Xterra Gen I and II questions

granitex1

Adventurer
So would I be correct in expecting to at least get 20mpg with a gen I 5spd manual? Should I even consider the 4 cylinder or stick with the v6?

Stick with the v6, over the I4. What you get with the gen 1, 3.3l is dependability. As long as you keep good oil in them, and change the timing belt they last forever. That and the rear end is about as strong as you can find within reason. Offroad I have never felt like I needed more power, infact the only time I wish that I had more is on long mountain grades, but then who doesnt want it then.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
For the 1st gen 20mpg is good with the 3.3l. I see 19-20mpg mixed driving in the summer. Winter 17-19mpg with 30" snow tires on steelies. I have an automatic with 32" ATs and a rack with a ski rocket box on top. 130k miles and normal maintenance like tunes ups, shocks and brakes.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
When I had a GenI 2003 Frontier CC 4x4 auto with the 3.3, I was never able to get more than 20-21MPG on the hwy, before the mods. After the mods I was getting about 19MPG. In town was always around 15 MPG for me.

OneTime

Adventurer
Hey guys thanks for all the info! Sounds like with no mods other that good tires 20+ shouldnt be a problem at all. Again thanks for the the info!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Stick with the v6, over the I4. ...

I never realized that the 1st Gen Xterra came with a 4cyl... What motor is it and what are the specs??? A friend is building a Hardbody (just to be different) and he's looking for a motor like the 22RE or 3RZ but in a Nissan flavor. This could fit the bill potentialy.

Cheers

Dave

red_5

Adventurer
I have an 02 SuperCharged 5sp. I average around 13-14 town and 16-17 hwy. I can get close to 19 if I don't run over 60.

My rig is lifted, 32 inch tires, CalMini bumpers, rock sliders, roof rack, I also have Shrock Skid plates and haul 150lbs of spares/tools/recovery gear.

I get pretty much the advertised mileage on the window sticker if I keep my foot out of it and don't run over 65-68 mph. The SC engine actually has significantly more power than the standard 3.3. Like 40 more horsepower and quite a bit more torque vs the std. The cost is in fuel mileage if you run it hard. Drive conservatively, and it gets roughly the same mileage as the standard 3.3.

My previous vehicle to the Xterra was Frontier with the same drivetrain minus the supercharger and got basically the same average mileage as I do with the Xterra.

Lots of hills around here BTW....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior