Zam15’s Tacoma Build

Zam15

Explorer
Taco Tuesday update! Getting close! Just waiting on a pair of Northstar batteries to arrive before we can fire her up! I'll likely get her for a few days for some shake down runs. Then back to the shop to finish up paint, rear bumper and a several other little items.

38372244776_fbf35a92cf_b.jpg

26651642259_0028498599_b.jpg

Adventurous

Explorer
This thing is absurdly awesome. Can't wait to see it in the dirt again and must hear about how well the 4-linked rear does. Any reason you didn't do a hydrobump setup while you were at it?

Zam15

Explorer
This thing is absurdly awesome. Can't wait to see it in the dirt again and must hear about how well the 4-linked rear does. Any reason you didn't do a hydrobump setup while you were at it?

Less maintenance and noise. Maybe a future upgrade but the bumps work good for now.

Batteries are in! Now the shop is trying to track down an electrical gremlins so they can fire the thing up! That's always the fun part... Hopefully with some luck she'll be up and running tomorrow!

Cover is on the fuel tanks and it looks way cleaner now! I'll need to take her on a nice trip to the car was once she's mobile

24601734488_4161e48c99_b.jpg

Zam15

Explorer
Truck got so close today! Drove out of the shop under its own power today, they also got the alignment done. Only issue is that with the Tundra discs up front and the explorer discs out back it's maxing out the stock Tacoma master cylinder. They're going to look at upgrading to a newer Tundra master cylinder help push the brakes.
37857413664_38e375ab53_b.jpg

38517482476_2a461c8f08_b.jpg

Also up front with the 35" there will need to be some chopping.

bkg

Explorer
I dont believe the tundra MC will work. Been looking at options for my Tacoma for weeks. 01-06 tundra is same mc as Tacoma. The 07+ won't bolt up.to your master.

Sequoia MC may work, but you'd need the booster. Similar for anything out of a gen4 4runner. Your best bet might be a 98 t100 booster with a 1" bore t100 mc or an Fzj 80 mc.

I have 5 mc's on my bench right now. Since I can't remove my booster w/o taking the body off, I'm stuck with looking for other options. About to go check out some Honda units that might work.

Dorman's site lets you search by mounting holes and bore sizes.... Its become my home page

Zam15

Explorer
I dont believe the tundra MC will work. Been looking at options for my Tacoma for weeks. 01-06 tundra is same mc as Tacoma. The 07+ won't bolt up.to your master.

Sequoia MC may work, but you'd need the booster. Similar for anything out of a gen4 4runner. Your best bet might be a 98 t100 booster with a 1" bore t100 mc or an Fzj 80 mc.

I have 5 mc's on my bench right now. Since I can't remove my booster w/o taking the body off, I'm stuck with looking for other options. About to go check out some Honda units that might work.

Dorman's site lets you search by mounting holes and bore sizes.... Its become my home page

Yeah, T-100 booster is what the guys that go to a solid front axle use.

Well, luckily it looks like there are plenty of options out there.

Found several "Toyota Booster to GM Master Cylinder" mods

This master cylinder has a 1.25" bore.

Thoughts? May float this by the shop. Seems like it would offer a serious upgrade.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyota-booster-to-gm-master-cylinder.html

gm_master_cylinder.jpg

chevymc3.jpg

313034393935363734382d6272616b652d626f6f737465722d75706772616465732d65642e6a7067.jpg

Last edited:

tyv12

Adventurer
With the bigger bore is there just more breaking pressure then? Not quite understanding why you have to change the master cylinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
Bigger bore will move more fluid, but its really not quite that simple. There is quite a lot of math in the formula for selecting the right combo of MC and booster.

Too much bore w/o enough boost - manual brakes. Too little bore or toonkuch boost - mush. That, of course, assumes every thing else in the brake system is working perfectly.

I would.not just throw that GM MC this truck and hope.for the best. Read Billavista's brake bible on PBB, erikb's brake work on 4x4wire, and also Brian's (generlee7) build on PBB. anything else is just trial and error
. And the cost can add up quick.

Zam15

Explorer
Bigger bore will move more fluid, but its really not quite that simple. There is quite a lot of math in the formula for selecting the right combo of MC and booster.

Too much bore w/o enough boost - manual brakes. Too little bore or toonkuch boost - mush. That, of course, assumes every thing else in the brake system is working perfectly.

I would.not just throw that GM MC this truck and hope.for the best. Read Billavista's brake bible on PBB, erikb's brake work on 4x4wire, and also Brian's (generlee7) build on PBB. anything else is just trial and error
. And the cost can add up quick.

Agreed, I believe it was mostly "mush" at this point, pedal went to the floor when they first fired up the new setup. I was just going by what others have seemed to have success with. I'll let the shop decide what to do next. There are a variety of combos that people run. T100 booster w/GM Master seems to be like a winner in a lot of cases. My setup is fairly unique with the tundra/explorer brakes, so it may take a few tries to get it perfect.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
check out Dorman's website for an easy ability to search based on bore size and mounting flange. BillaVista's bible can help get you close off the bat (and he posted an xlsx file to help determine). I'd start cross referencing against what Ford offered for the explorer. Should give a good bore size starting point. My guess is you'll end up in the 1.0-1.125' bore size range with a dual stage booster... but that's a guess.

Either way, once dialed in, should be awesome combo.

Zam15

Explorer
So brake master cylinder got swapped out, deleted the ABS, brake proportioning valve added, bled the system several times and now she stops with no problem! :wings:

She's home safe in the driveway for the first time in a long time! She will make a few return trips to dial her in and tighten everything down. Will eventually have rear bumper made she is set.
38636880666_0bd7e0d132_b.jpg

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Dr. Frankenstein
damn i have a T100 MC just sitting at home Id have sent. All you would have needed. Oh well. Glad its rolling!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12