'13 F-150 WELL BUILT only 6k Mi!! Crewcab 4x4

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Had a fantastic Hemi PW that almost got double digit mpg empty!! Around 7.5-8 mpg towing, which I did to Ca and back...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Great truck at a great price!
I understand on bio for the big 7.3L, but I'd also think you could find decent 87oct everywhere you're going, no?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Petrol is obviously doable, but also need more GVW as we found a pop up truck camper. So, in the 3/4- 1 ton trucks, the payback on diesel makes sense...
And we just did 1200 miles this weekend in the'burb ('03 w/ 95k mikes, 2500 4x4 and 8.1 for occasional towing) at 12mpg!! There has to be a reasonable answer for a family of 4 traveling to out of the way venues combined with large stretches of highway getting there. Open to suggestions...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
There has to be a reasonable answer for a family of 4 traveling to out of the way venues combined with large stretches of highway getting there. Open to suggestions...

Ok, understood on more payload capacity, but the F150 EB is like 3000lbs, no? Something like a FWC only weighs ~1000dry, and if you're getting a camper then you're not hauling more than 1bike on the back of the truck, and kayaks and camping gear doesn't weigh that much.

I'm only asking these questions as I'm thinking about an F150 EB CrewCab with a flatbed and FWC Hawk flatbed camper on it, probably Icon susp, 35's, etc...and I'd love to hear more of your experience with the F150 before you sold it. I can PM you if that's more preferred.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
PM is fine, though between you, me and Aaron there must be more in this same dilemma. Perhaps a thread, but which section for best discussion??

The payload is not near 3k#, sadly. Loved the truck otherwise- EB and all!! Very comfy, decent mpg, super quiet- thought I had the formula. Until the addition started:
GVW: 7100#
truck weight empty (5345#), so about 1755# to use
then all the protection, winch, 35" tires- conservative increase of 500#. Camper around 1250 empty, so allow another 250 for supplies, awning, steps, and liquids- again conservative. Then 4 people at around 5-600#, additional gear/luggage for people- not included in the camper weight, food and utensils- pushing another 1k#

So, in the end, at or over capacity without heading down the road with another 36 gallons of fuel for an additional 250#!! I did a 2" leveling spacer, and added the rear air bags which all helped, but brakes and such were all over stressed, and then consider a 7 mile downhill on the Interstate much less say a mile or two down a steep forest gravel road?! Thoughts?? Solutions??

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
PM is fine, though between you, me and Aaron there must be more in this same dilemma. Perhaps a thread, but which section for best discussion??

The payload is not near 3k#, sadly. Loved the truck otherwise- EB and all!! Very comfy, decent mpg, super quiet- thought I had the formula. Until the addition started:
GVW: 7100#
truck weight empty (5345#), so about 1755# to use
then all the protection, winch, 35" tires- conservative increase of 500#. Camper around 1250 empty, so allow another 250 for supplies, awning, steps, and liquids- again conservative. Then 4 people at around 5-600#, additional gear/luggage for people- not included in the camper weight, food and utensils- pushing another 1k#

So, in the end, at or over capacity without heading down the road with another 36 gallons of fuel for an additional 250#!! I did a 2" leveling spacer, and added the rear air bags which all helped, but brakes and such were all over stressed, and then consider a 7 mile downhill on the Interstate much less say a mile or two down a steep forest gravel road?! Thoughts?? Solutions??

Well, crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bad, it's the Regular Cab 4x2 with 5L V8 that's 3120lbs payload;
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

Weird, Ford's site says yours is 5731lbs curb weight;
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/capacities/

Since you had the 6'5 box, yours is a 145"WB.
So you'd have either of these 3 GVWR's/payloads;
SuperCrew 4x4 145" 3.5L EcoBoost V6 7200† 1300†
SuperCrew 4x4 145" 3.5L EcoBoost V6 7200 1520
SuperCrew 4x4 145" 3.5L EcoBoost V6 7650* 1900*

The first is the Limited, third has the Max Trailer tow pkg.

Even at 1900lbs payload, that's not a ton(no pun intended).
My G's payload is about 1350lbs (6834 GVWR, I'm currently weighing in at about 6900lbs, 7400lbs for a big trip...but do have upgraded heavy duty susp, stock brakes--which are actually very good).
So then I got to looking at a Toyota Tacoma DoKa long bed, 1350lbs payload for it--that's worse!...but I know many who are running a FWC/etc on them (many with upgraded susp) so they're probably near the limit too.
I know I know, just because someone else does it doesn't mean it's right or safe...but this brings up an interesting topic for these medium-weight rigs...how to safely increase payload capacity (susp, brakes, tires). Looks like a lot of aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber is req'd!

Currently I don't see any big brake kits from Brembo for the '11+ F150.
Baer has 15" front AND rear kits, but requires 19" wheels; https://baer.com/15-Front-Extreme-Plus-Brake-System-4261409.html
:(

Not your doing Dale as I really appreciate you bringing up the payload as I was initially misinformed, but my parade has been rained on. I was thinking the F150 EB was the formula. It might not be afterall for safely adding a camper/etc.

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
One potential caveat- the new '15 is supposed to be 750+# lighter as they switch to aluminum bodies- much like the new RR's. IF, and a big IF they keep everything else equal, it should increase the payload by the same margin.

As far as the measurements listed above, I used an aftermarket comparison spread sheet, so I do not stand behind them for accuracy. Though, as we all agree- it is not a few hundred pounds we are after.

Lastly, besides the safety issue, realize in todays world of litigation, knowingly exceeding the GVW puts the responsibility on the owner, and likely a good loophole for the insurance company to baulk. Perhaps paranoid, but the reality could be catastrophic financially- just another point to consider.

I am stalling a bit in hopes of greatly increased payload this fall, time will tell.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
One potential caveat- the new '15 is supposed to be 750+# lighter as they switch to aluminum bodies- much like the new RR's. IF, and a big IF they keep everything else equal, it should increase the payload by the same margin.

As far as the measurements listed above, I used an aftermarket comparison spread sheet, so I do not stand behind them for accuracy. Though, as we all agree- it is not a few hundred pounds we are after.

Lastly, besides the safety issue, realize in todays world of litigation, knowingly exceeding the GVW puts the responsibility on the owner, and likely a good loophole for the insurance company to baulk. Perhaps paranoid, but the reality could be catastrophic financially- just another point to consider.

I am stalling a bit in hopes of greatly increased payload this fall, time will tell.

"So you're saying there's a chance....?!?" :cool:

Point taken about the GVW and them most likely underestimating it a bit.

It's a few years out for me anyways, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

zimm

Expedition Leader
i had that conversation with my father. hes waiting to see if the payload jumps on the 150 also. i just dont see that though, as it would be a 3/4 ton then, and cut into the superduty sales. the 150 is marketed as a grocery getter, and i bet they keep the rating the same and lighten the springs for ride comfort, unless pressed by uprated dodges and chevys. remember, take 750 pounds off, and when empty the thing would ride like an empty superduty. not good for lawnmower, gardener dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal