Will my Tacoma survive 1000 miles with a FWC on stock suspension?

Just finished 7600 miles with a Fleet shell on stock suspension with timbrens. DCLB Tacoma. No problems at all. Add Timbrens or Sumo springs. I do have E-rated tires though.

4000lbsOfGoat

Just finished 7600 miles with a Fleet shell on stock suspension with timbrens. DCLB Tacoma. No problems at all. Add Timbrens or Sumo springs. I do have E-rated tires though.
I have to assume that you've been riding on the bumpstops for all 7600 miles since stock Taco springs sag with anything at all in the bed...

wicked1

Yes.

But the stock differential will not survive bouncing on a rough road, with the weight of the camper. Mine blew up this weekend, going up a relatively mild ledge. My rear wheels didn't quite grip onto it, and the truck bucked a couple times.. Make a loud click sound. Seemed ok after that. But when I got to the trail head and put it back in 2wd, the drive shaft spins, but the rear wheels do not! Pinyon and ring gears are stripped. All my off-roading buddies immediately asked, "did it bounce". Apparently it's a common thing. (I don't really off-road for the sake of off-roading, so don't have a lot of experience.. Just try to get to the good camp sites which requires some rough roads at times).

I have to assume that you've been riding on the bumpstops for all 7600 miles since stock Taco springs sag with anything at all in the bed...
The Timbren replace the bumpstops and I do ride on the timbrens - similar to airbags.
The Tacoma springs are indeed flat and sag, but do return back to the normal arch after the Fleet Shell comes off.
These are the severe service duty Timbrens: TORTTNL. Money back guarantee. I am very happy with them.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Yes.

But the stock differential will not survive bouncing on a rough road, with the weight of the camper. Mine blew up this weekend, going up a relatively mild ledge. My rear wheels didn't quite grip onto it, and the truck bucked a couple times.. Make a loud click sound. Seemed ok after that. But when I got to the trail head and put it back in 2wd, the drive shaft spins, but the rear wheels do not! Pinyon and ring gears are stripped. All my off-roading buddies immediately asked, "did it bounce". Apparently it's a common thing. (I don't really off-road for the sake of off-roading, so don't have a lot of experience.. Just try to get to the good camp sites which requires some rough roads at times).

that's not because of the camper, specifically. that's axle wrap + loss of traction + immediate traction finding the weak point. It's not uncommon in toyota's.

wicked1

that's not because of the camper, specifically. that's axle wrap + loss of traction + immediate traction finding the weak point. It's not uncommon in toyota's.
Yes, that's definitely true. But being 3k lbs heavier than stock doesn't help either. I'd imagine an empty truck bed would have bounced back up, before stripping all the gears, but I don't know.
It sucked.. I've been on much trickier roads and bigger obstacles, and had no problems. But this time, it didn't make it.
(Sorry for being a little off topic.. I have to admit, I just wanted to mention that happened, but wasn't worth starting a thread for :) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan