Will my Tacoma survive 1000 miles with a FWC on stock suspension?

dole

I’m considering driving about 1000 miles away to pick up a used four wheel camper for sale, and my 2006 long bed Tacoma currently sits on TeraFlex falcon tow/haul suspension, which I believe is pretty close to stock capability. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. But I can’t seem to find anyone writing about experience with this – I’m just wondering if my tacoma will make it back home with the camper on this set up? I would hate to drive so far away just to find that I can’t get it back home. Anyone have experience with this?

blacklbzbeauty

No actual experience with your setup. But a cursory glance on Teraflex's website of the Falcon kit shows it is mainly a shock upgrade, not a payload/leaf spring upgrade. That being said, your truck will most likely squat more than normal with the FWC in the bed, but if you drive accordingly you should not blow out your shocks or damage your suspension. May also give you a good idea what you would need to upgrade to handle the FWC in the future if you are planning on keeping and using the camper on this truck.

dole

I should, but unfortunately won’t have the time to order and install any parts prior to picking it up if i end up getting it

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
There are hundreds of tacomas carrying fleets and eagles, won't be a problem.
Your only issue, will be securing it to the truck for a 1000 mile road trip.

dole

There are hundreds of tacomas carrying fleets and eagles, won't be a problem.
Your only issue, will be securing it to the truck for a 1000 mile road trip.
yeah that’s something i’m trying to figure out. problem is i’ve never actually seen a FWC in person, let alone gotten to look around and see what mounting options there would be for something improvised. neither of the ones i’m looking at include mounting hardware that works for a 2nd gen tacoma

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Tie-down points are different on fwc's. They attach to the tie down points in the corners of the truck bed, mostly a pita. The seller should have his Tie-down accessories.
I have not seen this technique, some people bolt through the floor and through the frame.
I'm surprised no one in the Tacoma world has not chimed in.
You might want to consider taking several ratchet straps for starters.

dole

@Mickey Bitsko yeah there are mounts you can buy specifically made for second gen Tacoma‘s that will use the bolts that hold the bed to the frame, but I have no chance of obtaining those prior to when I would need to pick this up.

and while I’m on my soapbox, that also has me deciding between getting this very old relatively cheap shell model versus a 2017 mint condition built out fleet for twice the price which includes mounts for my truck as it’s currently sitting on one. i’m almost starting to think it’s worth the extra $12k just to bypass all the guesswork

Last edited:

NikonRon

Adventurer
You will need the mounts that are made for the Tacoma bed, don't know how you can safely get it home without them. I had a set but have recently sold them. I have bolted my Eagle to the frame and done away with the turnbuckle set up. No more worries. I do prefer the Eagle for its narrowness and lighter weight. OME HD suspension on my Tacoma and the Eagle stays on full time. Hopefully you have the long bed Tacoma.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
@Mickey Bitsko yeah there are mounts you can buy specifically made for second gen Tacoma‘s that will use the bolts that hold the bed to the frame, but I have no chance of obtaining those prior to when I would need to pick this up.

and while I’m on my soapbox, that also has me deciding between getting this very old relatively cheap shell model versus a 2017 mint condition built out fleet for twice the price which includes mounts for my truck as it’s currently sitting on one. i’m almost starting to think it’s worth the extra $12k just to bypass all the guesswork
If you can swing it I would get the newer built out one. We have a shell and love it but we don't live out of it. A water heater and proper seating has us looking at replacement campers. Or a complete gut and remodel. Just my.02.

4000lbsOfGoat

You might want to consider renting a trailer. You can secure the FWC to a trailer more easily than any "temporary" mount in the truck bed and it will mostly eliminate the weight issue. If your current suspension is not already shot, it will be after 1000 miles with the camper in the back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior