'03 Tacoma Build

Derek24

Explorer
Ahhh I'm sitting back waiting...waiting for this Taco to look just like your late awesome Tundra! :)

degraaf

Well I just pulled the trigger on a new set of Icon's that were on sale.....damnit.....could-not-resist :D.
Anybody happen to be looking for a brand new set of 5100's, OME 881's, & Toytec 1/4" top plate spacer :rolleyes:?

Are the Icons still on sale, and if so where?

xjaugie

Adventurer
HIJACK ON

You know there are several good fabricators in the NOVA area that could whip that out in a couple hours...

HIJACK OFF

HIJACK ON

I've printed a photo and will have my local feb guy here in Westminster, MD bult me one come this spring.

HIJACK OFF

01tundra

Explorer
Everything has arrived for the winch install, other then the 12VoltsGuy switch panel that should be here in a week or so. I'm going to start cutting and welding this afternoon and will hopefully have something that resembles a winch mount by the end of the weekend.

haddix

Adventurer
Are you still trying to lie to yourself and say this build is going to be mild or is that out the window?

01tundra

Explorer
Anyways.....started working on the winch mount this weekend. I plated the outside of the frame with 3/16" plate with anti-crush sleeves welded to them. The entire winch mount is bolt-on, used 2"X3"x3/16" tube and 2"x3"x3/16" angle. Bought a Smittybilt winch mounting plate to hack apart. I welded the factory endcaps onto the frame a little better and reused them. The winch mount is held on with (2) 1/2" Grade 8 bolts on each side, plus the two factory bolts for the tow hooks, plus the factory end cap bolts. The winch plate is attached to the mount with four 1/2" Grade 8 bolts. So I would say the weak point would be the four 3/8" bolts that comes with the winch.

I've got the lower plastic valance trimmed and ready to go back on, but I'm waiting on new clip nuts and bolts to come in for it. I'm going to start mounting the solenoid pack under the hood tonight and getting it all wired up.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

w6.jpg

w6a.jpg

w7.jpg

w8.jpg

w9.jpg

w10.jpg

w11.jpg

01tundra

Explorer
Thanks.

I zipped the plastic part of the bumper out with my pneumatic body saw without even marking it, just free-hand cut and fit type deal, so it's probably not going to look as clean as it could have. It was 1:00 AM this morning and I was running on empty, not the greatest time to attempt detailed aesthetic work by all means.........

The winch didn't land where I anticipated/wanted it to.....looked good on paper though :rolleyes:. I wanted to have it sitting higher so I wouldn't have to chop the valance up, but to do that I would have had to chop the chrome bumper up.....some idiot put this really cool looking transmission cooler right in my way :). Right now it's easy to access if need be atleast. I figured if it turns out butt ugly, I'll just build a super light-weight plate bumper around it all to make it purty again :D!

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Put up pics anyway. If it looks crappy then you'll make us all feel better about ourselves... You don't have an off-day very often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk