Yeti and the Marshmallow

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I don't think so. I do know before 1993 there was a short version of them available, but the wheelbase has always been 110 or 111, just shorter body styles.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I wasn't messing with anyone. My comment was taken the wrong way.

Whoever Messed with Joaquin Suave.....needs to Apologize!

Joaquin Suave....is a Valuable Member of the Expedition Portal.

Tuck it under the rug if you wish. But it ain't gonna fly.

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Whoever Messed with Joaquin Suave.....needs to Apologize!

Joaquin Suave....is a Valuable Member of the Expedition Portal.

Tuck it under the rug if you wish. But it ain't gonna fly.

Whaaat? This is getting weird. Settle down folks. It is hard to understand "tone" on the internet, and i think humans are naturally defensive and inclined to take things the wrong way (myself included). It was stated that no offense was meant, people all have their ideas of what they want. No big deal. Lets move on and be constructive.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Tuck it under the rug Troy.... if you wish. But it ain't gonna fly.

And it didn't even happen to me!

It's all about Respect!

TroySmith80

Adventurer
It didn't even happen at all.

It's still there, look. Joaquin, who i think nobody would disagree is indeed a wonderful contributor, offered some advice.

Yeti read it all, THANKED Joaquin and then explained why those things were or were not what he needed.

Nothing to be upset about. Anyway, it has nothing to do with me, i just hate to see this sort of thing happen. It happens all the time online because people can't communicate their tone.

I really think it was a non-event. Sorry to clutter the thread with more discussion of it. That's all i'll say on that subject.

In other news, i'm surprised to learn that there was a shorter version of the astro, and not a longer one. It's already pretty darn short. I have an AWD one for my work van, and have thought several times that it would be a wonderful camper platform for me if only it were a bit bigger! It already maneuvers as tight as a car, so i can't imagine why you'd want one shorter.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

It didn't even happen at all.

It's still there, look. Joaquin, who i think nobody would disagree is indeed a wonderful contributor, offered some advice.

Yeti read it all, THANKED Joaquin and then explained why those things were or were not what he needed.

Nothing to be upset about. Anyway, it has nothing to do with me, i just hate to see this sort of thing happen. It happens all the time online because people can't communicate their tone.

I really think it was a non-event. Sorry to clutter the thread with more discussion of it. That's all i'll say on that subject.

In other news, i'm surprised to learn that there was a shorter version of the astro, and not a longer one. It's already pretty darn short. I have an AWD one for my work van, and have thought several times that it would be a wonderful camper platform for me if only it were a bit bigger! It already maneuvers as tight as a car, so i can't imagine why you'd want one shorter.

It appears that several post's have been deleted.

And it IS an Event....or Joaquin Suave would not be THIS upset!

Just what is it that you are not seeing?

Keep trying to Sweep.....

I would rather care about my fellow ExPo Member.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Thank you for the sheer lack of respect for my build project.

I will not be contributing to this thread any further until a moderator sees fit to clean up the off topic nonsense that has encompassed it.

MrBeast

Explorer
No need to come to my defence. Honestly, I think that I should refrain from sharing my opinion and advice. I felt that I could share some knowlege with Basement Yeti then got miffed when I read a statement that I took as him saying that his extensive "researching" (surfing the web) trumped my years of experience. I felt that Yeti really just wanted people to agree with his course of action rather than listen to another (more experienced) members insight and perspective. Hey his loss...And my mistake for putting the energy into writing the post.

Mr. Beast wrote:

I've owned a CNC machine shop for 28 years, and your wise-******** statement has guaranteed you not getting my insight & perspective about your future career!

Actually my statement was aimed at sugjesting that we all just need to get along.

Quite frankly I do not understand your attitude, While I agree with some of what you said to Yeti, yet it would seem to me as though you are in a pretty bad mood tonight for some reason.

I totally think he is diving in very fast, I can certanly tell he is going to make some mistakes, and hopefully when he does he will learn from them.

That is the thing about this world that is smothered with irony, you with your decades worth of overlanding experince you can talk to a young man who is just getting on his feet all day long, you can pour your heart out to him from your vast experince, and initially the young man will reject it, because that is what young men do.

In time however, he will make mistakes, he will learn from his experinces and the advice you give him now will pay off in the future, because when he makes the mistake your words will ring oh so true, and in the end you will have taught him something.

Personally I really dont like where this thread is going, its turning into a flame fest. I dont think that is right because I do admire something about Yeti, he is getting up off of his behind and trying to make something out of his life, and I can tell for him it is going to be a long difficult road, but I respect him for doing it.

Before you start looking down your nose at me I might point out a few things to you, I have been riding trails and camping out since I was 10 years old, those motorcycle trips into the moutnains with my father are some of my most precious memories when I was riding my little 1983 honda 100, and later the Yamaha TW200 and the Honda RL600.

From the time I was 15 and got my drivers licence I was out four diggin and camping out, exploring all I could. I was fortunate to be born and raised 55 miles north of Yellowstone Park, and I took every opportunity I could get to go play around in the back country.

I also have substancial welding and fabrication experince, I have been in and around a fabshop from the age of 13, and have been welding since I was 15. I started in autocad when I was just 12 years old, back when it was still MS Dos based.

In addition to that experience I also proudly served in the Navy where I became an Aviation Electronics Technican, and a Naval Aricrewman. Upon being discharged I went out and got a CDL and went trucking, and have the good fortune of having been to 47 states, 3 Canadian Provences, and a couple of places in Mexico.

I have over a million miles of driving experince behind me between Wreckers, Big Trucks, Duallys pulling 5th wheel trailers, I have opperated in about every weather condition immagineable in both work and camping enviroments.

So instead of writing me off, how about you engage me in a meaningful conversation, and who knows, we both might learn something.

MrBeast

Explorer
Thank you for the sheer lack of respect for my build project.

I will not be contributing to this thread any further until a moderator sees fit to clean up the off topic nonsense that has encompassed it.

Man, you and he are not going to see eye to eye, and yeah, it got pretty dumb in a hurry, but this is one of those lifes lessons that we all should learn, you have to learn how to put things behind you and move forward, dont rob yourself of the experince of building your van and posting it here simply because some one did not like what you had to say.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Total Respect for ExPo Members....would have kept this thread out of the Gutter.

I guess we will never again see.... the Good ExPo days of Old!

MrBeast

Explorer
Total Respect for ExPo Members....would have kept this thread out of the Gutter.

I guess we will never again see.... the Good ExPo days of Old!

While you are waxing rhapsodic about the good ole days, I am going to take a moment to personally point out that you brought yourself on over to this thread that was headed in a very productive direction, and very deliberately helped drive it into the gutter.

I am also going to take a moment to point out that what you all are refering to as respect is actually common courtesy AKA manners. Which I do think are important.

Respect on the other hand is something that is earned over time from your involvement with a person through your actions and dealings with them. It is something that can never be instantanious, it cant be bought, and it sure as hell can not be demanded.

As for the good ole days... I find myself spending a lot more time on Expo these days more than any other site BECAUSE of the people here, I have had the pleasure of interacting with some outright good deacent people.

As well the quality of information I have been able to find, and lest we forget the craftsmanship of some of the builds people have done here is nothing short of oustanding!

I will also say rolling into a guys thread, circling the wagons and getting a good fight going with out contributing anything posative to said thread is not what id call model behavior or productive. Nor will it earn you any respect because right now it has me looking at you like an instagator. :coffee:

MrBeast

Explorer
Was there ever an extended version of the astro van?

I totally missed this post, but I have seen one, my dad had one he bought from the telephone company, now I do not know if it was factory or if it was an aftermarket conversion, but it did have like 12-16" extra between the front door and the side door, and it had about 18-20" extra between the rear wheel and back end, each piece had a very notable seam.

It was a work van with only windows in the doors.

It was also a piece of junk, he only had it for about 2 years and sold it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12