XJ and offroad teardrop

jonb8

Adventurer
I've done some math and research, there's alot of views on how much the axle will cycle on the shackle before it lifts the trailer since there's only 3 points of contact. My problem is I'm running a 35in tire and I'm already tall..... I'm close enough to give it a whirl before I redesign everything. I built it to match the xj not to rock crawl, the roughest road the teardrop will see is some gravel roads...

Heavyopp

Observer
Yes Bobby I'm floating the skin and yea it's close to the frame (3 inches with weight on it) Hoping it'll lift before it compresses that much. if it hits any I'll put the trailing arm axle in it, if I flip the axle it would too top heavy and tall.

Floating the skin? -- please explain

Also how did you handle the roof to side corner -- maybe some close up pics of the joint?

jonb8

Adventurer
The trim and doors hold the skin on, that way it can float. When the aluminum gets in the sun and gets hot it grows alot so this keeps it from "Oil Canning" and getting wrinkles in it. I'll see if I can get a pick.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I've done some math and research, there's alot of views on how much the axle will cycle on the shackle before it lifts the trailer since there's only 3 points of contact. My problem is I'm running a 35in tire and I'm already tall..... I'm close enough to give it a whirl before I redesign everything. I built it to match the xj not to rock crawl, the roughest road the teardrop will see is some gravel roads...

I think that having the trailer the same height as your XJ is important too. I am hoping when I am done the roof lines match.

Heavyopp

Observer
The trim and doors hold the skin on, that way it can float. When the aluminum gets in the sun and gets hot it grows alot so this keeps it from "Oil Canning" and getting wrinkles in it. I'll see if I can get a pick.

I understand -- there is no physical bond between the wood and the aluminum

do you leave some sort of gap at the trim to give the skin room to move?

also no caulk between trim and skin?

jonb8

Adventurer
Now this is my first teardrop so I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, the way I understand it is you butt the corners tight (cause the trim is only 1/2 inch) and as it grows it bow's out along the sides with very little oil canning. If you use contact cement to glue the sides on then it ripples bad when it's hot... I don't think either way is wrong just cosmetic. I used silicone around the boarder of all the aluminum for insurance..Hope this helps.

JandDGreens

Adventurer
I am glad you explained what you meant on how you floated the skid and the principles behind your theory. I am anxious to see how is works for you in the long run. I have been kicking around the Idea of building a large tear drop out of a trailer I acquired and how to skin it is one of the concerns I have.

jonb8

Adventurer
Everything is done but fenders, my son even slept in it last night.. The mattress is to tall but comfy...

16473292_1409777339064947_3831095108210768220_n.jpg

16299475_10206293724502145_6236106019817366488_n.jpg

16425879_1409995362376478_1110421041918856763_n.jpg

darjo242

That is pretty damn sweet build. Can't wait to hear how it performs out on the trails.

Wish I had the know-how to build something like that.

jonb8

Adventurer
I had no idea how to build one a year ago when I started researching teardrops. Believe me all the info is on here somewhere, and alot of people that's helped me out alot... You just gotta want one "Bad enough"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan