'03 Tacoma Build

jim65wagon

That is a nice job......the garage is so clean now! How long did that take? The winch is good too! Paint the shiny handle black and call it good! Again, you are proving our lack in the "mad skillz" department.......

Box Rocket

Nice work. I think you've done that as cleanly as possible. Looks like a factory option to me. Did you do anything to waterproof the solenoid connections? That's the only real complaint I've heard about the XRC winches is that they are poorly sealed and can get corroded and stop working when you least expect it. If you did anything to improve the seals I'd love to see some pics and suggestions as I'm considering an XRC for my own truck.

01tundra

Explorer
Thanks. I may pick up a new lower valance so I can cut it a little tighter around the fairlead........

No I haven't yet, I figured since they were under the hood they may not need it. But I will most likely do something to them at some point since I've read about the same issues.

Last edited:

dyogim

Explorer
Nice! Looks good how it's integrated into the stock bumper. Looks as almost a winch was meant to be mounted there.

01tundra

Explorer
I'm experimenting with a different valance, found one at PartsGeek that's a "non ground effect" version for an '03 Tacoma that's got a lot better profile to it. It's an $18 gamble, but maybe it will turn out to be a win :)! Best I can tell, I basically cut the "ground effects" off my factory one, so this may save a step and look a lot cleaner at the same time.......or it could end up as a bunch of cut up plastic in my trash can :D.

01tundra

Explorer
Yep, they're still doing great. They really stick in the rain well. Haven't really had a chance to try them in the snow yet, but what little we've had, they seemed to do really good. They also do well in loose gravel.

01tundra

Explorer
I finally got the new valance on, didn't turn out perfect, but it's as good as it's going to get. I like the cleaner fit, plus I hardly had to trim the bottom of this one since it isn't the valance with the "ground effects".....

wf1.jpg

wf2.jpg

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
That turned out well (but the other one looked okay to me).

I guess it's not something you can really tell by a photo unless you see it in person.

It probably would have bugged you to no end until you fixed it, right?

What's the next project?

01tundra

Explorer
Yeah, not a big change, but it was bugging me. The new valance is just a little cleaner/simpler, mostly on the bottom and on the ends, since I didn't have to cut through the ground effects lines. Hard to really tell by my crappy pictures.

No big items left as of now, trying to figure out a way to make my bed tent from the Tundra work with this one. Then maybe find a new airbedz for it. Thinking about building an aluminum, low-profile, easy removal bed rack for hauling our kayaks on. I would want to be able to leave the bed cover on it while using the rack. Haven't got very far with it yet.....it's just rattling around in my brain now, waiting for the fuse to get lit :)!

Before -

winch4.jpg

After -

wf2.jpg

Before -

winch2.jpg

After -

wf1.jpg

01tundra

Explorer
Well hell......now that I posted the pictures like that......I'm starting to like the original better......damnit :(!

Good thing I kept the old one.....

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Now that you mention it... I didn't want to say anything, being that you worked so hard and put so much time into it, but if you take a close look at... no, no, never mind.

It's probably not a big deal - I doubt anyone will notice.

01tundra

Explorer
So do I throw the original valance back on it or pick up a new one like my factory one and try to cut it tighter around the fairlead?

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
No... I really shouldn't have said anything...

:coffeedrink: gotcha! Just messing with you - both look good!

01tundra

Explorer
Still think I'm going to throw the first one back on tonight, I kind of like the way it looks better afterall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal