12k synthetic line???

muskyman

Explorer
I would not even think of running any 5/16" line on a 12000 lb winch as the line would pull into itself under the load for sure.

My hydro will pull my 3/8" line into itself on heavy pulls, using a smaller diameter line would only make it worse. I have often though of making a move to 7/16" line just to improve the wind charachteristics under load. I have even thought of dropping back to like 60' of 1/2" for the same reason.

If you look at cranes they use much larger diameter line then they need because the larger diameter line when under load will wind onto the spool perfect.

michaelgroves

Explorer
I would not even think of running any 5/16" line on a 12000 lb winch as the line would pull into itself under the load for sure.

My hydro will pull my 3/8" line into itself on heavy pulls, using a smaller diameter line would only make it worse. I have often though of making a move to 7/16" line just to improve the wind charachteristics under load. I have even thought of dropping back to like 60' of 1/2" for the same reason.

If you look at cranes they use much larger diameter line then they need because the larger diameter line when under load will wind onto the spool perfect.

This is one excellent reason for buying a bigger diameter line than you need. Another reason is that over time, there will be some fraying and deterioration of the rope, and a bigger rope will remain well within the pulling capacity of your winch. Ditto any splices etc. I've run my 7/16 Amsteel Blue on a Milemarker hydro for 7 years, and while it's looking a little faded and tatty, it's lasted through lots of use in that time without any issues.

(I look after it, but it has no chafe/heat guard).

My only reservation is that if something breaks when I am winching, I want it to be the winch line, from a safety point of view. From an economic point of view, I'd prefer it to be something else, though!

zimm

Expedition Leader
i opted for the larger dia rope on my old belview (sp?) not for the strength, but the rope diameter. i really have no idea how the rope dia is affected under load, and i didnt want the thinner stuff cutting into the old "not designed with rope in mind" drum on the winch. i figured the thicker rope would end up with almost twice as much pressure dispersion. i like my cheap old winch. i wana keep it.

gearbox

Adventurer
WI have seen a few hooks that have been run into objects that no longer spring shut, this is ok but the hook can come undone if you are not careful when you use it.

If I correctly understand what you are saying, I advise against using a hook that has been damaged so much that the latch misses. If it is the [non-locking] latch then that is different. But any indication that the hook and rigging that it is dimensionally altered means the rigging is compromised and should be retired, period. If I misunderstood then I apologize in advance :)
Source: experience in aerospace manufacturing, where we are notoriously careful.

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
If I correctly understand what you are saying, I advise against using a hook that has been damaged so much that the latch misses. If it is the [non-locking] latch then that is different. But any indication that the hook and rigging that it is dimensionally altered means the rigging is compromised and should be retired, period. If I misunderstood then I apologize in advance :)
Source: experience in aerospace manufacturing, where we are notoriously careful.

big-45098-31594.gif

The latches on these hooks don't provide any structural support. All they do is keep the rope from falling off, but even with that being the case I wouldn't use one that is broken or not working correctly.

-Alex

gearbox

Adventurer
You're saying latch damage is fine and would agree that hook damage is not acceptable? From the bit I quoted earlier I wasn't certain whether you were referring to hook or latch :)

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
You're saying latch damage is fine and would agree that hook damage is not acceptable?
Yes. The latch mechanism, while handy and useful, does not add structural integrity to the hook itself. Should the latch become damaged while the hook itself remains unaffected, winch away.

-----Matt-----

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
The hook issue is another reason to use the Safety Thimble and a 7/8" shackle. I've never had one of the spring loaded hook closure doodads last on any type of winch, overhead crane or even a come-a-long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk