merv.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Uganda-Wildlife/G0000mbHlPl9Hs44/I0000XVxL.kEYH3I/C0000xPuDXFfhkjQ)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle