'03 Tacoma Build

jim65wagon

I like the lines of the first one better. If you have extra cash you could buy another and try to fit it a little better. I don't see any real reason to do that though. It looks about a million times better than I would have done, and has a pretty darned good "this Tacoma came from the factory with a winch" look to it.
As for the rack; does the Tacoma have stake pockets like the Tundra? If so, a simple and removeable rack like mine (an aluminum version would be sweet! I need to learn to weld aluminum!) would work well as a kayak rack.....

01tundra

Explorer
Not stake pockets on mine, I was thinking about bolting down some Thule rails on top of the plastic bed rail caps I installed, and then go from there. If I buy the entire Thule rack, it's about $500 just for the basic rack & crossbars.....but I do like how the feet lock to the rail and are quick disconnect.

pcjeeper

Observer
What about this: Thule 422XT Xsporter™ Multi-Height Aluminum Truck Rack

422XT_oc_sized_618x408.jpg

A little spendy, but it would easily hold your kayaks...and any other toys (i.e. skis, bikes, etc.). Might not hold the rooftop tent in the raised position, but might manage it in the lowered position. And I believe this setup fits the Tacoma box.

jim65wagon

What if you just laid some flat stock on the bed rail and clamped it down with those bolt-on bed cap type clamps?
21zAq9mj5pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You could easily weld up a rack using the flat stock as a base. Clamp it on to use, declamp to store in the garage.
Or would that just come across looking getto?

Edit: This would only work if you are not going to use a cover of some sort. With a cover I think you'll have to mount something through or directly on top of the bed rail in a slightly more permanent fashion.....I'm not sure how the Thule feet attach.....

Last edited:

01tundra

Explorer
Since the longest kayak I'll be carrying is 7'-9", I was leaning toward having something low profile so I could throw a basket on it when we weren't paddling. I figured it could serve double duty that way, more carrying capacity for camping trips, and boat carrying when we're paddling, or both at the same time. On trips where we camp & paddle, was thinking about keeping the area under the bed cover free for gear and have the boats up top.

01tundra

Explorer
What if you just laid some flat stock on the bed rail and clamped it down with those bolt-on bed cap type clamps?
21zAq9mj5pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You could easily weld up a rack using the flat stock as a base. Clamp it on to use, declamp to store in the garage.
Or would that just come across looking getto?

I was leaning toward a rack that could be used in conjunction with my bed cover. That's why I like Thule's quick release feet -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002MBP64/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

jim65wagon

Gotcha, four of those quick release feet and two bars would haul kayaks, you could buy or build a basket that mounts to the bars to carry other gear as needed.

01tundra

Explorer
Gotcha, four of those quick release feet and two bars would haul kayaks, you could buy or build a basket to carry other gear as needed.

Yeah. I also like that Thule uses square bars.

I kind of like this basket for when we're traveling. I bought a Thule soft roof-top carry bag for the '09 UA and have yet to use it, but was thinking that I could possible strap it down in this basket -

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Ve..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1GCVA0663R3NB231WDZD

01tundra

Explorer
Problem is, when you buy all the pieces and parts (locks, rails, basket, etc) it ends up being $610 :Wow1:!
And that's before the kayak mounts are even considered....

jim65wagon

Nice looking basket. Is 150lbs enough? I know I put more than that on my rack easily.....of course, no one will ever accuse me of packing light!
buy the feet and bars and make your own basket?

01tundra

Explorer
Nice looking basket. Is 150lbs enough? I know I put more than that on my rack easily.....of course, no one will ever accuse me of packing light!
buy the feet and bars and make your own basket?

Yep, would probably be pushing it. The Thule rack is only rated for 165 lbs....

01tundra

Explorer
Put the original valance back on last night. Also installed some Chevy tow hooks and modified the factory attachment for my winch line while I had it all apart.

h1-2.jpg

h2-1.jpg

docjake

Observer
I know that you use your equipment so I have greater respect for your opinions then others. My question being it looks like you are running a viking winch line would you say that is a better line then master pull?

01tundra

Explorer
I know that you use your equipment so I have greater respect for your opinions then others. My question being it looks like you are running a viking winch line would you say that is a better line then master pull?

IMO you could flip a coin because they are both quality products. I had the Viking rope laying in my shop so that's what I decided to run this time. I really like Masterpull as well, the only rope of theirs that didn't work good for me was their super strong version with the woven sheath over the rope. It was really hard to keep wound right on the spool and always seemed to want to squeeze between wraps because it was super stiff and slick. I had good luck with their standard 3/8" rope though. I've had equally wonderful customer service out of each company as well......don't really think you could go wrong with either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal