109 Expedition rig build

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Some more pictures for you, TeriAnn.

Original bolt-in x-member fits just fine and is back in. A second bolt in x-member to hold up the tranny/t-case was fabricated and is also in. I had welded threaded plates to the bottom of the frame rails to accept this member before it was regalvanized. You'll see it uses the original t-case mounts and brackets and the t-case sits in the original position meaning the drive shafts didn't need to be altered. The new member will get galvanized later along with a set of sliders and a front bumper which are yet to be made.

I'll also put a couple pictures of the clearance at the oil pan too. You see there's lots of room.

Jim

chassis10.jpg

chassis11.jpg

chassis12.jpg

chassis13.jpg

chassis14.jpg

chassis15.jpg

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Jim,
I'm disappointed in you...letting that nice shiny paint get covered in all that body filler dust!!!!:Wow1:
Looks good!
JasonT.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Looks BEEAUUUTTTEEFFULLL!

Remember to do your soundproofing on the bulkhead before you get any further. Now is the perfect time to get to those 'hard to reach' areas.

TeriAnn

Explorer
Jim,

I'm really impressed! :clapsmile

I know professional Land Rover mechanics who tried the swap and went to another power plant because the 617 had all those hangy down parts on the right side. I looked at the engine once siting inside a Mercedes and just couldn't see how the engine & a front prop shaft could coexist in a narrow Series frame. And I must say, you have made it look easy.

That is a stock unaltered 6 cyl bulkhead, correct?

You used a Stage I frame. Are you at the point where you could identify any problems with using a 4 cyl 109 frame? With good how to instructions plus a few special parts this could become a popular conversion in the States.

Any speculation as to what the fuel mileage might be?

We're all rooting for you!

1cheerLeader.gif
1cheerLeader.gif
1cheerLeader.gif
1cheerLeader.gif

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Thanks, Teriann.

I'm really happy with how this is coming out. I was a little nervous about setting this bulkhead as I have been relying on measurements and hope that everything would fit. The hard stuff and unknown is behind me now. From here on out it's just small fiddly stuff.

Yes, it's an original, unmolested 6-cyl bulkhead. Well, I put new foot wells, posts, etc. in it, but it's in it's original configuration. Actually, now that I think about it, I did knock the inside corner out of the passenger's foot well to make room for the exhaust, but looking at it now I probably didn't need to.

I would think a standard Series frame would work. When this truck is done I'll have to park it next to the other and compare the two. but yes, I think it could be done. The bulkhead is the biggest hurdle.

I'm expecting 25mpg with this truck. I get that now with my 88" and with more power and higher gearing this should do the same.....I hope.

jim

P.S. That gunk you see dripping out of the bulkhead is the two quarts of rustproofing I poured into it, not rust drooling down!

Last edited:

seriessearcher

Adventurer
I thought it was Drool Jim

Jim,

I thought it was drool from the guys in the shop or maybe other rover folks who stopped by to see the progress.

Looking good as always.

KevinNY

Adventurer
That NP435 nestled in there is pure sexy, it looks no longer than the original box? Now how do we mate one to a Daihatsu??

Mercedesrover

Explorer
KevinNY said:
That NP435 nestled in there is pure sexy, it looks no longer than the original box? Now how do we mate one to a Daihatsu??

The NP435 with Ike's adapter is the same length as the Rover 4-speed, only much, much stronger. The Rover tranny has been fine in my 88" but it's only 75hp and a light truck. I expect this truck to both carry a load and do it at highway speeds. I didn't think the Rover tranny was up to it. It was expensive and a lot of work to go this route but I'm hoping it will last forever.

Now, to get it into your Daihatsu. No biggie. I'm assuming you're using an adapter plate between the Rover tranny and the Daihatsu engine. Find yourself a manual tranny bell housing for the back of this engine and we'll make it fit. A day's work.

Yorker

Adventurer
KevinNY said:
Thats uncomfortably tempting.

Isn't it?! :D

Kevin have you driven a NP435 before? There is a friend of Howard's near here who is putting one in his lightweight- he is using an adapter he got from Timm Cooper.

He also has a part time LT230 adapted to a T18 and no project for it...

KevinNY

Adventurer
The original daihatsu clutch was cable operated and the fork opening is on the opposite side from the rover gearbox, could be an issue I would think.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
With a hydraulic clutch linkage, that can be dealt with pretty easily. I'm putting a SM465 in my SIII 88, so I think everyone should do it. Seriously though, it will be the last transmission your Rover will ever need, and they don't leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk