05+ Tacoma Roof Basket Build

Any progress on this? I am about to set off and start my build.

Sorry on the delay guys. I nearly finished with everything. I've got some more grinding to do on the crossbars so they will bold to the the roof. The contours of the roof make the mounting very difficult. Hopefully it will all be done and mounted in the next 2 weeks. I'll post pictures when I finish.

soonenough

Explorer
tooblu - this is a really cool build. How many hours would you say you have in this project?

Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know the yield / tensile strength of the steel used to make EMT conduit? I found one website that claimed it's made from "high-grade mild strip steel", which is pretty ambiguous. I'm considering using it to make the support bars for an elevated bed rack, and would like to know the material strength so I can figure out the amount of weight it could safely carry.

tooblu - this is a really cool build. How many hours would you say you have in this project?

Somewhat off topic, but does anyone know the yield / tensile strength of the steel used to make EMT conduit? I found one website that claimed it's made from "high-grade mild strip steel", which is pretty ambiguous. I'm considering using it to make the support bars for an elevated bed rack, and would like to know the material strength so I can figure out the amount of weight it could safely carry.

Thanks! Man, it's been too many to count. But granted if I was a better fabricator I could have cut a lot of time out probably. I've learned a lot better ways of doing things as I went along.

As easily as it bends, I would say the yield strength is quite low. Tensile, however should be high as it is steel. The low yield strength of the EMT I would contribute to being a function of it's thickness (or lack thereof). My rack is extremely solid though, more so than I would have thought.

Anyways, here's some pictures of the mostly finished project! I've still got some painting to do, then a lot of silicone to apply, then it should be sealed! As for now, you can atleast see how it's going to look. Let me know what yall think!

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg

These are the crossbars that will stay on my truck permanently. The basket will be easily removed by 4 U-bolts.

IMG_1824.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3