Winterizing a '91 Suburban

Zimnij Volk

Observer
Well guys, it's been a while. I ended up leaving for Florida before expected without my Suburban and now, a long story bypassed, I'm in Wisconsin. (Pity me, I had to drive a cramped little Kia Sportage from Florida to here. :REOutShootinghunter) I'm going to go and pick it up soon, but I've seen what happens to vehicles here during winter. What can I do to help stop it from rusting up everywhere?

Thanks guys.

~Volk

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Your ?

Eastwood has a salt neutralizer it mixes w/water and can be brushed on or sprayed on, then there are many sealing products that would help. Do this before going north before winter.

Rust can be converted w/ospro.

Other products like graphite based paints/coatings work well too.

For cooling system try waterless coolants like Evans.

Batteries can be wrapped and even heated too, engine block heater would do a world of good.

Erik N

Adventurer
Some advice (from a pest exterminator) was to mix rat poison w/ peanut butter, and stuff it into PVC pipe. That way the rodents "eat their fill" and not your wires.

I left my '88 V20 under a tree last August, with just a tarp over it and a sprinkling of rat poison around it. I am hoping it will be good to go when I return in a week to pull it from the depths of storage and take it on it's annual 500 mile backcountry fishing trip.

Assuming my 'Burb is still intact, I will do the PVC thing next time... I'll try to post some pics when I uncover it..

Last edited:

Zimnij Volk

Observer
Thanks for all the information, guys. I want to keep my truck as long as I can, so having it rust out on me while I'm over here for a few years would be terrible.

Erik N, would rat poison be necessary if the Suburban is my DD? Also, can't wait to see your burb!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears