06 Tacoma custom tiregate build

After finishing my roof rack build, I wanted to start another project. I settled on designing and building a tiregate that would replace the original tailgate.

The gate will be made of 1.5" square tube. The brackets are 3/16" steel. The bushings are going to be machined out of delrin, and I'll be using beefy SS shoulder bolts for the hinge points. Toggle clamps will lock the gate in place. It will bolt directly onto the the truck.

I plan on adding atleast a Hi-Lift to the gate and possibly some other goodies as long as it holds up to the weight.

Here are some preliminary renderings of the design. For some reason the side-view rendering doesn't include the support gusset for the tube that the tire is mounted to.

tiregate1.jpg

tiregate4.jpg

tiregate3.jpg

tiregate2.jpg

Here's some progress shots:
IMG_7787.jpg

IMG_7790.jpg

IMG_7788.jpg

IMG_8099-1.jpg

IMG_8096.jpg

IMG_8097.jpg

This is only my second fab project and truthfully my first welding project (the roof basket was welding conduit, not heavy steel) so I'm still working on my welds, but they are slowly getting better. These are the hinge tubes:
IMG_8115.jpg

I'll keep updating as I go along. It's been a slow go thus far due to life, but I'm hoping to finish it up the first of the year.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks guys!

Little update. Made some progress on the gate. There will be a lot of cleaning work to do on the spatter since its flux core but its coming along pretty well I think.

Here's some pics:
IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8127.jpg

Added some gussets to the hinge brackets, tried to get a little artistic with it. Made em curvy. Haha.
IMG_8130.jpg

IMG_8133.jpg

IMG_8134.jpg

IMG_8136-1.jpg

Still a lot left to go on it but its getting there!

update:

The gate is done! I didn't get the opportunity to add all the features that I wanted though (Jerry can and hi-lift) due to weight constraints. The gate does do a great job at holding the weight of the tire though. It also swings very easily and I haven't added any grease yet either. All in all it turned out to be a great project for me. Allowed me to get some more fab experience/skills down to keep working on bigger projects. Let me know what you guys think about it!

Here's some pictures of it finished before Rhino-Lining:

IMG_8146-1.jpg

IMG_8149.jpg

IMG_8150.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8153.jpg

IMG_8154.jpg

IMG_8156.jpg

Here's a couple shots after the Rhino-Lining the night I got it back. Still need to get some day shots.

IMG_8160.jpg

IMG_8164.jpg

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8171.jpg

The Rhino-Lining is one heck of a coating I'd have to say. I didn't plan for it to be as thick as it was so that presented an issue with fitment. I had to remove it in some areas (especially holes) and repaint that area with spray. I would definitely just do a textured powdercoat if I had to do it again.

Let me know what you guys think!

dep3091

Hi. I'm on TacomaWorld under the same user name but I joined here just to ask you if are willing to make and sell another one, maybe with a minor change?

Hi. I'm on TacomaWorld under the same user name but I joined here just to ask you if are willing to make and sell another one, maybe with a minor change?

Perhaps, I thought of selling my current one to fund a rear bumper build. What change would you be referring to?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl