'07 Tacoma Budget Buildup

Hey everybody, I've been lurking around here for a while trying to see what you're all about and now that "Phase 1" of my 2007 Tacoma Budget Buildup is completed, I thought I'd make my presence known!

I'm trying to build a capable camping, hunting, fishing and adventuring rig on the income of a part-time college student, part-time paramedic. I'm trying to focus on bang-for-the-buck modifications that will allow me to get me and my gear to my favorite places and back home again. I plan on using the truck for beach camping, duck and deer hunting, kayak expeditions and surf fishing trips.

Make: Toyota
Model: Tacoma Double Cab 4WD SR5 TRD Off Road
Year: 2007

Engine: 4.0 1GR-FE
Trans: 5 spd Auto A750F
T-Case: VF2A
Front Axle: Stock Toyota IFS w/ 3" OME 885 springs
Rear Axle: Stock Toyota E-Locker with "Locker Mod", Alcan AAL
Tires: 255/85 R16 BFG MT/KM
Wheels: Stock Toyota TRD Alloys

Current Mods:
OME 885 Coils
Alcan AAL
Leer 100XL Cap with Adventure Sports Package
Coleman Safari Basket
Garmin eTrex GPS
Rechargeable Maglight
Bed-mounted Shovel, Hi-Lift, Fire Extinguisher
Rear Receiver Recovery Hook
Sony 10-Disc CD Changer
USA Spec PA-TOY iPod Interface
Advanced Life Support Medical Kit
H&K USP .45
Trimmed Exhaust
"Fog Light" Mod
Trailer Harness Relocation Mod
Cobra 75WX ST CB
Additional In-cab DC Outlet
Sway Bar Removal

Upcoming "Phase 2" Mods:

Hella 500 lights x 2
Homemade Bed Storage System
Sliders
Transfer Case Skidplate
Diff Breather Extension
Back-Up Lights
Fishing Rod Holders

Pictures:
truck008.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck006.jpg

Coleman Safari Basket ($59 at Costco!!!!)
truck011.jpg

Garmin eTrex GPS (Portable and with a 1 GB memory card, I've got topo maps for the entire eastern seaboard.)
truck012.jpg

BFG 255/85R16 MT (Fit great with OME 885 coils and Alcan AAL, no rubbing)
truck009.jpg

Rechargeable Maglight
truck016.jpg

Bed-Mounted Tools
truck021.jpg

iPod interface
truck013.jpg

This is a great site you've got, thanks to all the contributors for helping folks like me get into this awesome pastime!

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Technically, I can't speak to you because I'm a lifelong Dookie.... But that's a really cool truck you've outfitted, so (begrudgingly...)

Welcome to ExPo - :beer:

Give my regards to the debutantes on Franklin St.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Welcome - very nice truck! Silver is the BEST color :sombrero:

If you don't have the JBL stereo system, I saw a pretty cool/simple mod done for stowing fishing poles behind the back seat. The guy just drilled holes in the plastic back there so that the poles could slide from one side of the cubbies to the other. Just a thought....

Oh, and if you wheel it hard enough, your back tire can trim the exhaust pipe for you ;)

Good luck in the NCAA tourney - I love ACC b'ball!

kcowyo said:
Technically, I can't speak to you because I'm a lifelong Dookie....

Really? Alumnus or fan?

I used to want to go to Duke, but then I turned 7. (;), all in good fun)

Great school, I actually applied and was accepted there, but chose UNC because they gave me a free ride.

I work in Durham, so I spend a lot of time at Duke Hospital and the surrounding area. The female population of West Durham has really stepped it up over the last couple years, I've pulled a :Wow1: a few times over there recently.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
KingCrabberCurry said:
Really? Alumnus or fan?

I used to want to go to Duke, but then I turned 7.

:bowdown:

I'm an NC native who had neither the GPA, nor the discipline to get into Duke. Took my B minus average up to Boone/ASU and lived happily ever after.

When it comes to hoops, I've been one of the crazies for 20 years. When it comes to the debs, Chapel Thrill has always been hard to beat.

My sister still lives in Charlotte, but I haven't been back to NC since '99. I need to remedy that...

kcowyo said:
My sister still lives in Charlotte, but I haven't been back to NC since '99. I need to remedy that...

Come on back to CH sometime, the girls are just as pretty and the blue cups at He's Not Here are just as cold as you remember them. :drool: :friday: :beer:

Rob O

Adventurer
Practical and functional build ... nicely done.

Don't see mention of after market shocks/struts; are you using stock bits still? Also, how many miles have you logged with the 885s and what kind of settling did you witness.

Good looking truck.

Rob O said:
Don't see mention of after market shocks/struts; are you using stock bits still? Also, how many miles have you logged with the 885s and what kind of settling did you witness.

Still stock for now, I'm planning a trip two weekends from now and if the stock shocks perform up to snuff, then I'll keep them.

I've only put about 275 miles on with the 885s, so I can't really comment on the settling yet. All I can say is that my gas mileage has taken a swift kick to the man region. Went from 16.8-17.5 when stock, and after I filled up today I calculated it to be 13.6 (and that's after making adjustments for the larger tires).

Good thing gas is so cheap, otherwise that would really eat into my budget for future mods....:yikes: Seriously though, I filled up for $3.22/gal this morning, and it was almost $70! I can't imagine what you CA boys are going through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy