Yugo to Argentina

Jason124

Hello! Yes you read the title correctly. I am in the search of the worst car produced for the US, and will be departing early next year From Naples, Fl., and heading as far south as the roads and the car will take us. Why you ask? Well we will be making a documentary about the journey, victories, and the hardships that will come. I often hear that this type of Expedition cannot be done in a car, the roads are to terrible south of the US, The Yugo will die on you, or we will be killed. I'd like to try and find out, and film every step of the way. I hate when people tell me it can't be done!

I am currently looking for one of these Fable cars, and it is not an easy task these days. I know they were produced from 1988 to 1991 for the US. They had engines out of Fiats, between 55 and 67 Hp. All of the cars had Manuals. I've looked all over the state of Florida and Georgia, but i am aware that these cars are not really something goes out and advertises for sale. Half the time they don't run. Most of the time the timing belts snap and bend some valves...

To me this is the perfect expedition vehicle, A car that has been written off doing something that shouldn't be done.

I have a project up on Kickstarter.com, I am doing some final Edits to my project before it launches. If you or Somebody you know has a Yugo, or would like to sponsor the trip in some way, please let me know! When i purchase a car I will keep everyone on Expedition Portal informed!

Jason124

hello! thank you for the positive responses, i wasn't really sure what kind of reaction i would get. haha. The car in Kentucky is pretty much exactly what i'm looking for! i'll email him, I'd buy it for about 500, due to the broken timing belt, and cracked windshield. My budget is 1000 for a car, and about 1000 is to maintain and to upgrade, (Roof rack, Running lights, other stuff, spare parts.

I wonder if the one with the 455 still has the front engine, 4wd Yugo!

ihatemybike

Explorer
I love these type of endeavors.

I wouldn't exactly call them the worst car produced for the USA. They were actually decent cars, but they were viewed by many as disposable and not well taken care of. Having a hard time meeting new emission guidelines and political unrest in Yugoslavia ended the company's USA efforts. They were sold 1885-1992, though the years you list above are considered to be the better model years. Look for GVX/GV+ models with EFI for better performance.

A friend of mine from The BABE Rally has built a Yugo capable of beating Corvettes at autocross races using a tweaked stock engine. http://www.misfittoysracing.com/Yugo/index.htm He posts on various auto forums as JThw8 and is a wealth of weird car knowledge. He also won the 24 Hours of LeMons essay contest to be given and build a 1958 Wartburg 311 into a race car.

Here's a two for one price Yugos CL ad in Phillipsburg, NJ. White one appears to be an EFI edition. Can't see the hood well enough on the blue, but kinda looks like it had the vent too.
http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/3161157692.html

These are really close to JThw8's place.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
One of my friends in high school back in the Eighties had one of these. He could steer the car just with the throttle. Throttle on to turn right and throttle off to turn left. Other than that I don't remember him having any problems with it. His parents bought two of them brand new for 8K. I seem to remember that Yugo advertised this as the buy one get one free deal. . .

David

Jason124

The only reason I call it the worst car, is because of the bad wrap it has. Well that, and its on Every list of the worst cars. They were cheap cars, at a cheap price. I have never owned one, so i have no idea. I do know (from ZastavanaCionale.com) that the model 45 yugo was produced From October 2nd, 1987 to November 11th, 2008. With nearly 800,000 produced. So to me these cars have some credibility to me. Also, i couldn't think of another car that could make so many people say: Your doing What? In That? haha.

oryxexpeditions, I remember my father talking about that when i was a kid. There was a dealer in Naples I guess doing the buy one get one free thing!

T815

Observer
Worst Car Ever !!! You know many good cars US or Euro have been labeled bad etc in USA, most times its the d __b s___d f--g lzy american owners, if its not fool proof 100k service intervals you know what I mean. Fiat engines are near bullet proof provided they are maintained, Lada Polsky Fiat Seat amoung others based on older Fiat designs. personally owned many Fiats in UK 124 sport, 128, 850 sport, Uno 100's K miles driven never had a mech' failure, yes the bodies rotted out with UK salt laden roads but mech' great cars, I hope the Yugo will be the same reliability for you

Jason124

T815! Thats exactly what i was thinking! it's all about the owner of the car. The reason most Yugos died was because of the owners. I am just learning how great these little cars were.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Be like Joe Friday! happy0034.gif

yugo2.jpg

Humour apart, there's absolutely no reason why a properly prepared, used Yugo of this type/vintage shouldn't make the journey.

Perhaps check out a Yugo forum/older car forum/foreign car forum to assist in understanding the car (known weak points/service tips/locating a used one+parts etc).

Jason124

Jackpot!

Hello everyone! So heres a huge update, I bought a car!! a 1988 Yugo GVX clone. Wopping 1.1L of furry! Factory A/C, Louvers, and sunroof. It needs a little bit of work, the clutch is on its way out, and so is the brake master cyclinder, but the previous owner put alot of work into it. It even comes with the replacement parts. Right now its up in north Alabama and i will be needing to ship it down to me in Naples Fl. (Bought sight unseen...Yikes) This car is in much better shape the any others that i have seen in the price range, with tons of features. I'd say i'll have it by mid next month. I need to locate a shipper that can deal with a car with a weak clutch and no brakes. (Ebrakes work)

Argentina here we come!
attachment.php

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Cool! I always liked these cars. I worked at a dealer in college that sold Yugos, they had a drawing for everyone buying a Ford, Isuzu or Subaru (the makes they also sold) could win a free Yugo. No one who name was drawn would accept the car.... I tried to get one winner to accept and I would buy it, but she wanted NOTHING to do with it. It was funny to the sales folks....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan