109 Expedition rig build

TeriAnn

Explorer
Mercedesrover said:
Got the slave mounted and the correct bolts in the bell housing. That's about it.

slave.JPG

I mostly asked for an update because the thread dropped to the second page :) I realize sometimes getting the design right can take some time.

The clutch release leaver operates in the opposite direction of any one I have ever seen. Is that a Mercedes thing?

Did you drill & thread holes in the side of the gearbox case to mount the slave cylinder? It is a really clean instillation.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
TeriAnn said:
The clutch release leaver operates in the opposite direction of any one I have ever seen. Is that a Mercedes thing?

Did you drill & thread holes in the side of the gearbox case to mount the slave cylinder? It is a really clean instillation.

Yup, the pivot is on the opposite side of the bearing instead of being between the slave and bearing like most clutches. Makes for a longer throw but nothing to serious.

The tranny case is drilled and taped to 3/8"-24 and hardened cap-screws threaded in from the inside with Loctite. Stainless nuts and lock-washers on the outside. Thanks!

Jim

nickw

Adventurer
Mercedesrover said:
Yup, the pivot is on the opposite side of the bearing instead of being between the slave and bearing like most clutches. Makes for a longer throw but nothing to serious.

The tranny case is drilled and taped to 3/8"-24 and hardened cap-screws threaded in from the inside with Loctite. Stainless nuts and lock-washers on the outside. Thanks!

Jim

I have been following this thread and your webpage for quite some time, very nice! I have been very impressed with your approach and work quality, professional on both accounts.

I think you made the right decision on engine choice, one of the few (if not the only) domestic diesels that are A)reliable B)get good mpg and C)can actually rev. over 3K so you can use a 4-sp tranny. Parts availability is what really kills the foreign diesels in my mind.

I have been waiting patiently for an adapter that mates the OM617 to Cruiser 4-sp promised by 4x4labs.com. Breath is not being held though-

Again, keep up the good work-

Mercedesrover

Explorer
nickw said:
I have been waiting patiently for an adapter that mates the OM617 to Cruiser 4-sp promised by 4x4labs.com. Breath is not being held though

When hell freezes over! :)

Those dudes have been promising that adapter for 10 years. Is their website still up?

I came this close to bolting a H55F tranny to the back of this engine. I'm sure it could be done and very easily....Just need to have a tranny in front of me for some measurements. No more difficult than doing what I did with the NP435 and really, I'm surprised nobody has done this yet.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. I really love these diesels and they just make sense for a conversion in the US. They're cheap if not free, parts are cheap and easy and they last forever. What else could you ask for?

Jim

Edit: Did I really say there instead of their? What's the matter with me?

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
nickw said:
I have been following this thread and your webpage for quite some time, very nice! I have been very impressed with your approach and work quality, professional on both accounts.

I think you made the right decision on engine choice, one of the few (if not the only) domestic diesels that are A)reliable B)get good mpg and C)can actually rev. over 3K so you can use a 4-sp tranny. Parts availability is what really kills the foreign diesels in my mind.

I have been waiting patiently for an adapter that mates the OM617 to Cruiser 4-sp promised by 4x4labs.com. Breath is not being held though-

Again, keep up the good work-

I talked to Luke at 4X4 Labs last week. He is in the final stages for his adapters. Should have something early next year.

I know from experience it's hard to run a company that pays it bills where R&D on new products is only one small part of the business. I think we'd all like to have a full time R&D department but it usually get relegated to doing what you can when you can.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Depending on the clearance issues, I would have built out a bracket from the bellhousing or transmission to hold the slave cylinder in the right orientation, but your installation looks cleaner and probably will be fine.

I'm very impressed and inspired to get wrenching, despite it being -4F outside and 43F in the garage.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Martyn said:
I talked to Luke at 4X4 Labs last week. He is in the final stages for his adapters. Should have something early next year.

Seems like there's really a demand for this and I don't understand what the trouble is. Ship me an H41 or an H55F and I'll have a bell housing on the front of it in a week. I don't know the guy and I'm not into Toyota stuff but if I were I'd be all over it.

jim

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Martyn said:

That's the best news I've heard in a while. That would be my number one swap into my 55!!

Jim,

If it doesn't work out with 4x4Labs, give me some time and I may be giving you a call about an H41/2 or H55.

By the way, this build is awesome!!!

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Mercedesrover said:
Seems like there's really a demand for this and I don't understand what the trouble is. Ship me an H41 or an H55F and I'll have a bell housing on the front of it in a week. I don't know the guy and I'm not into Toyota stuff but if I were I'd be all over it.

jim

I couldnt agree more. There is always lots of talk over at IH8mud and misc. toyota forums about adaption of the OM motors to Toyota Trannys. I have personally though about putting up some R&D $$ with a local machine shop and then selling them.

I got really excited when I heard you were going to use the H55 a year or so ago, but you had to go and change that up on us! Damn...

I spoke to Luke at 4x4 as well, about a month ago, he said it just needs to be bolted up. He must have 50 guys waiting on it from all the talk around the various boards.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
nickw said:
I couldnt agree more. There is always lots of talk over at IH8mud and misc. toyota forums about adaption of the OM motors to Toyota Trannys. I have personally though about putting up some R&D $$ with a local machine shop and then selling them.

I got really excited when I heard you were going to use the H55 a year or so ago, but you had to go and change that up on us! Damn...

I spoke to Luke at 4x4 as well, about a month ago, he said it just needs to be bolted up. He must have 50 guys waiting on it from all the talk around the various boards.

Sounds like about 53 or 54 now :wings:

nickw

Adventurer
ChuckB said:
That's the best news I've hear in a while. That would be my number one swap into my 55!!

Jim,

If it doesn't work out with 4x4Labs, give me some time and I may be giving you a call about an H41/2 or H55.

By the way, this build is awesome!!!

Make that two phone calls if 4x4Labs drops the ball-

RHINO

Expedition Leader
nickw said:

not to hijack,, this thread is a great read so far, always interested in diesel swaps. but i am at least one guy who got bored waiting for luke and forged my own ground dropping an izuzu 4BD1T into my FJ55, i was on board with the OM617 but my gosh i just got tired waiting and wanted a diesel in my pig,,, i'll tell you all that it was a great decision and i absolutely love it !!

nickw

Adventurer
RHINO said:
not to hijack,, this thread is a great read so far, always interested in diesel swaps. but i am at least one guy who got bored waiting for luke and forged my own ground dropping an izuzu 4BD1T into my FJ55, i was on board with the OM617 but my gosh i just got tired waiting and wanted a diesel in my pig,,, i'll tell you all that it was a great decision and i absolutely love it !!

You have a thread going over on IH8mud.com right? If so, I have been following that closely-

My problem is I want to retain my 4-sp tranny, which pretty much rules out the 4BD1/2. Although, based purely on numbers, you might be able to make it work. With 3.73 gears and 33" tires I would be pushin 2300 RPM at 60 mph. Seems a little on the high side for that motor, but would be OK for non highway, country road type driving.

You used a R151 right? That would be a sweet setup in a 40-

RHINO

Expedition Leader
yes thats me,,,,i was on the fence with that tranny and i have an H55 in the shed just waiting. after driving mine around so much now i dont think 2300 would be that bad. but the merc would be a better engine for the higher rpm 4 speed tranny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk