Yetti's 19 ZR2 ( Zelda)

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
In Jan of 2021, I purchased a 2019 ZR2 with 20k miles on it. I had always wanted a ZR2, and my full size was coming up on 290k miles. And was showing her age. So this was to be my daily driver and adventure rig, when I did not need the full size.

They did not have many used ones, and I had a google alert set up for any used ones in 300 miles. My mum had an eye appointment and was going to need a driver. I had just gotten back form contract and had nothing but time. When I was waiting, I got an alert one just popped up. In the same city I was in.

Went to check it out, took it for a test drive. And drove it home. I had not planned on getting a truck, that day. The dealer had me write them a check… for the full amount…As the bank was closed… and said to bring the actual check from the bank the next day…So I did.

The truck was from Canada, and had a letter in the glove box from the previous owner. Apparently the trucks name was Zelda. So it stuck.

I had to leave to Reno a few days after, in the middle of winter storms. So immediately started drilling holes. Added lights. In the snow, prior to leaving. (Eventually I will do KC LED slimlites like my full size, with a matching bumper). My work means I travel in the worst weather, and usually in disaster relief, to places where I won’t have support.

Dog approved.

IMG_20211203_0851140.jpg
Zelda, and Sarah. The 2004, I bought with around 20k on it, in 2008. Right after I graduated High school, and started Fire/Medical work. She has 288k on her now.

IMG_20211203_1151286.jpgIMG_20211207_1204033.jpgIMG_20211229_0910505.jpgIMG_20211229_1556208.jpgreceived_321831372856135.jpeg

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Over the next few months while in Reno, I added an extreme outback compressor, Action Trax. Pulled the sports bar, and added the best top soft topper. The soft topper rocks.
I was going to build a mount for the compressor, that tucked it up into the rear fender. But I was going to be a pain. And I realized, wait. This truck will never carry a camper…. just mount it to the bed. So I did. Works great.

I also added actual tow hooks up front, Thanks Chevy... Instead of the tiny closed loops they had.
Keeping things simple.

FB_IMG_1692028176548.jpg

The red strap, is only to keep my groceries from sliding forward.
FB_IMG_1692028181823.jpgIMG_20220424_1324110.jpgIMG_20220513_0828296.jpgIMG_20230401_120212_051.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I installed a AEV Snorkel on Saturday. There have been times with my full size, I have had to blow the filter out daily. Usually working in the Alvord, or on fires. Medical means I end up eating a lot of dust. I also sealed the entrant into the Air box with silicone, as well as where the two parts come together in the fender. Since I was there anyway, I have worked flood response in the past. And have zero interest in doing so in the very light ZR2.

Instructions say 4 hours, I had everything apart and cut in 1.5. After thinking to myself, “wow this is going great’! I kept the tire on, and just started the truck and turned he wheel as needed. It did throw a code, for starting it with the MAF unplugged. But that was easily cleared. I also did it solo, eh. Help would have been nice.

IMG_20230812_075805_336.jpgIMG_20230812_075809_119.jpgIMG_20230812_075811_214.jpgIMG_20230812_075812_895.jpg

I taped the fender, then put on the template, then taped around that. And kept it there.

IMG_20230812_081504_129.jpg

The Jig saw worked well for the cuts, I cut the end off the blade, so it was only an inch or so long. But should have done that first thing. As the upper part even with the fender pulled out is shallow.

After deburring I covered all exposed and cut places with Red liquid electrical tape. Gives it a rubber coat, and should keep any rust away.

IMG_20230812_090136_486.jpgIMG_20230812_090128_296.jpg

For the A pillar mount, same thing. As well as clear RTV top and bottom.

This is where I had trouble, I spent an hour messing with the rivets. Turns out my hand rivet gun was no longer working, and I went through all the rivets I had. So off to town to get more, and a new one. With a rivet gun that works well, it was stupid fast.

The last thing I had trouble with, was the top fender bolt. Its hard to get to. In fact I could not get my hand in there at all. Sooooo I drilled that hole into a “T slot, Key hole?”. Threaded the nut and washer on, then slipped it into the fender that way. A bigger hole, that the washer and bolt could be worked into. Top of bolt, then bottom of bolt. And was able to slide it to the final resting place. …. Worked, but not pretty.

I also taped a copy of the template to the window.
IMG_20230812_072239_931.jpg

And there she is.

IMG_20230812_130424_587.jpg

I have a dust bowl, pre cleaner on the way for it.

It will get 33’s, (Biggest that will fit in the OE spare location, I believe)

And a bumper much like the one on my 04. And now those hybrid bumpers are popular they are easy to get.

To beat the heat, and keep gear safe, 14% or so, ceramic tint all around.

Last edited:

gnel

I highly recomend the sy-clone pre filter. I've had mine a couple of years now and have never had to blow out the filter out as I did before with the ram air. They are expensive but well worth the dough. I too do alot of dusty roads (silt beds).

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I highly recomend the sy-clone pre filter. I've had mine a couple of years now and have never had to blow out the filter out as I did before with the ram air. They are expensive but well worth the dough. I too do alot of dusty roads (silt beds).
AEV does not have theirs listed right now. But the 9001R I can probably source from somewhere else if I source from a equipment mfgr for the Sy-klone brand. JohnDeere and Cat here in town can probably get them. For right now I will see how the Dust Bowl one does. Ive used those ones on tractors farming for years. Even if I have to empty the bowl manually from time to time. I am not a big fan of the ram head.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
The dust bowl got here last night for it, but it was 106 out. So after work I jumped in the pool instead...
I will post once I have it on. I know it’s does not use centrifugal force, like the Sy-Klone, Top Spin, or Donahue Mushroom heads do. But, it also has less moving parts. Time will tell, Im sure in specific use case scenarios, like off road racing. Emptying the bowl could be problematic. This should also be an interesting case study in how fast it fills.
They were, and still are used a lot. The E7 team I believe also used them.

As always, if anyone has any questions about Zelda, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
And time will tell, will start with a highway test in the next few days.
d827609aeea4352f3a4f5c7dfa6f6dd9.jpg
3a9f80fd904daa7a61f69b3deab51bb8.jpg
2a0e3dd1794615646d4445de16b84cad.jpg
e33f3966dc333b776cb1911ce10719a4.jpg

Sent from my almost BlackBerry pocket tool. From somewhere remote. Happy Tails & Safe Travels

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Cool build. My wife’s daily is a 2019 Colorado ZR2. She absolutely loves it. It’s a fun truck for sure! Compared to the TRX I feel like I can park the ZR2 anywhere.
Thanks, It has been a blast! It’s a good little truck. It’s my millage machine. It does seem tiny. My work truck is a crew cab Duramax, and my personal HD is a 04, 2500 gasser. I really look forward to seeing what the HD ZR2 looks like. After doing all the things to my 04, I really appreciate the stock engineering that was done to the ZR2.

Looks good. My first truck was a ’94 Zr2.
Thanks, Its been fun. It is similarly equipped to my 04, just not as obviously. For example, it has a handheld, versus the quad band in the 04. And a handheld CB. For a mix of space savings as well as just hidden. The limited space has been hard. As most things are mirrored kit wise from truck to truck.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Thanks, It has been a blast! It’s a good little truck. It’s my millage machine. It does seem tiny. My work truck is a crew cab Duramax, and my personal HD is a 04, 2500 gasser. I really look forward to seeing what the HD ZR2 looks like. After doing all the things to my 04, I really appreciate the stock engineering that was done to the ZR2.

Thanks, Its been fun. It is similarly equipped to my 04, just not as obviously. For example, it has a handheld, versus the quad band in the 04. And a handheld CB. For a mix of space savings as well as just hidden. The limited space has been hard. As most things are mirrored kit wise from truck to truck.
Which beam pattern do you have on the KC lights?
Is that light bar any good? How about the fog lights?

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Which beam pattern do you have on the KC lights?
Is that light bar any good? How about the fog lights?
I have used KC lights for a long time. They have always treated me well for the price point. On the 04 the LED Slim lite only comes on 1 pattern. Which is Spot. They throw some light to the sides. The middle two are aimed to the front mid-way and just above where the high beams are. And on either edge they are aimed to the sides. This is my preferred set up. And wired through the high beams, with independent switches.

My Original KC Slim lighst had spot in the middle two, and flood on the outter two.

The KC Cube, LEDs on the front you see here are a work/flood beam. (on the hood) They have some peeling paint, but are 10yrs old. I don’t love them there. But work until I do a bumper.

The yellow fogs do help and work well. I use them more in snow probably than anything.

The LED bar in the grill is ok, It’s an off brand. It is more about the locations. Its lower than I would normally like. And its hard to aim, just due to the location. As its sandwiched into that hidden mount pretty well. All together they work. But would prefer all the be mounted grill level on the front.

I have two flush mounts I put in the rear bumper that work great as backup lights.

All wired through a nilight 6 gang switch.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger