Winnebago EKKO

Steve_382

This link says it is a "Sneak Preview", so no idea when it will be out, but it looks like it may have a bit better ground clearance and better tires. Unless one of the "overland explorer" companies comes up with something better, this might be my best option. Looks like it may be a foot longer than the Transit version also.

EKKO Sprinter​

Sneak Peek!

The all-new AWD EKKO Sprinter expands the EKKO lineup, complementing the trailblazing EKKO Transit with enhanced off-road capability, living and storage space, and a new multifunctional living area.

Last edited:

Steve_382

I see that there are 2 new Ekko copycats this year. The Jayco Granite Ridge and Entegra Condor both have the same basic layout and it looks like these all have MSRP around $200,000 and appear to be selling with the usual RV discount of about 25%.

Bigly

Wannabe
Good gawd. They even shared some of the interior photos on these two! Are they one and the same manufacturer?

driveby

Jayco bought Entegra then Thor bought Jayco. But reality is there are a bunch of Entegras built in a Jayco factory. Kinda like a Chevy/GM thing. Same truck, different stickers on the outside :D That being said, for the casual user this price point is interesting. I'm not a fan of propane heating and in this day and age, proper batteries will negate the need for a generator. But that does crank up the prices too. Competition is good for us users I'd say.

Last edited:

Steve_382

Just happened to see this post about the Sprinter Ekko. It was at a show in AZ recently.

gdaut

What is the attraction of a Sprinter based camper over an apparently otherwise identical Transit based one? I have heard that the maintenance costs on Sprinters is high, and the diesel engine in the Sprinter brings its own complications (DEF, fuel outside the US, etc.).

gregmchugh

Observer
What is the attraction of a Sprinter based camper over an apparently otherwise identical Transit based one? I have heard that the maintenance costs on Sprinters is high, and the diesel engine in the Sprinter brings its own complications (DEF, fuel outside the US, etc.).
My take on it is that their are two opposing views of the Sprinter:

One group likes it after owning a Sprinter van and probably had a good ownership experience so are not concerned with the issues of higher costs, availability of service, etc. Or they have not been Sprinter owners but prefer the engineering of the Sprinter or maybe the “status” of owning a Mercedes or the styling of the Sprinter vs the Transit or whatever. Lots of Winnebago Revel owners are looking for something a little larger and the Sprinter EKKO is probably attractive to them.

The second group prefers the Transit and seems to be either Ford owners who are happy with their Ford truck or former Sprinter owners who did not have a good experience or those who have not owned a Sprinter but have heard all the horror stories of getting service, emissions system issues, cost, etc.

I owned an earlier Sprinter camper van before the DEF era and had no problems with it at all. Managed to find service locations the few times it had issues even in Alaska and Northern BC. I used to work for Ford so maybe a little biased but I would probably go with the Transit just for the wider availability of service/parts.

driveby

Well a diesel fired water heater and furnace would negate the need for the Truma and propane all together. It looks like it has more ground clearance but camera optics/angles can sway lie.. As for Sprinter vs Transit? For me it's looks mostly. I find the Transit to be a little... well I'll be honest. that front end is dumb looking. Sprinter looks more upscale and sleeker. Now a diesel transit with a half decent lift/tire combo would be equally interesting to me.

gregmchugh

Observer
Well a diesel fired water heater and furnace would negate the need for the Truma and propane all together. It looks like it has more ground clearance but camera optics/angles can sway lie.. As for Sprinter vs Transit? For me it's looks mostly. I find the Transit to be a little... well I'll be honest. that front end is dumb looking. Sprinter looks more upscale and sleeker. Now a diesel transit with a half decent lift/tire combo would be equally interesting to me.
No diesel Transits anymore

gdaut

Some good points. I have a Nimbl camper on a diesel truck with a diesel webasto air and water heater and stove top. The "one fuel" nature of this is nice; but I think you can get a gasoline air/water heater and modern campers use LiFo batteries and induction cooktops, so I think you could still have a one fuel option. This is all academic for me, as I have a camper, but if I was in the market, a gas Transit platform would be more appealing than a diesel Mercedes, for maintenance and service reasons. Of course, I do not live within a 4 hour drive of a Mercedes dealership.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I just talked to someone returning from Baja with a new sprinter. He had the check engine light on a daily basis. Could delete them till it went into limb mode without any service centre for 100's km. That alone is a big no no for me. Rather drive a transit without all the emmision crap.

LionZoo

Observer
The unreliability of modern diesels with their Rube Goldberg emissions devices is why I would only go for a gas vehicle if I'm getting a modern vehicle. It's why I got a Quigley Transit instead of a Sprinter.

The Sprinter variant definitely has its drawbacks. On the plus side the extra foot of length provides a couple benefits including 80” beds (at 6-3 that’s tough to pass up) and 4” extra “garage” space. Doesn’t seem like much but makes a lot of extra storage. The “dinnette“ area can also be configured with opposing mini-couches that fold into a third bed, a plus for many.

Steve_382

OK, we actually got to drive one of the Sprinter Ekko units last week. It was at a La Mesa dealer in Stuart FL. Not sure whether it is really a production unit, or one of the prototypes, but the dealer offered to sell it to us for $178,000. Had about 1,500 miles on the ODO. Overall, it looks a bit more off-road worthy than the Transit models. The longer beds are nice for a 6'+ person and the layout of the dinette area is quite a bit better. It drove fine on our short drive. We only got up to about 70, but it seemed stable and quiet. Not a race car, but adequate power and the brakes felt good also. At half the price of anything like the Terranova, or the Rossmonster Baja and really less than most of the Sprinter Vans from Storyteller, etc. it may be an option if you don't need real offroad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior