100 Series Rear bumper build.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Building this for my brother, so a bit of back story and some pictures. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but some here like these sorts of things.

My brother bought a 1999 100 series Cruiser in "Champagne", with 200k on the clock. Truck was over all in pretty good shape, minus a few of the more annoying things, like the imobilizer and some slow windows, but we *think* we have the imobilizer figured out, and the windows are getting new track rubber and the regulators cleaned here soon.

Anyway, my brother was married in Nepal a few years ago, and came back to the states last December. In March, his wife was able to finally come here on a "fiance" visa (the US State Department and Homeland Security do not recognize Nepali weddings), and they did a quick courthouse wedding to satisfy the state department per the terms of the visa. After that, they did a honeymoon in Utah, rock climbing, doing slot canyons, and some hiking up on ************** Benches via Black Dragon Canyon. Since he never has had a truck with a locker before, he was keen to try it out, and promptly did this:

VZM.IMG952015032695184333.jpg

Broke the driver wing mounts and put a small bend in the lower corner of the tail gate. That was the motivation for the build.

I've been very impressed with the cruiser frame thus far (always had mini-trucks). This rear crossmember is a very nice part of the truck. Its folded and bent 1/8", with some extra plate in the middle for a bolt on hitch of some type. Since the factory tow hitch hung down about 8 inches below this, and I didn't really want to cut it all out since it seems to be a pretty good structure, I simply added to it. The bumper bolts on, but the hitch really doesn't need to, and without removing the crossmember, or have the bumper stick WAAYY out from the back of the truck, I didn't see a good way to get the hitch up without going into the crossmember.

First, I sunk the hitch into the middle:

image.jpg1_3.jpg

Then I got to reinforcing everything:

Plates on the inner frame:

image.jpg4.jpg

image.jpg2.jpg

Plate behind the hitch:

image.jpg3.jpg

I then added 2x3x1/4" tube from the hitch plate to the frame diagonally, to help re-inforce the crossmember and handle the stress of the hitch. I may also plate the top of the crossmember as well, just to be safe. Not sure on that yet.

image.jpg6.jpg

image.jpg5.jpg

image.jpg7.jpg

image.jpg8.jpg

I am finally starting to get the hang of welding on my back under the truck. Its not stacking dimes yet, but its better than when I started trying this stuff. My travel speed and stickout length are still quite variable when working upside down. Well, if I'm honest, I sometimes have trouble on the bench as well, but I'm trying.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Started out plating the top and front. The wings and lower section are all 3/16 plate, the top and cosmetic is 1/8.

image.jpg3_2.jpg

I added some brackets for the swing arm to sit on:

image.jpg1_5.jpg

image.jpg2_2.jpg

Then I cut and bent the swing arm
image.jpg7_1.jpg

After that made up the wings. I got a 20" press break, and a belt grinder and it has been fun learning to use those.
image.jpg9.jpg

I bent and welded the main tire carrier. It needs bracing.

image.jpg1_6.jpg

image.jpg4_1.jpg

image.jpg6_1.jpg

AxleIke

Adventurer
Lots of time with little to show.

First, tons and tons and tons of filling holes with tacks and then carefully smoothing things out. Just a little bit more to do on the main bumper.

image.jpg2_4.jpg

image.jpg1_7.jpg

Next I got to work on the swing out. I decided to have some fun with my dimple dies. I first drilled out and flared the center section. I got some proper sheet metal hole cutters which are a joy compared to hole saws.

image.jpg3_3.jpg

Then I set to work on the side supports, which, having more surface area, I decided to drill at a variety of diameters.

image.jpg4_2.jpg

After a bit of work, they were ready to go on

image.jpg5_2.jpg

Then I welded everything up while the carrier was clamped down to the table so no warping/movement would happen. I'm not sold on the look at this time, but I want to see it with the tire I place before I change it up. I did add a hitch just like mine, as my 4Runners works awesome with bikes! I also fully braced the tire support. I need to clean up and re weld one part, but that won't take long with the gouging tip on the plasma cutter.

image.jpg6_2.jpg

image.jpg7_2.jpg

image.jpg8_2.jpg

image.jpg9_1.jpg

AxleIke

Adventurer
Lol. i have no real sense of style, or, as I like to say "stylistically challenged". :D

As I said though, even I'm not sure the speed hole plates are going to stay. It was fun to try them, and the center will stay, but the two side supports are not certain yet. I need to put the tire on before I make a decision.

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
I can see uses for the receiver you incorporated already. I've got mine on the bench, just have to finish when I get home. I steal all ideas, and you have given me
a couple. You could have a nice wide drop down table along the inside for when the tire carrier is open. I'm trying to develop a hanger for the backside of the tire
support that will have my snatch strap hanging off of it. So It's there when I need it. And it stays there when it is ultimately covered in mud and dirt.

Adventurous

Explorer
Looking good! I wish my brother would make me a rear bumper.

Any particular reason why you chose to have the spare tire center mounted on the swingout as opposed to shifted towards the spindle side?

AxleIke

Adventurer
Thanks! Tell your brother to get cracking!!! :D

The mount is just personal preference. I (and I guess my brother since he wanted me to do the same) prefer a symmetrical look rather than the one side vs the other. By that I mean usually guys have the spare on one side and gas cans/ what have you on the other. I like to have the spare centered and cans on either side.

The plan is that later I will build A jerry can rack that bolts into the swing arm hitch mount. The hitch will mostly hold a bike rack in my brothers case but he also ran out of gas coming out of the Maze 5 years ago in his old 95 4Runner so he is keen for some gas cans. Either way everything swings out with the tire. The can mount will position 1 can on either side of the tire.

In the end it doesn't matter much, though the largest advantage to sitting the tire to one side is so you can run dual swing outs which cuts down on the length of the arm dramatically, but does add a third step to the opening of the tail gate (stock is just one: open the gate, with a single arm you have two: open the arm then open the gate, etc...)

AxleIke

Adventurer
My brother lives in Tuscon now so I waited until he visited for thanksgiving to put it on the truck. Had it powder coated at Colorado Powdercoating in Denver. Highly recommend them if you are in the Denver Area. I've used them for years.

I also had some 285's BFG KO2's put on for him while he was away, but he still hasn't gotten a 285 spare yet.

Some shots of the finished product going on.

image_6.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image.jpeg

image_7.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

He sent this to me on his way back down. Just outside Buena Vista, Colorado

image_4.jpeg

tarditi

Explorer
Looks really good. Hard to tell from the pics, but is the bottom hitch off-square to the bumper? Not criticism, just observation.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Looks really good. Hard to tell from the pics, but is the bottom hitch off-square to the bumper? Not criticism, just observation.

Huh, I see what you mean. In real life, no, it's pretty square (I think it was off by a 32nd or something like that, it shifted slightly when the final welds went in). It really looks off in those pics though. Maybe those shadows are causing a bit of an illusion.

Strange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater