Xterra or Pathfinder?

ExpoScout

Explorer
Oh and one more thing guys:

As far as prices go, how big of a deal is mileage?

Reason I ask is because I have a choice between a few of these:

-2005 off road with 65,000mi for $11,450 (gray)
-2005 off road with 42,775mi for $12,484 (white)
-2005 off road with 77,404mi for $12,900 (black)

Now I know what youre thinking....why would I want the last option that has more miles AND is more expensive? Thats only because of the color (I know, I know, not a big deal, but its something I think about)...going into this I wanted black...but now that I think about it, thats probably a bad idea anyway (hot, gets dirty easily, shows scratches, etc)...so the black is a last resort at best.

As far as the first two, Id say its almost a toss up, but I really do like white AND Id say its worth the extra $1k for 20k mi less on the odometer...would you guys agree?

FWIW the white is what Im leaning towards...and they are all 3 autos

I havent run across a 6spd off-road yet(I think someone said they DID make them, correct?)

Rev

Adventurer
I'd go with door number 2 for sure. The white looks great on the X, especially with stealthed wheels, and the extra 20k km less is a good deal.

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
OH, I didn't see that last post about colors and prices.
I'd go with the white for two reasons, the lower mileage and white will conceal any scratches that you may get. My favorite color for a vehicle is black, my last 3 vehicles have been black, but I hated how every little scratch was amplified by contrast to the color.

My favorite color for a vehicle is black, my last 3 vehicles have been black, but I hated how every little scratch was amplified by contrast to the color.

+2!! Both my Frontier and Xterra are black. And they both show every little scratch detail that exists.

However, with a good wax job, not only are the blemishes mitigated, they're also relegated to the level of "battle scar" instead of "crappy scratch".

Kjell Sullivan

Observer
Ahh Battle scar! Yeah I feel the same way when comes to a trail rig, but for my vehicles that are daily drivers, I like to keep them nice. Shiny Black always looks the best in my humble, but always right, opinion hehe.:D

I have a 2001 Xterra that I love. But, I would get the new frontier with the 6spd (but must have cruise control) as a replacement. I'd also have a camper on it, i think.

ragpaoa

Chiming in on the Pathfinder

Hi, new to the forum and first time poster.

I just want to give my 2cents on the Pathfinder since this is an Expedition forum. I owned a 1st gen Pathfinder back in the 80s and it was a great off-roader. The 2nd gen was a uni-body, solid rear and a decent off-roader as well, but the body was not as strong. I leased a new 2005 3rd generation 4x4 Pathfinder when it first came out and then purchased an 2008 V8 4x4 when the lease ran out. The 3rd gen Pathfinder, Frontier, and Xterra all share the same body-on-frame and 4WD drivetrains.

To clear the air, The 3rd generation is a decent off-roader. First and foremost change out the stock tires! The stock tires are pure crap off-road, and just as bad on the highway. I immediately dumped the stocks for the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors and it was night and day off road. Even better on the highway.
I upgraded the suspension to the Old Man Emu shocks and springs. This again was a big jump from stock, and a reasonable priced upgrade.

I was afraid the IRS may be a limiting factor, but I was quite impressed of what it can do. The swaybars limit the motion for full articulation, but I remove the swaybar links (only takes about 5 minutes) anytime I off-road. Again, once I disconnect the sways, the tires tend to stay planted on the ground and the suspension is more fluid over the rough.
PRGProducts is fabricating heim jointed swaybar links so I don't have to disconnect the links when I 4wheel. Remember, the Range Rovers and LR3 are IFS/IRS as well as the H1 Hummer. The H1 has no sways (from what I have seen) and the Land Rovers have a neat 'disconnecting' feature with long travel in off-road mode. IRS is really not that bad if done right.

Finally, I have been in contact with ARB USA for the past year because they are using my vehicle to engineering a front winch bumper and some lockers by year end, and PRGProducts will have a new suspension soon that will give you 7.5" travel front and 10" travel in the rear, and Shrockworks has skids and sliders available.

I have been to places in the Sierras and the desert that are considered difficult rating and the Pathfinder finds it way through just as easy as my buddy's FJ Cruiser. And as a family car and weekend expeditioner, it's hard to beat the extra room and seats.

Here is a link of my 05, now an 08:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=626&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Hope this helps all that are still looking.
P.S. I also love the Xterra. It was named 4x4 Of The Year by two worthy off road magazines. My son is buying one so I can now have a buddy when we go wheeling.

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
Any update?

Well, I havent purchased anything yet...Im still weighing my options.

I think I have decided against the Pathfinder after looking at both up close.

But Ive also not ruled out a 4runner or even a montero sport.

I even found a discovery that I liked, but Im not sold on the reliability of newer Land Rovers in general.

ragpaoa

Well, I havent purchased anything yet...Im still weighing my options.

I think I have decided against the Pathfinder after looking at both up close.

What was it about the Pathfinder that you didn't like? Not trying to sell you on the Pathfinder, I'm just curious.

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
What was it about the Pathfinder that you didn't like? Not trying to sell you on the Pathfinder, I'm just curious.

Oh, dont get me wrong, I like the pathfinder. Quite a bit actually.

I just dont think it fits my needs. It seems like more of a "luxury" vehicle than what I really want. I have no kids, but I do have a dog. So I dont want leather and a super nice interior.

And thats another reason the Rovers dont do it for me...too fancy inside.

ragpaoa

Oh, dont get me wrong, I like the pathfinder. Quite a bit actually.

I just dont think it fits my needs. It seems like more of a "luxury" vehicle than what I really want. I have no kids, but I do have a dog. So I dont want leather and a super nice interior.

And thats another reason the Rovers dont do it for me...too fancy inside.

Ah, got it. Makes sense. Wife and 3 kids for me and everyone in between, so I needed the room.
You can't go wrong with either the Nissans or Toyotas. Owned them both (89 Pathfinder, 95 4Runner, 08 Pathfinder) and I had more problems with my 2000 BMW 528 than all 3 trucks combined! I could've bought a new Xterra with all the money I spent in repairs for the BMW.
Let us know what you decide.

ExpoScout

Explorer
Well, ive been looking around and reading about this all night...narrowed it more, and added a choice

so now its down to:

xterra (2005-present)
montero (need more info on years with problems or preferred years)
4runner (2001-present?)

AZ-Ted

Adventurer
I've got the XOR with Auto, and I couldn't be happier. The OR has the rear locker, and the OR Auto has the correct gearing (3.36) if you decide later on to do the Titan front diff swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior