Your favorite AT tire for first-gen Tacoma.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I'm looking for some recommendations for new tires for my truck. I'm planning on going with an all-terrain. I had thought of going with the Cooper ST/Maxx but was told that they don't work well on a Taco (something about weight). I had BFG KO's on my Jeep and really liked them, but the design is a bit antiquated.

I'll be seeing a combination of highways, dirt roads and mild to moderate trails. Not really into mud, rock-crawling or anything too extreme. So, anyone have a favorite they'd like to mention?

BIGGUY

Adventurer
BFG came out with the brand new KO2 AT last year. I just put a set on my Tundra and love them so far and they are pretty popular with the FJ crowd too on their forum.

bob.wiley.5099

I have Hankook Dynapro Atm on my 4Runner and have been really impressed. Good looks, quiet highway, good weight for size and good puncture protection. I've had them in Moab on the rocks, back home in the mud and have nothing but good things to say, off road ability has been impressive. I don't think you could go wrong with the BFG KO2s but the Hankooks are $100 cheaper/tire and offer a better warranty.

4xdog

Explorer
I have original BFG AT KOs on my 2001 DC, in 235-85/16, and I've been very happy with them. They like to be rotated every 5kmi or so. When these are gone I fully expect to go with KO2s (or who knows, maybe KO3s by then).

i-dz8LNsk-L.jpg

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I have original BFG AT KOs on my 2001 DC, in 235-85/16, and I've been very happy with them. They like to be rotated every 5kmi or so. When these are gone I fully expect to go with KO2s (or who knows, maybe KO3s by then).

i-dz8LNsk-L.jpg

Do you have any pics from different angles? I'd contemplated that size, but was worried they'd look too thin. Leaning towards 265/75r16, but they're heavy.

4xdog

Explorer
Some other angles of the 235/85-16 BFG AT KOs on my Gen 1 2001 Tacoma DC. They seem just the right size to my taste.
i-877FQkN-X2.jpg

i-7gXBFpV-X2.jpg

i-PwG4XhW-X2.jpg

i-vJFCF4C-X2.jpg

Last edited:

Roadtrip1

I ran BFG AT KO tires, size 265/75/16 on my 2004 Tacoma DC. They lasted 63,415 miles with tread left, but sidewalls were cracking (they were 7 yrs 11 months old). I just bought Cooper Discoverer A/T3's in a 235/85/16 size and so far I'm really happy with them. MPG seems to have increased, but I haven't confirmed miles per gallon yet. I'm sure they will handle wet roads and snow better than the BFGs did...BFGs in snow and on wet pavement are not confidence-inspiring by any means. As far as "pizza cutters" vs flotation-sized tires, I'm probably going to stay with the 235/85/16 size. They don't look too thin in my opinion, but that's just me. Good luck with whatever you decide!

irish_11

Explorer
BFG AT KOs. I've had two sets on my Tacoma, one on the Fj40, one on my FJ62, and another on my 1st gen 4runner. They are fairly quiet, long lasting, have good traction, and seem to work well in compact snow/ice. The current set is a 33x10.5r15 (second photo) the first is a 32x12.5r15.

241453_807871068000_2514831_o.jpg

10498577_10100942444251220_1251734028984764339_o.jpg

chowwwww

Observer
I have Hankook Dynapro Atm on my 4Runner and have been really impressed. Good looks, quiet highway, good weight for size and good puncture protection. I've had them in Moab on the rocks, back home in the mud and have nothing but good things to say, off road ability has been impressive. I don't think you could go wrong with the BFG KO2s but the Hankooks are $100 cheaper/tire and offer a better warranty.

I have the atm also. So far so good. they prob have about 15k mi on them but still look new. accept for marks from rocks. No complaints.

I have the Cooper St Maxx's on my truck in 255/85r16. I have not had a problem with them. What is the problem? Supposed to be too heavy and mess with the suspension?

I have about 20k miles on mine. Driven across the country and back in them. Make less noise than the old BFG AT's I had before.

I think either tire will work just fine. The KO2 was not available in 255/85 when I bought the Cooper's.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I have the Cooper St Maxx's on my truck in 255/85r16. I have not had a problem with them. What is the problem? Supposed to be too heavy and mess with the suspension?

I have about 20k miles on mine. Driven across the country and back in them. Make less noise than the old BFG AT's I had before.

I think either tire will work just fine. The KO2 was not available in 255/85 when I bought the Cooper's.

No, it was something to do with the weight of the truck. Tire not designed for it, or something. I should have tried to nail down more specifics from the guy at the tire shop. I figured I do a little digging to see if anyone had some experience.

It surprises me to hear people say the BFG's aren't good in snow. Once, I came over the mountains in rural WV in my old TJ, in a Blizzard, on nothing but back roads that hadn't been plowed. It took hours, with anywhere from 6-9' on the ground, fresh. I had a set of KO's and the Jeep stuck fine with less sliding than I'd have thought.

Last edited:

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I've had 2 sets of BFG AT's and one set of General AT's and I decided to try the CT/traction style tire. This is in line with the Cooper ST Maxx. If you're ok with a little more tire noise, they might be good for you. I have been running a set of Mastercraft CT 235/85r16's. Had them on my 2001 Tacoma for 6 months and just put them on my 2006. I crawled out of some nasty gumbo mud today that my previous BFG AT's would not have gotten me through. The price was good and so far the traction has been stellar in dry, wet, snow and mud. I traverse dirt roads daily and have been working on our preserves and between the thorns and the mud, I can't imagine having anything but an E rated tire on my truck. You feel the weight but it's worth the trade off. Just don't put too much air in them. I keep them around 32psi and found that the 35-38psi most people run is just jarring on the street.

235/85r16 is by far my favorite tire size for these little trucks. The 265/75r16 is just heavy and wide.

-jorge

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Toyo AT2 no question

Great tire for Az. Not the best if you see much rain or snow once you get near 50% wear.

I'm going with ST Maxxs next time on my 100 series. Can't think of a reason they wouldn't be great on a Taco. I love them on my Dodge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger