01-04 Tacoma Double Cab

Afdfiremedic

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of trying to find a DC Tacoma and am having a hard time locating anything worthwhile. I did look at one the other day and thought I would get your guys take on it. It's extremely clean and includes a warranty(not sure what is covered) The price seems high ($19,211) but here in Oregon 2001-2004 DC 4x4 Tacoma's are tough to locate in this condition. This rig is going to be my new daily driver(whopping 2 mile commute to my firehouse)/expo rig and I plan on keeping it for a long time. What do you guys think? Thanks for helping out.

http://www.wilsonvilletoyota.com/mobile/Photos/15748760/#&ui-state=dialog

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
That price seems high and and the truck is "overly clean" - the Toyota tax must be high in the PNW! Was the timing belt done? I didn't see the sticker, and at that price make sure it is included! (include water pump, idler pulley, etc) I think you should do a national search and see if trading weekends (as FF seem to be able to do for longer stretches off duty) and fly in drive home. Ask a private seller to take the truck to a dealer for the Toyota inspection.... On all this gen DCs check the frame and you are good to go. My 02 has over 200k miles and drives great still! PS that is a nice looking example of the DC Taco!

pwr2lbs

Observer
Prices are crazy up here in the NW, I have been trying to find a four door DC to replace two door 03. I can't find anything clean for under 20k.

SixLug

Explorer
Its going to be a bit of money for a clean one. And you may have to travel. But I got my 04 DC for less than that asking price and it had 63K on it when I bought it (in July). I had to fly to Nebraska and drive it back to TN also. They are out there but you will have to take your time and be ready to pounce on it.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I understand that you want a Tacoma DC. However, I bought my 05 Tundra DC for that price and it has only 42K on it. It is a heck of a lot of truck and a lot less used than that Tacoma. I'd be patient and keep looking. As mentioned look nation wide. A plane ticket is worth it if you don't have to settle.

Here is a Tacoma in Utah for less with 85K
http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/828155?ad_cid=11

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
$20k for a 9 year old truck with 20 year old design is insane. I'm really hoping the Toyota "bubble" bursts pretty soon and prices come back down to earth.

I'd echo JCMatthews and say look for a Tundra. More truck for less money. You'll probably do about the same MPG wise and I'm pretty sure the Tundra has a bigger tank than the pathetic 18.5 gallon that the Taco's get. You'll also have a lot more power from the 4.7 V7 vs the marginal 3.4.

enzo

Explorer
That's what they are going for here. That truck is clean as all get out. And as far as the Toyota bubble bursting, good luck. As these small trucks get bigger and bigger it seams people are still liking the size if the 1st gen Taco.

penangtoy

Adventurer
That's what they are going for here. That truck is clean as all get out. And as far as the Toyota bubble bursting, good luck. As these small trucks get bigger and bigger it seams people are still liking the size if the 1st gen Taco.
I totally agree with what Enzo 's observations. I met several people on the local off road scene and , one even trade his 07 double cab for the first gen double which was an 04. Several of their complains were fitting thru tight trails and having a bigger mass /body to drive around I also flew out to Phoenix AZ to pick mine up . I live in So CAL and the Double cab with 4wd are hard to find especially a clean rig. But after finding one it was sure worth it.

Clutch

<---Pass
As these small trucks get bigger and bigger it seams people are still liking the size if the 1st gen Taco.

That is the thing I love/hate about the 1st gens.

I love the compactness for general running around...and fricken hate it when I have to do any serious hauling/traveling. Though a trailer helps make up for its wee-ness.

Saguache

Adventurer
They are asking way too much for it even with the topper. I would hesitate to do business with these guys as a result. That topper cost maybe $3000 new (and that's if the previous owner didn't shop around). You could get a complete detail for this truck for about $120 and the BFG TAs (new) are another $1000. Even if this rig is as clean as they can make it, and you're willing to pay new prices for used equipment someone else added they are still asking book + new value on modifications + some more. You're going to need to get the timing belt done and replace the water pump at the same time (add $2k) and if you're going to make it expo than just start adding all of those bills on too.

Wilsonville Toyota knows that a) these rigs are hard to come by just about anywhere and b) that they'll find a noob who will have more money than sense, but I wouldn't pay what they're asking for sure. It has too many miles on it, but this rig is just down the street from me and they've got a window tag in it right now -$1k more. You could get something like it and then use some of your expo money making it a sound, reliable ride.

I'm a huge fan of the Gen 1 double cab tacos. They are the last of what used to be considered a compact truck, they are easy to mod, and excellent on and off road. So I won't tell you to consider a Gen 2 (because I don't like them nearly as much), but that's just too much money to ask for a Gen 1 that doesn't have anything special going on already.

ol' scott

Adventurer
You're going to need to get the timing belt done and replace the water pump at the same time (add $2k) and if you're going to make it expo than just start adding all of those bills on too.

I've never paid more than $600 to have this work done. OP don't take $2k as a reliable estimate. I would also bet that the service department has already done this work if it was due, it's part of regularly scheduled maintenance so if they haven't it's certainly a bargaining chip.

Go and offer them $17,000 and be willing to pay $18,000 if it makes you happy. Or $16,500 and willing to pay $17,500, or whatever. They expect you to talk them down, so do it and be willing to walk away.

longtrail

Have to agree this is a bit too much $$ for what it is. With a little searching, and a little luck, you should be able to find something at a reasonable price. I picked up my 02 dblcab earlier this year, at about half the price of the one you are looking at, with 130k mileage. I also sold my 06 dblcab to get it... both awesome trucks with strong and weak points... but that's another story.
Here's a shot of both of them in my driveway.
summerfall 2012 072.jpg
hey, this is my first post, Hi everyone!

Clutch

<---Pass
Have to agree this is a bit too much $$ for what it is. With a little searching, and a little luck, you should be able to find something at a reasonable price. I picked up my 02 dblcab earlier this year, at about half the price of the one you are looking at, with 130k mileage. I also sold my 06 dblcab to get it... both awesome trucks with strong and weak points... but that's another story.
Here's a shot of both of them in my driveway.

Wouldn't mind hearing why you went backwards. :)

hey, this is my first post, Hi everyone!

Hellooooo! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77