XP Camper

allochris

Adventurer
That would be a challenge.
Since the shell is made out of foam core, there is no way you can srew or install any thing into it.
In the prototype i had to install quite a few plates to mount stuff on.
The next one will have all mounting points molded in since i know now where they go.

That's a bummer!!! :ylsmoke:

The truck doesn't look level. A bit of lift and leveling will help. But it is more truck camper and less expedition than what most people here are doing.

Ya, but how many people on this board actually spend $60000 on a camper "and" wheel a fully loaded camper in "extreme" condition???

MojaveGSA

In the prototype i had to install quite a few plates to mount stuff on. The next one will have all mounting points molded in since i know now where they go.

Then maybe consider selling those? Just a thought.

I think what your have designed/built is great. I love all of the features...but they all add cost. IMO priced at 50-60K is worth it (every penny), but it assumes you have the money to pay twice that of other lesser models. Not many people do, so they have to compromise. Kinda like the Earth Roamers, who doesn't love everything about them--except the sticker price. Again I am not saying they are not worth it, because they are. They are just not feasible for many folks.

What you have done on the other hand is allow for the person who already has their own truck to build on it. Get to that level in stages...

Again just a thought. I love the idea though.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
shell model

I have to say that I agree with MojaveGSA. The XP would appeal to a much larger potential customer base if a somewhat less expensive shell model was available. I know this was the original intent with the XP.

I was very glad to be able to buy a shell model 4wheel Hawk Camper and finish the interior myself. I would not have bought the finished camper version, if that was the only choice.

A good compromise would be to sell a shell with the lift system and external windows & doors installed. The purchaser could finish the interior themselves. A lot of the expensive components could be added later, like stove, fridge, batteries, heaters, solar, etc.

I will do my best to convince Marc (XPCamper) when I see him at the Overland Expo, that a shell model would make sense.

18seeds

Explorer
I will do my best to convince Marc (XPCamper) when I see him at the Overland Expo, that a shell model would make sense.

Just buy him a few beers and i'm sure he can convinced.

Just got off the phone with Marc. He got a new bumper. Somebody get me a pic of it please. I am considering the same for my truck

MojaveGSA

A good compromise would be to sell a shell with the lift system and external windows & doors installed. The purchaser could finish the interior themselves. A lot of the expensive components could be added later, like stove, fridge, batteries, heaters, solar, etc.

Egggzactly.

Again, I would buy one in a minute if I won the lottery, hell I might buy two...but the odds of that are pretty slim.

milo12

Adventurer
Does anyone know what the XP Camper weighs?

In give another vote for a shell model. Does the $60,000 price include the aluminum flatbed?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
What would you ask?

Planning an interview with Mark and the XP Camper for the Overland Expo Youtube channel. If you could ask him anything, what would it be? We'll probably tape it this afternoon or tomorrow.

haven

Expedition Leader
Just for the record,

Marc Wassmann (Marc with a "c") is the creator and builder of the XPCamper.

Mark Stephens (Mark with a "k") is an enthusiastic overland traveler, and the person who started this thread.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Just for the record,

Marc Wassmann (Marc with a "c") is the creator and builder of the XPCamper.

Mark Stephens (Mark with a "k") is an enthusiastic overland traveler, and the person who started this thread.

Thanks for the clarification Chip, however I would like to clarify even further:

Marc Wassmann (Marc with a "c") is the creator and builder of the XPCamper
screen name: XPCamper

Mark Stephens (Mark with a "k", Stephens with a "ph") is a forum member
screen name: "Articulate"

Mark Stevens (Mark with a "k", Stevens with a "v") is an enthusiastic overland traveler, and the person who started this thread
screen name: "OutbacKamper"

I would also like to add that although I am a friend and enthusiastic supporter or Marc and his XP Camper, I am not affiliated in any official way with XP Campers. However I did try to help Marc at the recent Expo Portal by handing out information and answering questions when Marc was not available. So you can assume that I am bias toward the product but any information I may provide on this or other posts is "unofficial" and subject to correction.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
No apology is necessary Chip. I can't remember how many times someone has got Mark and Marc or Stevens and Stephens mixed up. It is no big deal, but can tend to get confusing when several people are mentioned together with these similar names.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
XP Pics from Death Valley

Here are a few pics from Death Valley the day after Overland Expo.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    866.2 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 278

Forum statistics

Threads