Xterra or Pathfinder?

ExpoScout

Explorer
I've got the XOR with Auto, and I couldn't be happier. The OR has the rear locker, and the OR Auto has the correct gearing (3.36) if you decide later on to do the Titan front diff swap.

sweet, these are the things that i wanted to find out :p

one more question for you guys...why is it that there are so many people over on thenewx that dont have the OR version? they didnt know better? or theres an advantage/disadvantage over one or the other

obviously the OR has the rear locker, but anything else i should know?

08whitex

Adventurer
There are minor differences between the 2. When you start to modify your X you will be upgrading the suspension (difference),tires(difference),skids(difference), and posibly the rims(difference)

The advantages of the OR that wont get upgraded is the locker, gear ratio and fold flat passenger front seat.

Anything you can add Ted

mcm4090

Explorer
one more question for you guys...why is it that there are so many people over on thenewx that dont have the OR version? they didnt know better? or theres an advantage/disadvantage over one or the other

obviously the OR has the rear locker, but anything else i should know?

I think some of them just didn't think they would ever have a need for the locker.

The M226 rear is in all OR and is lager then the C200k witch you well find in most of the other X's.

ExpoScout

Explorer
So just to make sure we are on the same page, you are saying that it would be best to go ahead with the OR model?

I wish I could find a manual OR, but I havent had much luck

Plus I think its time to go with an auto...I have enough manual transmissions :p

Turtle

I have an '06 Xterra X model and I love it. The reason for the model I chose instead of the OR was the availability of an OR 6spd. Just a serious pain to find at the time I was looking. Also, for the money I've spent upgrading my X I paid about the same or less than a stock OR model depending on the dealer extras. As well, all the '05 on Xterra's have ABLS which help move you along when a tire slips or is lifted off the ground. Mind you not quite as nice as a locker, but better than pure open diffs. If all else fails I have a winch and I'm not afraid to use it :)

Oh, oh, and there is now an ARB locker available for the m226 diff (6spd's and OR's) that I have. So, I'd still be less expensive even after having one of those installed that an OR model :Wow1: (most OR models on the lots were grossly overspeced with extras as well)

Sorry for the lengthly explanation, but you asked why :elkgrin:

Last edited:

ExpoScout

Explorer
Turtle, thats completely understandable.

Being as how Ive found a few '05 OR models with 40k-50k miles for around 12.5k (which is around the same price for '05 non-OR models) Id think itd be stupid NOT to get the OR

sound about right?

Turtle

Yes, that would be silly in the used market to get the non-OR for about the same price as the OR. Definitely go for the OR model then. When I bought new there was at least $4-5k difference with what I was looking at (X to OR available).

Dan

ExpoScout

Explorer
Yes, that would be silly in the used market to get the non-OR for about the same price as the OR. Definitely go for the OR model then. When I bought new there was at least $4-5k difference with what I was looking at (X to OR available).

Dan

Thats what I figured, but its nice to hear it from someone thats been there and done that

Thanks Dan :beer:

mcm4090

Explorer
As well, all the '05 on Xterra's have ABLS which help move you along when a tire slips or is lifted off the ground. Mind you not quite as nice as a locker, but better than pure open diffs. If all else fails I have a winch and I'm not afraid to use it :)

I knew the NISMO came with ABLS but I didn't know the Off Road was the same way.

Turtle

Yes, ALL '05 to present Xterra's have ABLS. You can have ABLS with a locker. It will never get activated in the rear wheels with the locker on for obvious reasons (one will never slip from the other). Also, in the states there is no NISMO Xterra, just Frontier NISMO (sorry, just realized you were talking just about the Frontier for NISMO).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior