109 Expedition rig build

TeriAnn

Explorer
What's going on with that unique front cross member?

Is the stock looking part of the front cross member in the stock 109 frame front to rear location?

It appears that you have the frame engine mounts in place. How did you do that without trial fits?

New pictures beget new questions

DCH109

Adventurer
Looking good Jim,

Teriann i think he did the test fitting pic on the first page.

Keep us posted.
My build is about to start this weekend.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
TeriAnn said:
What's going on with that unique front cross member?

Is the stock looking part of the front cross member in the stock 109 frame front to rear location?

It appears that you have the frame engine mounts in place. How did you do that without trial fits?

New pictures beget new questions

It's a Stage-One frame, TeriAnn. The front x-member is further forward than in a standard Series frame. You'll also notice the absence of the huge welded second x-member that you'll find in a Series frame. These two things together leave lots of room for goofy engine and tranny combos. Guess that's why Rover built this frame like this to begin with!

Yup, the engine was sitting in there to locate the engine mounts before re-galvanizing, thought the tranny wasn't on it at that time. Hope to set the whole lump in there Monday night. I still need to fabricate a x-member underneath the tranny for which I welded a couple threaded plates to the bottom of the frame. Should be pretty straight forward.

jim

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Set the motor/tranny/t-case today. Steering box too.

chassis5.jpg

chassis6.jpg

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I'm curious about the frame beefing you did for your power steering. How thick was the plate you used? Hoe did you decide on the box positioning? Do the bolts run all the way through the frame, and if so, did you use some sort of tube spacer to keep the frame from compressing? As soon as my frame arrives I'm looking at the same mod, so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:
I'm curious about the frame beefing you did for your power steering. How thick was the plate you used? Hoe did you decide on the box positioning? Do the bolts run all the way through the frame, and if so, did you use some sort of tube spacer to keep the frame from compressing? As soon as my frame arrives I'm looking at the same mod, so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Mine has a 3/8ths inch steel plate & bolts going all the way through. I know of another with a half inch plate and the holes threaded.

Pictures & story here

I understand that Timm Cooper switched from using Scout II power steering boxes to Range rover III boxes. He believe the Rangies finally are using a strong power steering box.

Jim,

Thats the first Stage I frame I've seen. How did they strengthen it to eliminate the under bulkhead cross member?

Could the engine swap work with the under the bulkhead cross member in place?

Any chance of detail shots looking down between the right side of the engine and frame, including one showing clearance of the transfercase front section? I'd like to oil pan to diff clearance if you don't mind taking a bunch of pictures.

Thanks

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Alaska Mike said:

I welded 3/8" plate on both the inside and outside of the frame with 9/16" ID steel pipe as sleeves all the way through the frame and welded to the reinforcement plates. Should be strong enough! I used 1/2" grade-8 bolts all the way through the frame with nylock nuts on the ouside.

The box is positioned the same as it is in my 88". I used the same box in that truck, though attached a bit differently. It's been there for 4 years now and all is well. An upgrade well worth doing.

If you need any help or some close-up photos, let me know. I'm glad to do what I can for you.

jim

Mercedesrover

Explorer
TeriAnn said:
Jim,

Thats the first Stage I frame I've seen. How did they strengthen it to eliminate the under bulkhead cross member?

Could the engine swap work with the under the bulkhead cross member in place?

Any chance of detail shots looking down between the right side of the engine and frame, including one showing clearance of the transfercase front section? I'd like to oil pan to diff clearance if you don't mind taking a bunch of pictures.

Thanks

There is a small bolt-in x-member under the bell housing that I'll be able to retain in this truck. As far as an original Stage-one, that's all there is. I've also welded two threaded plates to the bottom of the frame that I will bolt a fabricated x-member to and use to mount the two transfer case mounts. That should help add some strength.

Whether this swap would work with a standard Series frame, I couldn't tell you yet. When it's done I can compare with my 88" and see if there's room. I'd expect trouble with that second welded x-member.

I'll take some more pictures of the frame/engine and post them tomorrow. Lots of room between the diff and oil pan! That's good news.

jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk