Zero budget just get out there adventure van

joeblack5

Great job on the van and keeping up with the maintenance and of course the pics. I am impressed with your rust repairs. Are you spraying hollow wax inside to prevent condensation. And rust from the inside.
Good luck, johan

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Tell us more about this hollow wax…

Haven’t heard of it, but it sounds like a really good approach. Can you spray glue insulation to it?

JamesReddish

Great job on the van and keeping up with the maintenance and of course the pics. I am impressed with your rust repairs. Are you spraying hollow wax inside to prevent condensation. And rust from the inside.
Good luck, johan

Thanks for the kind words,

My approach so far has been to use brush on Waxoyl on the underside/under the arches. Then into any holes or areas I can't reach I have used aerosol cans of stonechip.

Tell us more about this hollow wax…

Haven’t heard of it, but it sounds like a really good approach. Can you spray glue insulation to it?

I think what @joeblack5 is referencing is if you have a compressor there are a variety of nozzles available that allow you to feed a tube deep into the chassis or other components and coat them from the inside with a rust protection product. Like this -

Screenshot_20231119_074448_eBay.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong?

joeblack5

Yes, that is what meant, waxoil.. dinitrol.. I am sure there are more brands available.. it delays existing rust that starts from the inside.. a lot of rust begins between the metal at the seams that are spot welded together..

Johan

RVflyfish

Fishing is life. The rest is details.
Interesting. Does it stay wet or does it dry? Do you need to reapply it, and if so, how often?

JamesReddish

Interesting. Does it stay wet or does it dry? Do you need to reapply it, and if so, how often?

I think that depends on the product chosen, the Waxoyl I use stays as a waxy finish that never dries, and sort of 'heals' over a stone chip. Although I do reapply it anyway.

JamesReddish

Another reason I love having the van, just so handy to have for life jobs.

Moved a friends motorbike. (Still to put my own in the van even though I've moved a few for other people)20231126_082222.jpg

Used a sketchy ramp, so decided to make my own to fit and work better.

20231128_095958.jpg
20231130_143707.jpg

Perhaps I'll get around to painting it and a couple of finishing touches before it gets used.

And also did a huge tip run from a complete bathroom makeover.
20231021_185839.jpg

Jalopy77

Another reason I love having the van, just so handy to have for life jobs.

Moved a friends motorbike. (Still to put my own in the van even though I've moved a few for other people)View attachment 808705

Used a sketchy ramp, so decided to make my own to fit and work better.

View attachment 808704
View attachment 808703

Perhaps I'll get around to painting it and a couple of finishing touches before it gets used.

And also did a huge tip run from a complete bathroom makeover.
View attachment 808708

...you're right James. You just can't beat a van for getting stuff done. If I had a dollar for every time a friend or family member needed soemthing shifting I'd be a wealthy man.

Well, I'd have a fist load of dollar bills anyway!

:) :)

JamesReddish

...you're right James. You just can't beat a van for getting stuff done. If I had a dollar for every time a friend or family member needed soemthing shifting I'd be a wealthy man.

Well, I'd have a fist load of dollar bills anyway!

:) :)
Yes absolutely, any fuel money is welcome here!

nelstomlinson

You asked about what tools to carry. My plan is to carry parts that I might reasonably change on the side of the road, and the tools to do the job. E.g. I want a spare tire, so I carry a lug wrench and jack. When I drove a power stroke, I carried a cam position sensor, and the wrench that fit. I carried a spare power steering hose, and the wrenches, and power steering fluid. I've had to change each of those in parking lots or roadsides.

JamesReddish

You asked about what tools to carry. My plan is to carry parts that I might reasonably change on the side of the road, and the tools to do the job. E.g. I want a spare tire, so I carry a lug wrench and jack. When I drove a power stroke, I carried a cam position sensor, and the wrench that fit. I carried a spare power steering hose, and the wrenches, and power steering fluid. I've had to change each of those in parking lots or roadsides.

My thoughts exactly, although I'm now getting to a point that I need to sort out more space for the tools/spares. I'm really not sure what to do so I can keep everything stored away neatly. Especially if I take extras on longer drives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan