'07 Tacoma Budget Buildup

tacollie said:
I fill your fuel woes, but it is worth it even with gas going up like it is. I was wondering if your wheels rubbed the frame at full lock? I dig the practicality of your truck.

There is a little bit of rubbing of the driver's side tire when at full lock in reverse. Nothing major though, as far as I can tell, it seems like the sway bay is the problem, so hopefully that will correct itself after I get rid of the sway bar.

On a mileage-related note, I recently got 17.8 MPG round trip from the Raleigh/Durham area to Hilton Head, SC. I took the roof basket off for driving around town and that has helped a tremendous amount. No more getting blown all over the highway either. It's easy to put back on if I need the extra space for a trip.

I'm not looking into the black rat anymore. I've got all the accoutrements for the Hi-Lift to use it as a winch and I can't justify having a piece of gear such as the Black Rat that only performs one duty. I've tried to design my rig with a premium placed on functionality, so single-use tools like the Black Rat fall by the wayside in favor of multi-use tools like the Hi-Lift.

I think the next two planned mods for my truck are a tarp/awning setup similar to what BajaTaco is running and some Stubbs sliders, probably the HD-SKO model.

I recently mounted an MV-50 compressor in my engine bay, which you can read about here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16835

I'll try and get some pictures of the new bed setup up soon.

Couple of new additions to my truck as of the past week:

- BlueSea Auxillary Fuse Block (6 circuit ST blade-type) mounted in engine bay, driver's side fender near the brake cylinder

- Rewired all aftermarket electronics through fuse block

- Added an additional 12 V DC outlet at the rear of the center console

- Added a permanent charging cradle for my handheld Marine VHF radio

- Installed a Cobra 75 WX ST CB radio with a 3' Firefly antenna mounted in the hood channel on the passenger's side; junction box mounted under driver's seat, mic hanger installed to the driver's side of the center console

- Added Firestik AR-1A "Match-maker" to CB antenna, thereby allowing it to pull double duty as an AM/FM antenna as well as CB

- Removed stock AM/FM antenna

- Organized "Bug Out Box" in the Bed; an action packer with recovery gear, emergency food and shelter supplies, tools, electrical fix it kit, tire repair items and ALS medical supplies

Pictures coming when it's not so rainy out!

buddha

Adventurer
I've been enjoying this thread. Looking forward to seeing pics of the new mods. And let me know if you find some cool local spots to wheel/camp. I'm always looking... :sombrero:

GO HEELS!

Removed my sway bar today in anticipation of greater articulation on a wheeling trip this weekend. There is a noticable increase in body roll, even just driving it round the block. I'll be interested to see how it feels at highway speeds, this truck is my DD and I can't afford to sacrifice on-road stability and safety for off-road performance.

Full report, with pics of all the new mods and some wheeling and camping photos from this weekend, will be posted next week.

Side note: Anyone running Dakars out back in conjunction with a shackle lift? Would you recommend it? I'm looking for a replacement for my AAL and I think the Dakars are my #1 choice at the moment, but I'm worried that with a 200 lb. topper, a bed full of gear and 3-4 jerry cans on the roofrack even the 2.75" offered by the Dakars will be offset. Do they increase payload capacity? What shocks are you running with your Dakars? Is a shackle lift just a bad idea when used in conjunction with the Dakars?

Thanks for the help.

Side-side Note: Picked up two jerry cans off CL the other day for $20. They are rhino-lined and came with spouts. I'm planning on using both of them for fuel as I ran over my previous fuel can during a trip to the beach last fall.

jerrycans.jpg

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Are you looking to do a shackle conversion first?

Seems like there's been a lot of discussion lately about the load carrying abilities of the Dakars, and that they excel in this area in comparison to the other off-the-shelf leaf packs you can get for the 05+ Tacoma. And you've got the option of an additional overload spring if you underestimate your weight requirements at first pass.

As far as the sway bar goes, everyone will have a different opinion. In my case, I recall noticing it quite a bit on the first day when I was trying to test the changes. On the second day I noticed it less, the third day I could still make the front end dive, and after about a week I forgot what a sway bar is....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy