109 Expedition rig build

Yorker

Adventurer
Mercedesrover said:
Edit: Did I really say there instead of their? What's the matter with me?

It is the internet- I could write AND spell before I started using the internet and visiting boards...

It looks really good so far- I can't wait to have you finish this- I really want to know how this works on the road.:)

My brother was talking about puting a Diesel in his FJ55 project... I'll steer him to this thread.

Last edited:

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Thanks Matt. Things had slowed a bit for the holidays but with them over I should be back at it. With the engine/tranny/t-case together and ready I'll start working on the axles. The housings are apart, shafts are here and I've just to order the swivels, brakes, bearing, etc. to get them together. I'll start cutting and welding on the housings this week and will post some new photos in a few days.

Still plan on having a rolling chassis by late winter or early spring. Time will tell.

Yorker

Adventurer
Did you decide what to do about brakes? Drums or discs?

That 109 you got in Binghamton just had Rover diffs F+R right? No Sals?

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Yorker said:
Did you decide what to do about brakes? Drums or discs?

That 109 you got in Binghamton just had Rover diffs F+R right? No Sals?

I'm sticking with the drums. It's a NADA 2.6 I started with so it has the same 3" drums as the Stage One. They're a known quantity and I feel they're just fine for my needs.

Yes, this truck has Rover style diffs front and rear and will get the same 30-spline/Toyota E-lockers set-up as the 88" only this truck is getting 4:10 gears. With the Ashcroft HR T-case and no overdrive I'm expecting good highway gearing and with the 6:68 first-gear NP435 it should be great off-road too.

Yorker

Adventurer
Well those drum brakes are the best LR made so the drums will probably be fine for you, if not I guess you could always play with different boosters too. The only place I've seen them to be a problem is when offroading when trying to hold on an incline- particularly when you stall and lose vacuum. As long as you have a good parking brake and are aware of the issue you'll be ok. It is too bad there aren't as many disc brake options available for LRs as there are for TLCs. http://www.ih8mud.com/cruisertech.php

I guess I'm going to end up ditching the Rover axles entirely and use FJ60 ones if I can get a set, I already swapped off the rear Sals so I am kind of committed to that now anyway. ;)

Hey do you think you could fab a MB diesel adapter for a HF42?

Yorker

Adventurer
Mercedesrover said:
Sure I could. Do you have a HF42 out of a truck and in your hands?
Are they the same dimensions as the HF55?

jim

It isn't out yet but it may be soon.

I think they are but I am not 100% sure, I'm not really up on TLC trannys- I think the popular swap with FJ60s withthe h42f is the h55f and I remember reading it "dropped" in? Where is Dieselcruiserhead? He'd know for sure.

I'll go see what I can find out about it on Ih8mud...

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Yorker said:
It isn't out yet but it may be soon.

I think they are but I am not 100% sure, I'm not really up on TLC trannys- I think the popular swap with FJ60s withthe h42f is the h55f and I remember reading it "dropped" in? Where is Dieselcruiserhead? He'd know for sure.

I'll go see what I can find out about it on Ih8mud...

Its a straight drop in for the '85+ FJ60's. Something about a spacer on '84 and older, I used to know this but its been awhile...

Mercedesrover

Explorer
I've got a couple of these bellhousings left and have offered to build this for the Toyota guys, but interest seems to end at the checkbook. That's probably why the guys at 4X4Labs haven't bothered yet either.

Not sure what you're building these days Matt, but if it's something I can help you with, drop me a note. You're pretty close and it would be easy to get something together.

Jim

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Alright, the holidays are over and enough screwin' around. Time to get some work done.

Diffs are apart. Original stud holes are welded up and ground down. That surface also has to be notched for the locking mechanism. I also cut the pan off and will weld new ones with check-plugs. No, I'm not going to sewer-cap these diffs. I probably should but I didn't on the last set I did either.

diff1.jpg

The axles shafts are almost ready too. Just need to drill the flange holes and mount the spacer ring. U-joints need to be installed too! The diffs are here and all the rest of the axle pieces are on the way from George at RDS. (brakes, bearings, seals, swivel balls, etc.) A great guy, that George!

diff2.jpg

Anyway, look for more progress over the next week or so. I should be able to get these together pretty quick.

jim

Last edited:

Yorker

Adventurer
Jim-

I sent you an email. I know what you are talking about when it comes to people pulling out checkbooks...

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
Are you going to replace the breathers with a remote style?

Yup. I'll screw nipples into the housings and run clear plastic pipe up to the top of the bulkhead along with the transfer case port. Did the same thing on my 88". The old breathers are in there just to keep the dust out for now.

jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk