05+ Tacoma Roof Basket Build

Hey guys, I started on my roof basket build. I'll update this thread as I go along. Let me know what yall think.

Original Design:
roof_rack_assem.jpg

Build:
DSC01455.jpg

DSC01453.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!

Very nice, I was playing around with the idea of building a basket to go over my bed out of conduit. How are you welding it, are you sanding off the galvinization?

Very nice, I was playing around with the idea of building a basket to go over my bed out of conduit. How are you welding it, are you sanding off the galvinization?

I'm using a MIG welder (230V, 180A I think). It's actually pretty easy to weld. This is my first welding project and I've been able to do well on it. I'm leaving the galvanizing on. Word of caution though, use some sort of gaseous respirator. The zinc from the galvanizing will mess you up. I didn't wear a respirator last time and I got light-headed and my jaw muscles got sore! It was kind of scary. So yea, weld in a well ventilated area (not inside like me) and wear a respirator and you should be good.

Yea the zinc is what I was worried about. If I decide to give it a try I might just try sanding as much of it as I can and working ouside.

Geno_T10098

They sell a spray, called galv-off its pink in color, it will take the galvinized coating right off, no need to sand the pipes.

Update:

Building has been slow due to school but the basket is finally done. All I have to do now is paint it and build some crossbars. Here's some pics.

Light tabs:
DSC01487.jpg

Tabs for bolting on a ferring:
DSC01490.jpg

DSC01491.jpg

Light tabs for the rear lights:
DSC01492.jpg

Use the bat for scale
DSC01495.jpg

Atleast my pup likes it!!
DSC01493.jpg

Let me know what you guys think

PajEvo

JDM Journeys
<hijack>What kind of dog? Man he's a handsome boy!</hijack>

Did you purposely size it so it would fit in the bed as well as the roof? Sure would be handy at times... Very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl