Xterra Gen I and II questions

OneTime

Adventurer
Martinjmpr's recent post answered most of my questions. I just have a few more. If I went with the 5 spd manual and kept the mods to AT tires, what type of milage would I expect? Is 20+ possible? Also what are the big ticket PM that needs to be done? How many miles can you expect to see out of the engines? Do they start to be money pits at over 100,000 miles? Or is it like a toyota and will do 200,000+ easy?

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Martinjmpr's recent post answered most of my questions. I just have a few more. If I went with the 5 spd manual and kept the mods to AT tires, what type of milage would I expect? Is 20+ possible? Also what are the big ticket PM that needs to be done? How many miles can you expect to see out of the engines? Do they start to be money pits at over 100,000 miles? Or is it like a toyota and will do 200,000+ easy?

Unless something's changed, the GenII manual's a 6spd. Depending on where you live and how heavy your foot is, you should be able to get close to 20. I regularly get 19 in the summer. Most of my roads, though, have speed limits between 45-55mph, so I'm cruising at optimum speeds. If you live in the mountains or like to accel at WOT, that's gonna drop. On highway, I get around 17-18, IIRC. That's doing around 75mph. 2007 OR 6spd is what I drive, so YMMV (literally).

In terms of PM, I don't see much more than regular fluid changes. At 100K you absolutely must change the timing belt as it's got an interference engine, so failure to do so = big engine repairs. Aside from that, I've heard of nothing bad about the engines and their ability to keep running strong.

Side note: most everyone here and on the other boards are very good about regular maintenance. They use synthetics in all the lube and oil spots (which actually appears to increase mpg about 0.5mpg). I'd definitely recommend moving to synthetics.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
First off, if you get some ATs in the stock size your gas mileage will only slightly be affected. If you upsize to 285/75 (33 inch) your gas mileage will suffer more significantly. AZ-Ted was running the stock sized ATs for sometime before many of his current mods, so hopefully he will chime in. I have an automatic transmission 07 Frontier 4x4 and before the mods, I was getting 23mpg on the highway without much trouble and 20mpg in town. That being said, you can get 14mpg if you try haha.

Both the GenI and GenII have solid engines. I have been apart of the Nissan community for sometime now and consistently hear about engines passing the 200K mark with no problem. Of course there are not many of the GenII's out there that have made it to that mileage yet since they were first sold in '05, but there are a few. I have been very impressed with the quality of both the GenI and GenII Frontiers I have owned.

Hope this helps! :sombrero:

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Cypher - one question as I see this repeatedly on several different forums. Increased tire size = lower gas mileage. To me, this seems counter-intuitive. With each revolution of the tire, you should be going farther so once you're up to speed, I'd figure that gas mileage should increase. I know there's some extra weight involved, but aside from that I'm wondering why everyone keeps saying this.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Cypher - one question as I see this repeatedly on several different forums. Increased tire size = lower gas mileage. To me, this seems counter-intuitive. With each revolution of the tire, you should be going farther so once you're up to speed, I'd figure that gas mileage should increase. I know there's some extra weight involved, but aside from that I'm wondering why everyone keeps saying this.

In theory you are correct, if you were to take MPG measurements during a highway trip that does not include getting up to speed, and only while at constant speed, assuming your odometer is correct, or you are using another method of measurement, you will increase your MPG. In reality though, it is all about the weight and the fact that you are changing your final effective gear ratio. However not as severe, here is the idea, with larger tires it is like trying to take off from a stop light in 2nd gear rather than 1st. The final effective gear ratio is now higher and thus requires more fuel to get you moving. This is the reason a number of people regear after going to larger tires which tends to get some of the gas mileage back and lowers your final effective gear ratio. Your crawl ratio is also effected with larger tires, you are not able to crawl as slowly in 4lo and 1st gear. The severity of these effects are directly correlated to the difference in size from the larger tires to the stock sized tires. The larger the tire the more significant the effects. This also affects the measurable torque at the tires as well and you will also require more power to get up large hills. Usually off road types tires also have a greater rolling resistance that the truck must overcome to cruise down the road. All this combined is responsible for reduced MPG.

Last edited:

granitex1

Adventurer
There can also be a dramatic difference int he weight of the tires, The BFG at that I use most of the time is a feather weight compared to the Swampers that I have for the dirt. You can feel the difference behind the wheel as well as when switching them over. Once you get rolling they are not that bad, but in stop and go they are much more noticeable.

BlackX

Adventurer
I have 255/85/R16's (33's) with some armor and get about 16mpg with mixed street/hwy driving.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
From my experience, it's not the Engines in the Gen I X's you need to worry about. ALthough the SC'd V-6 get's terrible milage for the limited power it puts out, it's the chasis strength that leaves alot to be desired. The motor is fairly stout and should, like a Toyota get you to 200K with little to no troubles. Those older X's and Fronty's are noticably "noodly" and have tons of frame flex that leads to them making a hell of a racket as they age. One friend with a 1st Gen S/C'D X is SO sick of all the squeeks (and the inscessent SC Whine... It's really pretty loud if you're not used to an SC) that he's going to great lengths to get himself into a Gen II.

I'd say that if you run close to stock tires you'll see nearly identical milage to stock, but going up in size will, as always lead to more rototng mass adn unsprung weight that never helps with vehicle dynamics (it only really helps with off-road performance). That said, why not go bigger and just re-gear??? THat's what I'll be doing to get back to a close to stck final drive ratio.

Nissan did ALOT to make the new Gen Xterra's ALOT more stout (excepft for the front Diff, can't explain that one for ya...). I have a few friends who have one gen or the ohter and they all like the 2nd gen the best. Like I said the S/C'd motor in the 1st Gen is a fuel drainer and really doesn't make that much power considering you could throw a Titan V8 in there and get better milage AND more power. The VQ motor in the New Fronty's and X's however is loved by all that have them and I think makes better power with a more linear power curve compared to the old S/C'd motor. Plus as I mentioned the new trucks are just made better, and IMO LOOK alot better (but hey that's all subjective so who cares right).

I feel like Nissan Tested the waters with the original X (and realized they had a hit) then improved on it in every way possible (outside of an SFA and that alu. front diff) on the next go-round. Hopefully you Nissan folks will get another version that's still a real truck instead of what's happening to the Patrol, Pathy and now the Grand Cherokee (as in IRS uni-body garbage)

Cheers and Happy hunting

Dave

RonapRhys

Adventurer
In theory you are correct, if you were to take MPG measurements during a highway trip that does not include getting up to speed, and only while at constant speed, assuming your odometer is correct, or you are using another method of measurement, you will increase your MPG. In reality though, it is all about the weight and the fact that you are changing your final effective gear ratio. However not as severe, here is the idea, with larger tires it is like trying to take off from a stop light in 2nd gear rather than 1st. The final effective gear ratio is now higher and thus requires more fuel to get you moving. This is the reason a number of people regear after going to larger tires which tends to get some of the gas mileage back and lowers your final effective gear ratio. Your crawl ratio is also effected with larger tires, you are not able to crawl as slowly in 4lo and 1st gear. The severity of these effects are directly correlated to the difference in size from the larger tires to the stock sized tires. The larger the tire the more significant the effects. This also affects the measurable torque at the tires as well and you will also require more power to get up large hills. Usually off road types tires also have a greater rolling resistance that the truck must overcome to cruise down the road. All this combined is responsible for reduced MPG.

Good explanation. So it seems that it'll be worse in the city, but might potentially be the same on long road trips - though the increased rolling resistance might kill that off.

There can also be a dramatic difference int he weight of the tires, The BFG at that I use most of the time is a feather weight compared to the Swampers that I have for the dirt. You can feel the difference behind the wheel as well as when switching them over. Once you get rolling they are not that bad, but in stop and go they are much more noticeable.

Aren't you running your Swampers on steel wheels as well? BTW - I was out at HC this weekend. Good group of folks and I should be joining soon.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
You also have to take into account the change in aerodynamics. The truck will be slightly higher off the ground allowing more air to pass under the truck creating turbulence. Usually to fit larger tires without rubbing you need a lift which again adds to this problem. Most of the time, larger tires are also wider tires, unless you specifically get the same width, this also creates more drag and more rolling resistance. There are just so many factors that play into the MPG of a vehicle, and it all adds up in the end and affects MPG both in the town and on the highway.

Anyway, to the OP: If you are planning on getting a Nissan you can't go wrong. They are great vehicles and I love mine. As you can see in my sig, we also have a Toyota, and I love them too. A side-by-side and day-to-day comparison for me reveals no difference in quality between the two.

OneTime

Adventurer
Ok I guess I need to change my questions to the Gen I specifically. I am looking at 5 spd manual 2000 to 2004 trucks. What is the cost of a timing belt change?

Ok I guess I need to change my questions to the Gen I specifically. I am looking at 5 spd manual 2000 to 2004 trucks. What is the cost of a timing belt change?

~$600

Best bet would be to call a local place that would actually DO the job for you. Get a few quotes and shop it.

OneTime

Adventurer
So would I be correct in expecting to at least get 20mpg with a gen I 5spd manual? Should I even consider the 4 cylinder or stick with the v6?

Rev

Adventurer
I went ona run with a few 1st gens a couple weeks ago and they were complaining on the CB about how the engine struggled up the hills. I in my 2nd gen Xterra didn't even notice the hills. I love my VQ!

When you start to add 33's, heavy sliders, armour, lights, etc it all adds up to slow you down. The VQ still keeps going even with it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan