Xterra or Pathfinder?

ExpoScout

Explorer
So Im looking at getting a new vehicle, something that will be relatively comfortable, automatic for long trips, yada yada yada.

I have loved the new frontiers since they came out with the '05 model, but recently decided that an suv would be better (since I already have a truck for hauling stuff and a scout for the more serious off-roading and). So now Im stuck trying to decide between an Xterra or Pathfinder.

Like I stated before, while I love manual transmissions, Ive come to the realization that it might be time to get an automatic...despite my reservations.

So a couple questions for those of you that have gone down this path and made a choice:

-Is there really an advantage of one over the other when comparing (for instance) a 2005 xterra and 2005 pathfinder?

-For those of you with automatic transmission late model nissan trucks/suvs, do you regret getting the automatic? And any other opinions on the transmission debate here would be great.

Im looking to find something in the next few months. Though this will be a daily driver family-type vehicle for the time being, it will inevitably end up going the way of a overland vehicle like my scout has been going. But then I have two...so theres not really a downside :bike_rider:

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Well, you plan on transforming your Nissan into an overlander in the future, the Xterra would be a better platform for that purpose. The 2005 Pathy has an all independent suspension coilover system. Not that it's bad, but you would be limited in what you can ultimately do w/ that vehicle. Heck, surprise everyone on the trail and do it in a IFS/IRS. :)

mcm4090

Explorer
First off, get the Frontier.:) I and my wife both have trucks and it does come in handy. :ylsmoke:

Ok now to your real question.
xterra
Short wheel base
sold rear axle
The off road package comes with a rear locker.

pathfinder
longer wheel base
rear independent suspension
The off road package comes with 4 wheel ABLS

ExpoScout

Explorer
Ahh, see I didnt know about the IRS on the Pathfinder....thats why I came to you guys with these questions :p

That definitely helps...looks like Ill keep an eye out for xterras and of course ill still consider the frontier (crew cab of course)....the only issue is that with the dog and gear, Id rather have it mostly inside, so the xterra would have more appeal in that respect

and since this is the nissan forum, you guys may shoot me for this, but I have been seeing some great prices on 4runners lately....so my options are open anyway

Rev

Adventurer
I test drove both and really loved the X. It is more nimble and faster and has an amazing turning radius. It is also a little better on gas and cheaper. The only reason I would get a pathfinder would be to carry 7 passengers. Although I'm a big fan of the looks of the pathy.

I test drove both and really loved the X. It is more nimble and faster and has an amazing turning radius. It is also a little better on gas and cheaper. The only reason I would get a pathfinder would be to carry 7 passengers. Although I'm a big fan of the looks of the pathy.

Same here. We bought the X.

Sometimes I wish we had the extra seating, but that one drawback is nothing compared to the pros of the X.

BlackX

Adventurer

Me too. Without having the exact measurements in front of me it felt like the middle seats of the pathy were closer to the front seats in order to make room for the rear seats. I don't need 7 seats so felt it was better to get the X. Very happy with my choice. And the locker is awesome too :)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I, personaly, would stay away from anything that combuined Uni-Body construction with IRS...yuk.

Cheers

Dave

niCastro

the 4runner is awesome. Best trail vehicle I've ever had. I had a 2nd gen though so the tranny blew and I'm sure the motor wasn't far behind. get anything except the 2nd gen. They rock. Smooth on and off the trail. Really good flex, and way more versatile than the xterra. as you can tell, I miss mine. I do really like my xterra though, better gas mileage

hattrik21

Adventurer
I, personaly, would stay away from anything that combuined Uni-Body construction with IRS...yuk.

Cheers

Dave

As far as I know, the Pathy uses the same ladder frame that the Fronty and X use. I drive an 05 X 4wd and my wife as an 06 Pathy 2wd. If your just looking for a road truck and family vehicle, I would recommend the Pathy. The ride is so much better and the extra 9 inches in the trunk area is very nice, especially if you carry strollers. With the seats up to seat 7, the trunk area is pretty useless though. I also like the Pathy for a family vehicle as alot of them have rear heat/air. If you have any questions about either truck, just let me know.

hovenator

Explorer
I also own an X. I like it much better than the Pathfinder. When I was in the market for one, I tested them both out......Xterra hands down, though they are virtually the same animal.

lexwoody

Adventurer
I like the pathy too. Its roomie and I like the independed suspension, body on frame, opition V8, and its a Nissan. Flex and looks better to me. V8 in the pathy is the way to go on the trails.

Last edited:

sami

Explorer
V8 in the pathy is the way to go on the trails.

V8? Why?

I have 99 4runner, and an 06 Xterra... I hated the X the day my wife brought it home.. I still smirk when I drive the 4runner, but man the X is growing on me fast! I'm picking up a lift this weekend for it, then tires come next.

The X has more power, and a longer fuel range than my '99 by almost 100 miles!. The X feels far more roomy, and is slightly larger than the 99; whereas the 99 is tighter feeling all around.. more nimble, not quite as fast, far better looking, has a rear locker.. did i mention the hood scoop??... And still, I like navigating the X around. It did 'OK' off road in the mud and dirt it's first time out, but i'm actually looking forward to training the X in the ways of the Utah backcountry with the mild lift, 255's, sliders, and skids.. It's a stout vehicle, noticably larger than my 99 4runner... Wish i'd have known more about them so we could've held out for an Off-Road version..

-Jason

As you can see.. I am torn. But i do like the X :)

Bergger

Explorer
My wife has an 06 Xterra OR with the 6 speed manual and I love that truck. When she lets me drive it! She traded in her 02 4Runner for it and while she misses certain things from the 4Runner she would not go back. The engine is awesome and the truck has great power. We get 21 mpg on the hwy with it and it's comfortable on long trips. The Xterra is quite roomy and the vesatility is nice. I love the quick release rear seats and the fold flat feature. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5' 9" and the two of us sleep well in it. For a stock vehicle the manual has a decent crawl ratio, 40:1 and it does well on the trails we've taken it. If you are looking for an SUV to handle the hwy and moderate trails well then I'd take the Xterra over the Pathfinder. I'd take the manual if you can find one. I know the 09's are hard to find in a manual so you may have to look for a slighlty used one.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Thanks so much for the responses guys.

The only reason I even considered the Pathy is that I found some that were less expensive than frontiers (im looking at used of course, around the $13k range)...I found a few pathys around that price near me, but no frontiers even close. Which seems wierd to me, since the pathfinders start off at a higher price point I thought...I guess it speaks alot towards how much people are liking Nissans stuff lately.

I will keep an eye out for an xterra and maybe go test drive one. But the 4runner is still in the running for me. Ive got a few months to look around and think about it.

Like I said, its not going to be a CRAZY project, just simple tasteful mods that will serve a purpose. Plus it will probably see its fair share of road trips to upstate NY (where my fiancee is from), so it needs to stay road worthy. As I said in my first post, I have a diesel scout traveler (that im still working on) that will be what I take for the really rough terrain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan