Yet another tire thread: your viewpoints welcomed!

Jason911

Adventurer
This thread certainly could be deposited into almost any forum, as it is that general - but since I drive a Jeep WK2, I'll start it here.

Time has come to replace the Goodyear Silent Armor tires with something else. I procured them used with 9550 miles on them, and drove for an additional 42,000 miles. Tires have about 4/32 left, and while still good, I will not run them beyond this fall. Honestly, if I could get another set of them I would - they exceeded my expectations beyond belief(I actually could, but requires a drive up to Sault Ste. Marie - I simply don't have time budgeted for that). I've narrowed my choices down to 3 different manufactures + 1 extra as a variable, and I would like to hear your thoughts(maybe I missed a manufacturer?). This forum is a wealth of information and knowledge and I value all of your input.

The reason(s) I chose these tires/brands were simple: size I wanted, all are triple mountain peak/snowflake rated(an absolute must, no exceptions), have a excellent reputation, and are all in the same price point +/-. The variable is a LT tire, the other 3 are non-LT rated. Listed in order of preference, size 275/65R18. All can be sourced locally as well.

Please keep the input civil and on-topic. Thanks to all for all of your valuable time!

Nokian Rotiiva
https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at/

General Grabber AT2
http://generaltire.com/tires/custom-rides/grabber-at2

Goodyear DuraTrac
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

BFGoodrich AT KO2(LT tire)
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...f-road-tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko2/tire-details

Jason911

Adventurer
I too have had personal experience with the previous generation of BFG. Much to my equal dismay the rim protector is no longer. And as a result - the reason the grabbers made my short list. Truth be told the chances of seeing actual off-pavemnt adventurers for me are limited(here in WI there is distinct lack of public lands available for exploring, save for ATVs/UTVs), and much of what I see is gravel-travel. The main detractor for me with the BFG is that it is a LT "E" range tire - for a midsize SUV hauling very minimal loads it is simply over-kill. Being that it will be a year-round tire, I'd like to maintain a complaint ride for me and my few (2) passengers. Thanks for your input.

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
I too have had personal experience with the previous generation of BFG. Much to my equal dismay the rim protector is no longer. And as a result - the reason the grabbers made my short list. Truth be told the chances of seeing actual off-pavemnt adventurers for me are limited(here in WI there is distinct lack of public lands available for exploring, save for ATVs/UTVs), and much of what I see is gravel-travel. The main detractor for me with the BFG is that it is a LT "E" range tire - for a midsize SUV hauling very minimal loads it is simply over-kill. Being that it will be a year-round tire, I'd like to maintain a complaint ride for me and my few (2) passengers. Thanks for your input.

I have the E rated KO2's on my second gen tacoma and they're great IMO. It firms up the ride but it's not at all like people made it sound, especially the guy at the tire shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bugnout

Adventurer
I'm on my second set of General Grabber AT2's. Great tires both for snow/ice and have held up well when aired down off road. I've taken them to Moab and into the Maze, I've abused them, and have had no punctures, either sidewall or tread. They have held up much better than the GY MTR's that they replaced.

235x85R16

Jason911

Adventurer
Thank you for the reply and the input. I have heard that the Generals tire compound is little firmer than competitors? is there any truth to the validity of that?

bugnout

Adventurer
Really don't know. Only thing I can compare to is the MTR's I was running which were softer and cut easier. I lost quite a few chunks of rubber on the rocks when I was running MTR's.

HKguy

Goodyear Duratracs on JKU and have 35000 on them and still have well over 75% on them, low noise, worked well in loose sand, and have had good luck in the wet stuff. BFG KM2s on TJ and they are great too just don't get near the tread life and have more noise. If they made a 35x12.50 15 in Duratracs I would have them on my TJ. Had some of the MTR's with kevlar for a while and the wore terrible and hydroplaned like crazy.

Jason911

Adventurer
"Please keep the input civil and on-topic."

I did that simply out of respect to the creators of this forum. I have poised the same request on two other jeep specific forums, as there are more than a few individuals who see fit to force their opinion on to you, without any regards to you or anyone else-it's their way or no way.

Mitch502

Explorer
I've had a vehicle with the older bfg's. They were fine, no complaints when I had them although I never really went off road.

I now have duratracs and couldn't be more happy. They're quieter on the highway than my old BFGs (exponentially quieter in my experience) and have did great in dirty/mud.

I'm a Duratrac fan. Although if price is a factor it seems the guys from expedition overland put the grabbers through hell in Alaska/Yukon and they held up excellent.

Jason911

Adventurer
Thanks to all for the input. The info garnered from here as well as Jeep garage has left me none the better or worse. Tough decision indeed. Price could ultimately play a factor if I wanted it to, but the current out the door purchase price, EXCLUDING mounting, is as follows:

Nokian Rotiiva: $625.99/set of four

Grabbers AT2: $650.98/set of four

DuraTrac's: $877.36/set of four

BFG AT KO2: $753.00/set of four

Dismount/mount/balance comes in at $66, but I don't factor that into the price.

Gldwnguy

Have a set of Duratracs with 19,950 miles on a 9500# GMC dually. Probably 65-70% left. Very quiet and good in the mud, snow and sand. Will be top of the list next time I buy tires.

Last edited:

Mitch502

Explorer
Thanks to all for the input. The info garnered from here as well as Jeep garage has left me none the better or worse. Tough decision indeed. Price could ultimately play a factor if I wanted it to, but the current out the door purchase price, EXCLUDING mounting, is as follows:

Nokian Rotiiva: $625.99/set of four

Grabbers AT2: $650.98/set of four

DuraTrac's: $877.36/set of four

BFG AT KO2: $753.00/set of four

Dismount/mount/balance comes in at $66, but I don't factor that into the price.

I was going to get AT2's. A friend is a manager at Goodyear and I told him what I was going to pay for a set of 5 AT2's, and he worked it out to where I was going to pay about $100 or so more and end up with 5 DuraTracs, lifetime roadhazard, and plus knowing him gets me some extra perks when/if I ever need the road hazard stuff!

Looking back, I'm so glad I went with DuraTracs. Looks like they're quite a bit more in you case though, so I can't blame you if you went with something else.

MuckSavage

Adventurer
I'm on my 3rd set of Grabber AT2's & can't say enough good things about them. Each set in 31" had 50k miles on them & I took them off & my nephews ran them. My XJ sees 90% on road road use & 10% sand roads/light mud.
I've had the previous Gen BFG AT & was always annoyed by their "square" shoulder. They always were caught in highway grooves.

Jason911

Adventurer
Thanks more for the follow-through POV. It actually helps mountains! I was up until yesterday going to pull the trigger on the AT2, but after some additional research it would seem that trying to stuff a same size tire into the ridiculous excuse for the spare compartment is a no go, and grabber does not make a different size 32" tire to fit. More researching to follow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears