Is Offroading in a SuperDuty Really That Bad?

Mack M

I've seen Scott Brady review the Tremor and said the ride off-road was pretty harsh. If you don't want to do a full Carli setup and want to keep it king of close to stock suspension wise, with 35s, would it really be that bad?

I've been looking to move into a full-size, and the Toyota tundra is having some real issues with the V35A twin turbo, sticking with a super duty, XL trim with the simple push rod 6.8, solid front axel and the ability to carry a good sized camper seems like a good choice.

Is the off-road comfort, or lack there of really that bad or is it pretty miserable?

Thanks in advance!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Gotta pay to play.

They are heavy trucks, designed to haul heavy, with simple suspensions and stiff shocks.
So yes, in anything near stock form, the ride quality is pretty bad.

My work service truck is a Chevy. Its like driving a sofa compared to my personal Superduty.

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
Gotta pay to play.

They are heavy trucks, designed to haul heavy, with simple suspensions and stiff shocks.
So yes, in anything near stock form, the ride quality is pretty bad.

My work service truck is a Chevy. Its like driving a sofa compared to my personal Superduty.
I think @IdaSHO pretty much nailed it with the Chevy comment. If you’re looking for a HD that can do some moderate off roading, I’d look at the new Chevy Silverado HD ZR2. They seem like a good option. The other option if you’re not concerned about the payload would be the Ram Power Wagon (unless you want a diesel, and then Ram offers the 2500 Rebel).

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Sounds like favorites, is this turning into a Ford vs. Chevy thread?

My F150 rides like a Cadilac on pavement, oh, wait, that's where 97% of the miles on it have been.

"Off road" is a pretty non-descript term, is that on a dirt trail, a rocky canyon, grassy field, pasture, utility trail in hill country, just what is "OFF ROAD"? You guys in the West get to play in sand, are you riding for hundreds of miles in soft sand or hard packed, washed out terrain?

Sounds like, in reality, off road will include a paved trail in the campground with a speed limit set as 15 MPH!

I get "off road" every time I go to the lake, most of the time it's hard packed ruts and sometimes it's muddy slop, the ride is like riding a horse down a steep slope, not running at the Kentucky Derby, speed is 5 to 15 MPH, I can't understand trying to consider the ride comfort of a truck traversing this off road experience as a condition of my purchase requirements.

@Bigc3031 can you define "expectation management", sounds like a college course; is that like going out some night thinking you'll be picking up some hottie chick and after a few drinks you settle on a woman 10 years older than you, on the plump side with thick glasses and a hair growing from the mole on her nose?

Reminds me, if you want to be successful in life, lower your expectations!

tacollie

Glamper
It's rough unloaded. Running 35s and lowering the air pressure in the tires helps a lot. Some weight in the bed helps. I still love ours. We bought it to carry a camper and it excels at that. 1700lbs in the bed really difference the ride.

Go test drive one. Even on road it's going to be a big change from a Tundra.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
How's the ride?

Copy-of-DSC09426.jpg

Mack M

It's rough unloaded. Running 35s and lowering the air pressure in the tires helps a lot. Some weight in the bed helps. I still love ours. We bought it to carry a camper and it excels at that. 1700lbs in the bed really difference the ride.

Go test drive one. Even on road it's going to be a big change from a Tundra.
Thank you, yeah, I test drove one a few weeks ago and it was stiff. My brother has one and claims that it will break in a little bit and not be as stiff. But you’re right I want load caring capacity, I just didn’t know how much a difference 35s and Bilstein 5100s would make for example.

BajaRunner

Bandito
I'm used to my 2001 Super Duty with leafs at all 4 corners. I bet one of dem fancy new ones with coils would feel pretty nice. 3-4x a year I drive 100 miles in and out on an unkept dirt track. I air down to 20 and its really not that bad. I do often dream of doing the drive in a lighter rig with coils though.

tacollie

Glamper
Thank you, yeah, I test drove one a few weeks ago and it was stiff. My brother has one and claims that it will break in a little bit and not be as stiff. But you’re right I want load caring capacity, I just didn’t know how much a difference 35s and Bilstein 5100s would make for example.
I don't feel like the suspension broke in ever. 35s at a lower pressure and Bilstein 5100 make a difference. That took my wife from "what it this POS you bought!?" to "Let's take your truck".

deserteagle56

Adventurer
"Off road" is a pretty non-descript term, is that on a dirt trail, a rocky canyon, grassy field, pasture, utility trail in hill country, just what is "OFF ROAD"? You guys in the West get to play in sand, are you riding for hundreds of miles in soft sand or hard packed, washed out terrain?
^This!

Me, I'm never "Off Road". Most of the time though, I'm "Off Pavement". So I use vehicles that can work on the roads I have to traverse. You're not going to like driving any of these roads in a HD pickup!
P1006914er.jpg

P1017617er.jpg

P1017667er.jpg

Big tires, aired way down, is the only way to travel these roads with a HD pickup.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
^This!

Me, I'm never "Off Road". Most of the time though, I'm "Off Pavement". So I use vehicles that can work on the roads I have to traverse. You're not going to like driving any of these roads in a HD pickup!
View attachment 834757

View attachment 834758

View attachment 834759

Big tires, aired way down, is the only way to travel these roads with a HD pickup.
First pic- I'd probably hit 40-50 trying to skim over "bump frequency" moma nature put there, I would expect my teeth would remain in place and that's without airing down! If I expected more than 5 miles of that stuff I'd consider the trouble of airing down.

Pic 2 is 2 to 5 mph, period, airing down to go faster is futile, going faster just throws rocks around and schedule a dentist appointment.

That last pic is about the same as Pic 2, but up hill, taking that curve at 30, lower the deductible on your dental insurance.

Pic 2 and 3 is about what we have at the lake. You're not "touring" you're just maneuvering and if it's only a couple hundred yards it's not worth messing with the tires. It's just easier to slow down.......

Point is, the quality of the "ride" becomes irrelevant, almost laughable to even consider it.

Now, if you want to go about 60/70 on Pic 1, or 30-40 on the others, let's get a good rally car with good firm seats.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I'm not totally in the know with super duty suspension but here's my thought. Can you piece together suspension components from various companies to make the ride better? Like different leaf springs, coils, airbags, steering stabilizer, etc?

Even then, a Carli backcountry system is only like $2500 isnt it?

I've heard via instagram that adding just the Carli Torsion Sway Bar kit dramatically increases the ride. Don't know anyone who has done it but that's the word on the street.

If you do upgrade shocks, go with something adjustable like fox 2.5 and have them valved for your truck. Thats my next move....I think.

Edit: I just realized you are only thinking of getting the truck lol. Check the Tremor forums, tons of info on there. Seems like it is doable.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'd leave it stock aside from the 35's for now. Air down and drive slow where needed as @Ozarker mentioned.

The weight of the camper and anything else you've loaded up for the trip will help.

All depends on where you are traveling off road. Gravel, Hard packed dirt, logging roads, rocky trails?

I'd try what I suggest above first and see how you find the ride. Then upgrade the suspension if you feel it's warranted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179